Marantz with Polk SDA SRS 2's How will they pair?

Options

Comments

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Those are 1Cs. SRS 2s have the tweeters between the mid-woofers and are wider.

b9hoy7lodext.png
    mvjugvfddokt.png

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • brentkendall
    Options
    @TennMan ,oh , ok gotcha . Are they in the same really heavy massive enclosure ? Do they also have 15 in PR ? If so I guess I am in the same position as I was in considering the SDA SRS 2's . I just don;t have the proper size room .
  • TennMan
    Options
    Both are big. In my opinion too big for your room but don't just take my word for it. I've never owned speakers that big. The SRS 2 has the same number of drivers but I think it is a bigger speaker.

Here are the specs on both.
    SDA 1C
    SRS 2
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • brentkendall
    Options
    @TennMan , ok , thanks for the specs on these , looks like the 1 C's are really only about 4-5 inches less tall and wide than the SRS's . They are about 75 pounds lighter though . Thanks again .
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The SDA SRS 2 weighs 142lbs.

The SDA 1C and SDA SRS 2 are close in appearance, but the SRS 2 has a 15" PR verses the 12" in the 1C. The SRS 2 also has a slightly bigger cabinet. Both are too big for your room, IMO.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    If they are a minty fresh pair, I would consider getting them anyway, as they are getting harder to find. Are you possibly going to move in the future? If so, you will be able to grow into them and make finding a suitable space for them a part of your checklist.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    What was the nice man using to power his SDA2s if I may ask?

And are they the 3 woofer / 2 tweeter ones or the 2 woofer one tweeter ones?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • brentkendall
    Options
    @F1nut , I agree still too big for my room ! @nooshinjohn , I have thought about buying them to save for when I move ! I will be moving hopefully at the end of the year ! @Tony M , 2 woofer 1 tweeter , and he was using a Carver preamp and Parasound amp .
  • Tony M
    Options
    NICE. B)

Did he have the SRS2s hooked up to that system for their audition?
  • F1nut
    Options
    2 woofer 1 tweeter ,

That's not the SDA SRS 2's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    2 woofer 1 tweeter ,

Are you pointing this response towards me? I sure hope not since I've owned 2 sets of SDA-SRS2's in the past 10 years or more. :D

The OP JUST reviewed both the SDA2's and the SDA-SRS2s on the same day at the same house.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Let's use the full model number here to avoid confusion, SDA 2A or SDA SRS 2.

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I'm in with the crowd saying "Buy them". My 2Bs are too big for my room but they are investments and will follow me until I get the right sided room. Get some room treatments and help tame the room the best you can.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Let's use the full model number here to avoid confusion, SDA 2A or SDA SRS 2.

So what are you trying to say in your clarification post "two woofers one tweeter".

I asked about SRS2's...Is there something wrong with that question I asked him?

There's ONLY ONE SRS2 in the Polk lineup except 4ohm and 8 ohm. ONE. The only confusion is maybe you not reading all the posts above your un-needed clarification post that I think was directed at me. LOL.

I am still wondering what that statement meant in that post Two woofers , one tweeter and who it was directed too.

The new guy knows the difference, I know the difference...so ... :#

OOOHHH I just figured it out !!

You missed his post that he listened to 2 sets of speakers but only told me about the system hooked up to the SDA2As. I then asked him if the SDA-SRS2s were hooked up to, leaving out the un-needed SDA prefix.

2 sets of speakers are being discussed here. Get it now?

He only mentioned one power system.

I wanted to know if the same Parassound system powered the sda-SRS2's while he was there. I doubt it since they were in 2 different rooms...so what powered the sda-SRS2's that produced the SOFT bass he heard? get it now?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    What was the nice man using to power his SDA2s if I may ask?

And are they the 3 woofer / 2 tweeter ones or the 2 woofer one tweeter ones?

Looks like you asked him about SDA2s. Do you get it now!?!

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    That was the previous post ! He answered that one for me.

Get some more powerful glasses.!!! Read BELOW that one! I explained everything to you a few posts ago.

I feel like I'm talking to Adam Schiff. :s
  • Tony M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    NICE. B)

Did he have the SRS2s hooked up to that system for their audition?

Here it is again, ^^^^^^^^^^ My question to him after he answered about the SDA 2A audition.

