GA meetup

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Still on bro! I’ll see if I can add you to the group PM
  • joecoulson
    so we have 8 currently and should be a good day planned. Some are bringing gear to demo and audition. I will be able to hear a class D in my setup without the hassle of a purchase/return. phono pre swaps (I have a decent cart now so that helps)
    And of course some bangin' smoked pulled pork to graze on all day!
    looking forward to it!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    So how's it going?? Pics!
  • joecoulson
    Omg. I didn’t take one pic!!! I’m terrible.
    It was a great time although only two very dedicated audiophiles made it. The others are truly slackers.
    Got to hear the S300 and am pretty convinced now that I need the mono’s
    Also, Tom found the inherent flaw in my system, the bi amping we’re creating different output levels between the lows and the highs. Even with the same amps, the lower section must be not dropping as low in resistance as the uppers. The cohesiveness was not as good in the bass until we swapped the S300 out. Then we tried the Linns as just standard mono’s (one for each tower) and the difference between them was a little harder to tell. The imaging on the low end came right back into the picture.
    When I had these on the LSIM’s, the out put was the same between upper and lower. Not the case with the Adante’s
    Thank You to Tom and Jody for a great day and great music. Really enjoyed it. Got to eat some good food too!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Yeah, we should've had my wife take at least one pic of us together. Requirements for participants: very little hair on head, substantial facial hair. Of course we did have three very cute participants that we fully-covered in hair :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    That was a failure on my part. Testament to us having a good time though.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I'm rather happy we didn't get any photos. Wouldn't want my wife seeing any of the many nekkid women walking around the house offering the adult drinks and party favors...

Jody, Joe...I raise my glass to you both tonight. Had a great time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I'm rather happy we didn't get any photos. Wouldn't want my wife seeing any of the many nekkid women walking around the house offering the adult drinks and party favors...

Tom
    Especially the hairy ones
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    So true thoughts on the Elac’s as a $5k speaker? (With the assumption the issues previously discussed in my other thread-DIY- would be a non issue with new models) @treitz3 @jdjohn

Your not going to hurt my feelings either way.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Joe, I thought they sounded fantastic, especially after 'simplifying' the amp(s) situation. As I mentioned on Saturday, I think having four separate amps allows too much opportunity to have frequency imbalance and bleed-over. I'm sure having some type of active crossover in place could remedy that, but that's a different path altogether.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of comparative experience to draw from (except my own setup), so listening to yours gave me a good reference point. I know my own listening space has limitations, but now I have a better sense of those limitations...and sadly I don't know how much can be done about it :(

Tom has much more experience than me. At one point I thought he didn't like your decorating style or placement of accent pillows when he moved one off the couch and onto the coffee table, but then he mentioned he was actually trying to deaden a reflection point :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    HAHA! thats funny
    yes he wanted to stop that reflection off the coffee table

I will be posting some other thoughts on some of the aha moments in their respective threads

Thanks for your honest opinion
  • treitz3
    edited March 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    so we have 8 currently and should be a good day planned.
    Well, that fizzled quickly BUT.....and I did say but....I think was all agree we had a great time. The meal you presented was top notch my man, top notch.

Sorry about the pillow thing. I am a n a l about certain things and I was trying to evaluate what in the heck was going on. Once I realized that it was just a reflection point, I could see past that issue. Not much you can do about that, given that your rig is in the LR for the entire family to enjoy. I just wanted to rule out some things before getting down to the nitty gritty.

With that said....I have been hesitant to post any observations online or even give you honest feedback because I know you had mentioned that if this meet would cost you money, then the other half would not let you hold another GTG. Call me greedy, but I'd like to have another GTG......and you have been relentless in spending money since Jody and I showed up . LOL

Ahem.....we did speak that you did want an honest opinion and when I first entered into this thing called a "forum"? I wanted the same thing. Many were hesitant to offer it, even when they came over to listen to the rig in person. I HATED that! I wanted to hear the Gawds honest truth, so I could get my game on.

Perhaps that is why I trust Jesse, George, Bob, Ray, Gary, Brian and Trey so much along with a handful of select others across the globe. We talk about things and hold NOTHING back. Whether it's their rig or mine? We speak the truth. Whether it freakin' hurts or not. No holds barred.

Typing up the rest of this post after a good, stiff adult drink and a smoke out on the front porch. Perhaps a good wizz off of the roof, since you were so persnickety about folks you invited peeing off the roof...

Tom

Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I hope to heck your left speaker is still in phase now if Tom touched the wiring... Double check that mess

Xoxoxo
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Hehe...just don't have Trey do the schematic!

Tom
  • VR3
    edited March 2019
    Red is positive
    Black is negative

Except on the left channel of your stereo... On tuesday
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Modified versus upgraded big boy?

LOL

Tom
  • VR3
    Yeah yeah, I wrote the schematic but built it differently, but if anything that a testament to the mods.

For 2 weeks you thought you were listeniNG to modified and couldn't hear a difference... Lol. Then you actually plugged up the modified and loved it.

It is funny how you keep hooking up the left channel out of phase lol
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »
    For 2 weeks you thought you were listening to modified and couldn't hear a difference...
    Well now, there was a slight difference. I attributed that to the X-overs being external and isolated. Couldn't figure out why, after so much money they sounded about the same.

