Marantz with Polk SDA SRS 2's How will they pair?

Comments

• @F1nut Sorry , I did not get an alert on my phone for this forum . Sorry for the late reply . I totally understand what you are saying about really boomy bass in a small room .The CRS speakers I am running on the long wall about 10 feet apart from each other . I have them about 6 to 8 inches from the wall and they are actually on old speakers about the same height as the original stands . I have it set up this way because this is the only way my room currently allows them to be set up because of a desk a tv entertainment center and other furniture in the room. I forget what polk recommended as far as setting these up in a room but they do sound incredible . A sealed woofer is a possibility I considered and I actually did have one in here with my Mirage surround sound system that sounded decent. I did sell the Mirage system eventually because I just wasn't really using it for movies and wanted a dedicated audio system for music .
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Eh, no worries.

Recommended set up is 6 to 8 feet apart, 3 feet from any side wall, 5 to 6 inches off the back wall, no toe in. Sweet spot should be the same distance as they are apart.

Using speakers as stands isn't the best idea as they tend to resonate, which will color the sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• @F1nut , I really appreciate the input . I'm headed over soon to listen to the SDA2 A's and the SDA SRS 2's just had one last question for those of you who know or have a pair of SDA SRS 2's , what size room is the best size for these beasts ? Can you let me know the minimum amount of room required and the maximum . I Imagine a room too big , the SDA SRS 2' could even possibly get lost . Thanks again to everyone for your help on this pressing matter !

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited March 2019
    Go check em out. You may like em. You may want a amplifier though..... CRS's with a nice preamp & amplifier OR Monitor 10's with Marantz ROCK ON for that size room
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited March 2019
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    @F1nut , I really appreciate the input . I'm headed over soon to listen to the SDA2 A's and the SDA SRS 2's just had one last question for those of you who know or have a pair of SDA SRS 2's , what size room is the best size for these beasts ? Can you let me know the minimum amount of room required and the maximum . I Imagine a room too big , the SDA SRS 2' could even possibly get lost . Thanks again to everyone for your help on this pressing matter !

To give you some idea, the wall any SDA's are on should be at least 15 feet, but more is better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    What size room are the SRS2's in now? Do you know?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • @boston1450 , Thank you so much for the Polk Manual for the speakers that is very helpful and now , well, all my hopes and dreams for the SDA SRS 2's seem to pretty much be shattered after coming back from the man's house and having listened to both the SDA 2a's and the SDA SRS 2's in a demo room and a listening room .
    Keep in mind I have a 10 by 13 foot room with only a 10 foot available wall due to the fact that the long 13 foot wall is broken up by a large closet . closet In his demo room that was hard to actually put a solid answer as far as how large the room was because the room was also connected to a smaller dining room and and entrance way as well as a hall way close to the entrance way. It was a very large house with vaulted ceilings !
    The actual space was very open because of the way the room was designed . It did have two walls on opposite sides and the smaller space within the open space was about 15 to 20 feet or so not including the connected entrance way as well as the connected dining room . @Tony M , The SDA SRS 2's on the other hand were in a massive living room ( his actual listening room ) and the wall that they were on was probably 25 to 35 feet . The sofa where we listened to them was about 7 to 10 feet away from the speakers facing the speakers .
    The speakers seemed to be properly placed against the back wall . Ok , as for the sound imaging and stage I would say that the SDA SRS 2's were had a very huge low end bass sound from those massive tower enclosures and probably as well as the drivers and huge fifteen foot passive radiator in the front . Everything combined just really filled the room pleasantly and the bass was loose in a good way but not what I am used to hearing with the speakers I have now that are the SDA CRS's. The tweeters combined with the 4 bass drivers in the SDA SRS 2's seem to me to have a sort of chorus type of sound that was reminiscent of being in a church or cathedral. The man had them hooked up to a ADCOM preamp and a ADCOM GFA 555 power amp .
    Ok now on to the SDA 2a's .When I listened to the SDA 2a's they had a very pleasant tight bass from the passive 12 radiator and 2 six inch drivers and a much more mid and high focus coming from the drivers and tweeter . Everything seemed to be much more in your face . He had that hooked up to a Marantz ( i forget the model but it put out about 40 watts per channel but it was used for a preamp and then it was hooked up to a Parasound power amp ( i forget the model but it put out around 200-300 wpc if I remember right ) .
    Please excuse my adjectives in trying to describe the sound I heard from the speakers . I am guitar player so I am used to describing tone from guitar amplifiers and 4 x12 speaker cabinets such as Marshall amps and cabinets. It is much more difficult to describe the sound I heard from the two different sets of Polks . @boston1450 , I am considering buying an amp and using the amp with My Marantz 2325 , although not all that necessary or buying an amp to use with the SDA 2A's , also not all that necessary but both sets of speakers will be very happy with the extra power .
    Which preamp or receiver and power amp did you have hooked up to your CRS's , do you remember? So now my head is spinning as to decide where to go rom here ??? Do I buy the Polk SDA 2a's and call it a day or do I buy the SDA 2A's and a Carver TFM 45 power amp to use with my Marantz as a preamp ??? Or Lastly , do I buy a Carver TFM 45 to use with my Marantz as a preamp along with my POLK SDA CRS 's that I already own??? It seems pretty safe to say at this point my room is just way too small to use with the SDA SRS 2's . I know that is a hell of a post there but I answered and replied to a couple of you that helped me as well as described the sound best I could of both sets of speakers that I auditioned .
  • @F1nut , I appreciate your thoughts . I definitely don't have a 15 foot continuous wall I can use for the SDA SRS' 2's !
  • Tony M
    edited March 2019
    I understand.