……………………………….SRS2s...……………………….GET IT NOW? >:)
  • F1nut
    Options
    I wasn't talking to you to begin with.

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :s
    Why didn't you clarify that when I asked you with my first post under your comment when you chimed in?

» show previous quotes

Me;
    Are you pointing this response towards me? I sure hope not since I've owned 2 sets of SDA-SRS2's in the past 10 years or more.

The OP JUST reviewed both the SDA2's and the SDA-SRS2s on the same day at the same house.

I would've waited for that OP to respond to my question I asked him. SIMPLE

I wonder if he will ever come back to answer my last question to him?

I put SDAs in one group if they are not followed by the SRS signature label.

I put SRSs in another. All SRSs are SDAs and therefore no need to type SDA or sda.

I also put the SDA-CRSs in their group. Same here, all CRSs are sda's too. Therefore no need for me to type SDA or sda for them either.

If clarification is needed, I'll clarify. :)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Too much moonshine tonight?

President of Club Polk

• brentkendall
    Options
    @Tony M , I'm back , really sorry to leave you hangin' Tony , I had a long busy day at work , was slammed and then had another meeting right after with a friend . We are starting a podcast , then had to meet a friend for dinner and a movie . To answer you @Tony M , The SRS 2's were not hooked up to the same system as the SDA 2a's , they were hooked up to an Adcom GTP-500 - $200 preamp/tuner and an Adcom GFA-555 - $450 Power amp . He is selling everything I have mentioned in all of my posts . @codycatalist , I am tempted to buy the big daddy SRS 2's even to put in my small room and have them follow me to a large room when i move because I still have my CRS's to listen to meanwhile that I am not selling .

They have really nice oak and are in near mint condition and sound amazing ! I did also put An Ebay bid in to a guy selling mint in box NOS pair of SDA 1 C's . He doesn't get back in town till thursday so I will find out if he accepted my offer of 500 bucks,lol. Probably not because he listed them as a 750.00 BIN but he did get them out of a storage locker that he bought and he doesn't know much about the speakers . I looked at his Ebay store and it is clear the guy buys and sells storage lockers.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Too much moonshine tonight?

I don't drink so I was very logical and asked straight up, are you asking me? AND YOU COULDN'T ANSWER A SIMPLE FRIKN QUESTION, COULD YOU? I'm going to flag your last post and maybe the hole is the place for you to go back too.

But you sure have a problem admitting your wrong though! I've seen it over the years too but I thought I'd try and figure out what you meant by one of your short and vague posts like you're so known for.

What did I get? A pile of NONSENCE.

• F1nut
    Options
    You've lost your mind, seek professional help.

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    Options
    I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular... Most other forums I'm on have a moderator that would delete out all the bickering that has ruined this otherwise interesting thread so it could be continued. Does this forum not have any moderators?
  • F1nut
    Options
    It can continue, nothing stopping it.

President of Club Polk

• brentkendall
    Options
    Just an update here . My Marantz 2325 is currently in the shop. So far some caps on the relay board have been replaced but no change . The symptoms are , everything lights up meters work , but no sound . When it first started having problems, i would push power button and lights would come on then a click then the sound . Then the click before the sound started taking longer and longer until no click and then no sound ! So we shall see after I here more from the repair dude !
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Sounds like one of the relays
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I am totally exhausted after reading this thread.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • brentkendall
    Options
    @pitdogg2 , yeah , that is what I researched but he did change a few caps that needed changing on the relay circuit board and still didn't work . He said the relay can usually last a long time and usually it has to do with something else and not the actual relay . Let you know when it is done .
  • TennMan
    Options
    ... When it first started having problems, i would push power button and lights would come on then a click then the sound . Then the click before the sound started taking longer and longer until no click and then no sound !...

Sounds like the "power on" delay circuit has stopped working. Normally when you turn on the power switch there is a delay before a relay is picked up to supply current to the speaker outputs. That delay circuit eliminates the loud pop you sometimes would hear through the speakers in older models that didn't have a delay circuit. I'd check the relay first to see if it has gone bad since it is probably the only moving part of the circuit. If the circuit uses a 555 timer chip, I would look at it next. It could have got zapped by a voltage spike.