Yes, when that issue was resolved.....and I actually heard the upgraded X-over's?.... BINGO!

That was when I hit the jackpot....ya' slacker. Way to draw up the schematics differently from the way you built it there, big boy! LOL

I wish you would have made it down there Trey. Joe smells a little funny but Jody's perfume threw off the scent.

Tom

• treitz3
    edited March 2019
    So, anyway....

After the bi-amping issues were identified and resolved? They were a nice sounding speaker at their given price point. They did not necessarily “need” a sub, as they did well on their own but with most speakers (even full range), a little support with the lower octaves never hurts.

One thing that struck me was that they were responsive to upstream components. Not just a little bit, they were very responsive. This is IMO indicative of a decent speaker. Many do not even qualify for upstream changes and if they did, one would have to strain sometimes to hear them.

One deficiency I observed was that when heavy passages on the upper frequencies hit? It seemed to get a little congested and it was audible. With that said, if you don’t pick up on it? Ignorance is bliss and run with it, seeing as how you prefer the coaxial type tweeter. There is nothing wrong with it but you will never achieve the system sonic signature you heard at the shop down in Hotlanta with the Vandersteen’s with what you have. If you are good with it? Rock on with your bad self and don’t think about it any longer.

It was that system I was talking about, asking if they had another room, FWIW.

While the bass response was impressive, it did seem a little slow with both amps we used. It was good but not tight. This is why I suggested Trey’s X-over upgrades. If the external X-overs (as you had mentioned) are not an issue? Then the world is your oyster for options. It’s not like the bass/midbass was bad, it just seemed a little slow.

Overall, your speakers were very nice for the price point you got them at, even after your mods to get them back to the manufacturer’s spec’s.

Tom
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »
    On tuesday

LOL!!!

Tom

• joecoulson
    I thoroughly enjoyed the meet and I believe ( even with me ordering the mono’s - and she got a new bathroom) we are all set for another assuming it’s still a place all would like to travel to. I could, like you suggested, have an open house for late into the evening, just make clear accommodations are at the local hotel and not a spare couch.

All that bring said, I’m very appreciative of you and Jody’s honest opinions. Even though I ha e been into audio for some time, I do not have the skills or patience to foray that deep into as you guys seem to be. I mean that as a high compliment.

The Elacs are no where near “high end” but I’m very happy with them. The EDM music you guys heard the excel at. I am very aware of the upper congestion ( great description) and am ok with it for now. I have a feeling the M700.’s might soften that. And the bass response has to have something to do with the sealed design and passive radiators being the only exterior bass drivers. They go really low, they just don’t punch. The SVS does though ;)

So glad that you feel (as I do) they are a value. I feel that even at $5k (assuming no QC issues) I would purchase them again.

I look forward to hearing all thoughts for the next event. Maybe one that some of the guys that live just across town from me will attend this go round ?? With the next one, I will setup another room with the rainmakers. Dialed in. I’ll have the left over pair of Linns to drive them.
  • VR3
    2hkchoadb4wg.jpg

Broski, just changing those resistors to just about any other resistor made would yield you an improvement.

I don't see why you would need to go external with the real estate available in those cabinets
  • treitz3
    That brings into mind....weren't we suppossed to give crap to the guys that lived close? Seeing as how you had two people that came from 4 HOURS away from different states?

What in the....?

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Not sure how to even go about that.
  • joecoulson
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That brings into mind....weren't we suppossed to give crap to the guys that lived close? Seeing as how you had two people that came from 4 HOURS away from different states?

What in the....?

Tom

Yep. That’s @CGTIII and @BlueBirdMusic
    Flame away!
  • treitz3
    It's easy. Give them grief!!!

WTH? They are local. I was actually looking forward to meeting them. BBM, I was especially looking forward to the conversations we could have had, as it seems you are in the industry.

Everyone else? Bunch o' slackers.....better be there next time or I will sick TonyB on you!

Seriously.....WTH? You guys are LOCAL!!!

Tom
  • VR3
    Have elac send you a replacement crossover and I'll change the resistors for the cost of the resistors and freight
  • treitz3
    edited March 2019
    Trey, he has Real Estate in that cabinet that would be to die for in some of the speakers we have seen, given that pic. It reminds me of your current speakers...do it all down South and all will be well.

Tom
  • VR3
    Based on the pictures I see online, you have to access it through the bass cabinet, it's remote mounted from the terminal cup. In theory, this would be an easy mod and could be done for not to much money. The inductors are solid, elac dropped some coin in those air core inductors... They could have easily used iron core to save space and cost. The caps are not bad for the price point new either. The resistors are extremely generic though
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Flame received and understood. Change of schedule made an extra chance to see GF. As she's 140 miles from me in Birmingham, AL, I don't want to miss a chance. Were going to new AAF B'ham Iron game but likelyhood of rain changed the plan. More than I, she really wants to attend a game of theirs.

Very much looking forward to the next meet. Hope it's soon. Might even learn something if you guys don't lay it on too thick. Just hope it's not that I am horribly disappointed in my own relatively humble gear. LOL
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.