Remember, I hear a set of SRS2's in a bedroom and it was phenomenal! B)

The term "loose bass" is not a trait I'd use towards the 2 pair of SRS2's I've owned!

There might've been some loose screws or a tear in a surround or the worse case scenario, loose end caps on the top or bottom. That's a shame BUT another thing is you're probably used to Pro woofers with stiff accordion surrounds too. I've owned a few sets of CRS's too and still own 2 1/2 sets now thanks to another forum member hooking me up to a hidden local sale! ;)B)

I LOVE the CRS's sound too! My SRS2's sound just like them but with bigger bass output. Not flabby or loose, just more powerful impacts. A lot more! I've owned plenty of stiff accordion woofer speakers and know their bass sound is of a higher range and I love that bass sound too. I had stiff surrounds for Motown and Polks for Classic Rock. But of course, I could play anything on any speaker and be just as happy since I'm not an obsessive critical listener. I HATE distortion with a passion though!

If you're going to stay with the space you're in now, and think the SRS2's are to loose, AND you have a pair of CRSs now, did you hear ENOUGH better bass from the SDA2s to justify buying them.

Pricing and space come to my mind now.

Are the prices a REAL BARGAIN? If so, then get one of those sets. Now, which set?

Do you have the room where you might have to possibly take the top and bottom caps off and re-seal the screw/bolt holes? If not, the loose bass might just be an easy fix by tightening the screws on every speaker, including the tweeters. Most older BIG POLK SDAs and SRSs need this done anyway. I'll bet that's all that was wrong from my experiences with a bunch of older Polk speakers.

My SRS2's have impressively shocked music enthusiasts to immediately go on a search for their own after they left my house. They were on road trips to get their own sets of SRSs the next day or two.

But being a musician as yourself, the accordion style woofer speaker system might excite you more. Klipsch older style speakers comes to mind. The Heresy's or some from the same series and time. The KG4s and bigger ones have that tight bass sound too. I've owned a few Klipschs from that era and liked/loved them all. My hearing is limited to 10khz. or 11khz. so I don't get the ice pick highs some people can hear from them.

Let us know the pricing if you care too, and those prices can also weigh in on should you buy this or that or NEITHER compared to your CRSs at this time. Maybe just the Carver TFM 45 with your Marantz will bring out better sound from your CRSs and make you even more happier than you are now with them.

