? about Tv & SmartPhone

Ok. I have a brand new Skyworth 12volt tv/dvd. It has USB port in back. Can i plug my SmartPhone into it & watch Utube & maybe stream some movies online with my cellphone ? It is NOT a smart Tv. Havent tried because i dont want to fry something if its not ment to be.. Tv does have dvd player on side which i use often as i have 2 12v tv's. I have a 55in smart tv in garage storage but with solar panels & space in camp is limited. Any thoughts TIA
Randy/Maine

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    This one, Randy?
    http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-lcd-tv-dvd-widescreen/skyworth-large-12-volt-lcd-tv-dvd-player.htm

Gonna skim the owner's manual real quick.
    It should at the least simply charge your phone. At best, allow you to browse the device for photos and videos, but let's see.
    I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Thats the one. Great tv. No power. No cable. Going crazy looking at smartphone watching Utube. I may get Netflix acct & stream to Smartphone. Then to Tv if i can.
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Wellt, mirroring streaming content from your phone over USB won't work, but I see it's got HDMI, so your best bet here might be a streamer of some sort, Roku, Fire, and their stick variants. With USB, you might be able to browse basic music, photo and video folders on your phone, but not mirroring the content to the screen.

Which device are you using? iPhone or Android? Be good to confirm operability before you go spending. I think either works to control the sticks.

Or, you could get an HDMI adapter for your phone, and plug in directly, maybe?
    I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    i have manual in shed on site. I can look tomorrow. I know nothing about phones & tv stuff like this. Im using 2 cellphones now & going to upgrade phone to 1 with unlimited service so i can do this.... Im staying here till probably Sept at latest. Then heading back to coast. Property is about finished
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    msg wrote: »
    Wellt, mirroring streaming content from your phone over USB won't work, but I see it's got HDMI, so your best bet here might be a streamer of some sort, Roku, Fire, and their stick variants. With USB, you might be able to browse basic music, photo and video folders on your phone, but not mirroring the content to the screen.

Which device are you using? iPhone or Android? Be good to confirm operability before you go spending. I think either works to control the sticks.

Or, you could get an HDMI adapter for your phone, and plug in directly, maybe?

Ok. I just looked. I wasnt sure it even had HDMI. It looks like a HDMI port next to power cord. I have a Ruku unit at coast in garage. Would i hotspot to Roku from cellphone ?
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    I have a LG Android old cheesy phone 2 years old. No service so i buy 30day card service. No sure what it does.... Im ready to upgrade with a unlimited service with a phone i can do Tv streaming if possible
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Yes, I was thinking about the WiFi piece, and yeah, I think you could hotspot your phone to the Roku.

Try it first with your main phone just for a quality test. Unless you're in a super remote location with poor wireless service, you should be able to get enough download bandwidth to use your streamer. If it's a slow connection, the streamer may switch to a lower quality/resolution to get you a smooth video stream if it detects a low data stream, but it should still work pretty well.

Sometimes I like to throw on a set of headphones and stream Netflix on the old Nexus 7 tablet instead of TV :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    Thanks Scott. I have great signal here. No issue there. I went to 2 different places today. Verizon which i have for my business phone & to UScellular to get idea on what cost would be. Will get better phone with unlimited data plan. Will be going to coast n grab the Roku next Friday. Zoey's 1 year birthday party is Sat. Looking forward to that. Thanks again. Will report back once i get it working
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Good deal, Randy.
    I disabled signatures.