LSiM703 vs. KEF LS50

2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2019
    I originally had the LSi15's for about 2yrs, very pleased with them until I heard the KEF Q900 towers. The Q900 came home & the LSi15's were sold. Had them for about 2yrs also & wanted to try a pair of bookies. I went with the KEF Q300's & still have them to this day. Now to be fair I am a true believer in a sub regardless of the speakers. I have twin Velo SPL1200 subs with the DSpeaker Anti-Mode EQ that have been there with all my speakers. Fantastic musical presentation for all genres & also a killer for HT. The DSpeaker Anti-Mode is a must have for any sub. It will elevate your listening experience like you can't imagine. My room is 13x34 & the Q300 along with the twin Velo's fill it like there's no tomorrow. I also listened to the LS50 & they are simply incredible! It's just that I am quite happy where I'm at right now.

Would you please, elaborate on what specifically you liked about the Q900 versus the Lsi15's?

We are always trying different speakers, and might look into those if it sounds interesting.

Just found this....interesting review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-q900-loudspeaker-measurements
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    At least until the 703's go back down to $599. >:)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Just got an email from Slick Deals saying Adorama has them again. Not sure if it is a special link but when I click on it, they show $599 a pair for the 703
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2019
    tlainhart wrote: »
    My takeaway from this conversation is, that while the deals on LSiMs can be really great, I would be better served to invest that time and money into some subs.
    There's someone on AVS forum selling a couple of KEF Kube 12b's on AVSForum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/3052732-fs-kef-kube-12b-x-2-a.html

20733a6c9957d643b2edb99dfa4852c0.jpg

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    erniejade wrote: »
    Just got an email from Slick Deals saying Adorama has them again. Not sure if it is a special link but when I click on it, they show $599 a pair for the 703

https://slickdeals.net/f/12884953-pair-polk-lsi-m703-bookshelf-speakers-599-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    K_M wrote: »
    I originally had the LSi15's for about 2yrs, very pleased with them until I heard the KEF Q900 towers. The Q900 came home & the LSi15's were sold. Had them for about 2yrs also & wanted to try a pair of bookies. I went with the KEF Q300's & still have them to this day. Now to be fair I am a true believer in a sub regardless of the speakers. I have twin Velo SPL1200 subs with the DSpeaker Anti-Mode EQ that have been there with all my speakers. Fantastic musical presentation for all genres & also a killer for HT. The DSpeaker Anti-Mode is a must have for any sub. It will elevate your listening experience like you can't imagine. My room is 13x34 & the Q300 along with the twin Velo's fill it like there's no tomorrow. I also listened to the LS50 & they are simply incredible! It's just that I am quite happy where I'm at right now.

Would you please, elaborate on what specifically you liked about the Q900 versus the Lsi15's?

We are always trying different speakers, and might look into those if it sounds interesting.

Just found this....interesting review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-q900-loudspeaker-measurements

It's been a few years but as best as I can recall it was simply "The Sound". Top to bottom the Q900 nailed it. To my ears it was an easy decision. Now don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed the LSi15's...
    Until I heard the Q900. Give them a listen if you can.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tlainhart wrote: »
    I alternate between my LSi15s and my LS50s. Two Schiit Vidar monoblocks drive the speakers and (as multiple folks have said), the LSi15s really take off with that extra power. The speakers are well-placed in the room, and I've got treatment at the various reflection points.

Of course, both speakers sound different, which is why I'll swap between the two. Both have a lot going for them, in different ways.

Given the recent deals on the 703s, I'm considering getting a pair. As I age and consider down-sizing, I'm thinking more along the lines of 703s, rather than the 705s. I've looked towards the 705s for a while, but I don't think I can take on another set of towers, esp. when the LSi15s seem a difficult sale. Maybe the 703s will get me some of the refinement that the 705s are said to have over the LSi15s.

Has anyone heard the 703s compared to the LS50s? What I'm missing in the LS50s (compared to the LSi15s) is the fullness in the mids. The LS50s may be more accurate, esp. wrt to vocals and placement, but the LSi15s do nice things with those mids and upper-end.

• Probably late to this dance, but I had Kef LS50 and Polk Audio LSIM 703s side by side for comparison, trying to decide which to buy. I was using a very low quality Sony 5.1 receiver , so the comparison must be taken with a grain of salt, but the best way I can describe the difference between the Polks and the Kefs was that the Polks felt as though someone opened a window. I bought the Polks. Since then I've upgraded the amp to an okay Yamaha AS-801 - not quite audiophile quality, but pretty good, and the Polks sound better than ever.

That said, the Kefs were much smaller. They looked a lot better on an actual bookshelf, and I really did appreciate how good they sounded for their size.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2019
    kloop64 wrote: »
    Probably late to this dance, but I had Kef LS50 and Polk Audio LSIM 703s side by side for comparison, trying to decide which to buy. I was using a very low quality Sony 5.1 receiver , so the comparison must be taken with a grain of salt, but the best way I can describe the difference between the Polks and the Kefs was that the Polks felt as though someone opened a window. I bought the Polks. Since then I've upgraded the amp to an okay Yamaha AS-801 - not quite audiophile quality, but pretty good, and the Polks sound better than ever.

That said, the Kefs were much smaller. They looked a lot better on an actual bookshelf, and I really did appreciate how good they sounded for their size.

Great comparson, and interesting.
    No matter what you used, it will still show the "differences" (between two speakers) in tonality and so on.
    We had measured a few cheap AVR's a while back, and flat response was one thing most nailed quite well.