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    You guys are going to kick me in the teeth for saying this. :)

I think a pair of 10Bs converted to SDAs, using CRS+ parts, might be a good size speaker for a 10x13 room. That gets you a front firing passive for a little more impact and a bigger cabinet volume resulting in a little deeper bass that is still tight. It can be done easily without modifications other than drilling one small hole inside the 10B cabinet to mount the CRS+ crossover. I used a pair of SDA-10Bs in my 14x20 room (11' ceiling) for over a year before finding my 2Bs. I preferred them over my CRS+ although the CRS+ has a slightly wider soundstage.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    TennMan wrote: »

I think a pair of 10Bs converted to SDAs, using CRS+ parts, might be a good size speaker for a 10x13 room. That gets you a front firing passive for a little more impact and a bigger cabinet volume resulting in a little deeper bass that is still tight. It can be done easily without modifications other than drilling one small hole inside the 10B cabinet to mount the CRS+ crossover. I used a pair of SDA-10Bs in my 14x20 room (11' ceiling) for over a year before finding my 2Bs. I preferred them over my CRS+ although the CRS+ has a slightly wider soundstage.

Because the CRS+ MW drivers are further apart...

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    TennMan wrote: »

I can vouch for this.^^^^ SDA-10's bass impact has to be experienced. The 10's inherent combing effect is also a non-issue when converted. And the soundstage....SDA all the way.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • @Tony M , How big was the bedroom you heard the SDA SRS 2's in ? I read the manual @boston1450 was kind enough to give me the link, and It was saying 4 feet space between each corner and 6-8 feet in between each speaker . Withe 4 on each side plus two feet each speaker takes up and 6 to 8 in the middle , that would be a minimum of 18 feet on one side wall as they recommend for optimal sound stage and imaging as they say . I only have about ten feet of unusable wall because of my closet doors being so long . On the other wall I have a entertainment center with a 55 inch tv but that would only allow me 10 feet of unusable space . The other two walls have a bed and a shelf unit so they are completely unusable .
    As far as the loose bass , I might be describing it wrong because I am comparing them to the SDA A's that I alos listened to while I was there . They were in the smaller demo room at his house . They had a tighter punchier bass and a more in your face mids and highs when hearing vocals and mid focused instruments like guitars . The SDA SRS 2's had a warmer bass that didn't seem punchy and tight but I guess i would say the bass was deep and pleasant sounding . I am also used to hearing my CRS 's with the tight punchy bass and my guitar amplifier through a 4x12 cabinet and that produces a very in your face sound with tons of m ids and highs from my Marshall guitar Amplifier . I would say that is probably the sound I am used to hearing the most .
    I really don't think it was because of loose screws or a tear in a surround or the worse case scenario, loose end caps on the top or bottom as you mentioned . The man was a an audiophile man that at one point in his life used to sell stereo receivers and manage stereo store when he was younger . He is a retired audiophile guy who has listened to and bough and sold many bintage speakers and receivers and amps so he seemed very happy with his SDA SRS 2's .
    He didn't do any upgrades to them or the SDA 2A's because he said they sound great stock . I know a lot of you guys on hear mod a lot of Polk speakers and I would definitely be into doing that in the future to get the best possible possible sound out of the Polks but for now I think I may just listen to them stock for awhile whichever set i decide to buy because of the cost and the time it would take to mod them right now .
    Because of the fact that the man is knowledgeable about vintage gear I don't think it had anything to do with this as you mentioned -
    Taking off the top and bottom caps off and re-seal the screw/bolt holes or just tightening the screws on every speaker, including the tweeters.

The price for the SDA SRS 2's are 650 and he just lowered the prices on all his speakers recently . The SDA 2A's are 350 for the pair of speakers in the Walnut Veneer . He had the speakers listed at a higher price for awhile but there were no takers . What are your thoughts on those prices being that they are totally stock ? The SDA 2A's had one small tear on one of the foam surrounds on one outside bass driver but he repaired it and I can't hear anything wrong with it , the speakers sound good .
    As far as the Klipsch speakers , I have heard many people like the Klipsch , I just haven't heard any vintage Klipsch that I can remember .The thought of buying his Carver amplifier is also something I am thinking about as far as waking up my CRS speakers or possibly even buying the SDA 2a's and the Carver amp if he might be willing to make me a deal for the speakers and the amp. These are the Carver amps with the power I am looking for that he is selling . Respectfully , what offer should I make him for the SDA 2A's and a Carver amp if I went that route ? Don't you think that the usable room I have in my room just isn't enough to good a really amazing soynd from the SDA SRS 2's? Plus , If I go that route I would definitely would want to buy an amp along with the speakers and now we are getting into much more money . I do hav ethe money to spend but is it worth it if I don't have the usable space to make them sound amazing?
    Power Amp- - - - - - - -Carver TFM-55 for $650

Power Amp- - - - - - - -Carver TFM-45 for $550

Power Amp- - - - - - - -Carver TFM-42 for $500
    Thanks again for all your input , I really appreciate your help along with everyone else !
  • @TennMan a pair of 10Bs converted to SDAs, using CRS+ parts does sound like a very interesting idea but respectfully, I think I will just stay with a set of stock Polks at this time so if I want to upgrade or downgrade I can just sell them easily as they are stock . I do thank you for the input . That is something I can explore when I get into modding Polks like a lot of you guys on here . It sounds like a lot of fun !
  • Hello @Tony M , @boston1450 , @pitdogg2 @TennMan @xschop I think I may have just scored if I can get these speakers for the right price . I just found a pair of never used NOS speakers in original plastic and boxes . It's a 2 hours drive from me , I'm in San Diego and they are in Los Angeles but they are Polk Audio SDA-1C 's . The manual says 1b's though so I don't know why that is . The person doesn't know much about them ! They also have them for a high price of 750.00 but they are negotiable . These speakers have the 4 drivers and 2 tweeters and the 12 inch radiator , the serial number is R SDA 1 9200 . Is this a find or what guys . Have any of you owned this model ? What should I offer ? Should I jump on them immediately ?
  • boston1450
    edited March 2019
    1c mint in boxes. Bagged. bta1xmn8ddha.jpg
    Id say 500.00-650.00 tops. Great speaker. Picture is ones i had. They were Pin Blade IC cord
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited March 2019
    2nd one down. Boston1450. Pay no attn to the Paradigms. .. https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=yaqin+ms30l+polk+audio+sda+1+c+boston+1450
    Randy/Maine
  • @boston1450 , Nice ! I am glad to see you scored a set too ! You ended up selling them ? Thanks for the advice on price too ! They want 750 or best offer .
  • boston1450
    I got them out of a storage unit in Boothbay Harbor Maine. Cant remember price. Minty in bag in box with IC cord & manual. They were used-i think. Went though divorce & sold off lot of gear. Wish i kept them now along with B&W speakers i had. But 30 pair of speakers & gear galore was just crazy
    Randy/Maine
  • oh , ok . Sounds like you had a lot of fun with all of your speakers . That is a lot of speakers ! Sorry to hear you sold a lot of gear when you went through the divorce . That unfortunately happens to a lot of guys .
  • boston1450
    edited March 2019
    Yes. Im ready to buy more :) Going new HT set up. Havent decided what yet
    Randy/Maine
  • @boston1450 . Sweet , let us all know what you end up buying !
  • Tony M
    I posted the room size quite earlier where I heard those monster SRS2's. It was 12' X 12' I think.

I think the TFM55 is a rare and powerful amp from what I've read. I own a TFM35thx but haven't listened to it since I bought it years ago. :s I've been meaning to hook it up here but had too much stuff in the way.

I've owned the SDA1Cs before. They were MINTY too. I sold them for 400.00 on 8-5-2011

I had the SDA 1Cs hooked up to a receiver and didn't like the sound too much...BUT...stupid me probably had the bass going to some subwoofers that weren't plugged in and I felt the bass was lacking. BUT I hooked up a pair of Polk LS90s some time after that (which I still have right where they were put years ago) and carried on. Well, years later and a long health issue, I got a free powerful Onkyo receiver and swapped out the older one. DAMN, the bass came alive on the LS90s! So all those years, I feel the older Onkyo receiver was bass shy or I had it programed to send bass to the subs. I still have the old Onkyo and I WILL check it's setting some day this summer or even earlier!

Therefore, when I had those Minty SDA 1Cs out there, I shortchanged myself on their full potential I'm pretty sure.

A bunch of people on this forum own them and LOVE them!

There wasn't a mark on my studio black ones either. I think I let them slip through my hands too quickly.

I'd say to you to get one of those Carver amps, like the 45 or 55 per other members recommendations but I feel you'd be paying full price at his wanting prices right now. I paid 200.00 for my TFM35thx years ago.

I know what the manual says and people suggest for space around the SRS2s. But if only everybody here could've heard what I heard that afternoon, people might change their minds and say DAIYUM! like I did. I still remember to this day, that day. :D

It's all up to you good buddy. The prices are high, but location and your wallet play a big part in this too. I wish you well! ;)

Oh, you having the SDA-CRSs right now IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE IN.

Maybe just an amp added to your Marantz will waken those speakers up and blow you away. :p
  • @Tony M thank you so much for weighing in with your own personal experience your Polk SDA 1 c's and the experience you had listening to the SDA SRS 2's on that amazing day ! I really hope I can score those POLKS in NOS mint shape ! That would be like getting them on Christmas day from Santa Claus,lol! I just hope I can get them for a good price !
  • Tony M
    I hope you can too.

Remember, you may be in a situation to want to try new tweeters in them if they have the fish-eyes. That'll be another 200.00. ;)

Although they might have some of the great ones in them. I don't remember what mine had anymore.
  • @Tony M , Thanks . They are actually on ebay ! I am in San Diego , they are in LA ! Well worth the drive if I get them for the right price . It looks like they came from a storage locker that he buys and resales , you know like that show Storage Wars ,lol. I have no idea what he paid for the locker b ut he has the Speakers listed for 750 buy it now or best offer . I offered 500. Says he doesn't know much about them . @boston1450 said to offer 500-650 tops so I started low,lol. Man i hope I get these ! I will be so stoked . They won't be back in town till the 7th so who know if they will even check to see what I offered . I tried to contact them by messaging them and asking to call me but nothing yet for a day or two so far . I will let you know what happens .
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    @TennMan a pair of 10Bs converted to SDAs, using CRS+ parts does sound like a very interesting idea but respectfully, I think I will just stay with a set of stock Polks at this time so if I want to upgrade or downgrade I can just sell them easily as they are stock . I do thank you for the input . That is something I can explore when I get into modding Polks like a lot of you guys on here . It sounds like a lot of fun !
    You're welcome. I was trying to help you get some nice SDA speakers for a 10x13 room without spending a lot of money. I see that was not your goal if you are going to spend $750 on 1Cs. For that money you could have a new amp, new caps and a lot more. Good luck. I hope the 1Cs work well in your room.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • @TennMan , I definitely won't pay 750 for those 1c's ! He got them from a storage locker he bought so I am definitely not spending his top asking price ! You are right , I could get an amp and some caps and some upgrades to my CRS's, but I really want a pair of Polk towers like the SDA 1c's or 2a's that I auditioned at the man's house for 350 bucks , they sounded great !.
    The man is very honest and told me that I really wouldn't need an amp if I bought his SDA 2a's that my Marantz 2325 at 125 watts per channel would have plenty of power to run them and that he said I would not need an amp to make my CRS's that I currently own sound way better , that It wouldn't be worth the money compared to how much better they would sound ! He is so cool and honest and I auditioned his speakers for about 2 or 3 hours ! Very cool guy !
    He could just tell me I need an amp with anything I buy from him to make everything sound so much better but he said only if I bought the SDA SRS 2's would I really want to consider an amp with my Marantz but I could still technically run them with the Marantz. Cool when you meet people like that on craigslist that are audiophiles and not just pushy salespeople that want you to just buy something and get out of there house ,lol !
  • @boston1450 , I did watch your video on the SDA 1c's you have on Youtube , very cool , but aren't those actually SDA SRS 2's ? they look exactly like the pair I auditioned at the dudes house ! The are massive speakers he had that weigh 175 each ! That is heavier picking up a normal sized woman ,lol.