Starting over with Polk RTiA9 Tower Speakers

2»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited February 2019
    The Marantz PM6006 is a decent product, but I don't think it would have enough current/juice/get up and go for those massive RTiA9 towers.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MAPM7005

The 7005 offers higher WPC, as well as a USB input for your Mac. Still not sure it has enough amps for those towers. Edit: It actually looks like it doesn't have any cohones at all. 170w at the outlet? 22lbs? come on.

I'm getting slightly out of my element as I don't have any first hand experience with the RTiA9 speakers. Maybe others can chime in and help.

This would make them sing. Then again it's $3k: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHAHINT6

But $3k gets you 45amps per channel. It's got cohones.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    But I wasn't sure that and cables were all I needed. Are the brands you suggested better in your opinion?

An integrated amplifier, speaker cables, and a USB cable would be what you'd need to get going with music from your Mac. For TV audio, you would need either analog RCA cables or a digital coaxial cable (or optical) cable to run from your HDTV box to the integrated, which are inexpensive for a basic cable.

The fact that you are only interested in stereo listening actually simplifies a lot of variables.

What audio shop did you visit?
  • Clipdat
    On an unrelated note, this thread's title reminds me of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWedy4IaWQ
  • Technically only two things I'd be looking to run through them would be HDTV and a mac (so maybe I don't even need a stereo (sorry if that's a dumb question).

Planet of Sound were the ones who reco'd the Marantz PM6006, but they also knew nothing about Polks which made me nervous.,

And that song was nothing like it's cover image suggested. It's an adrenaline shot hehe
  • DSkip that'd would be amazing! Thanks.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    PS - Welcome. And forget your ex. We're collectively at least 30x smarter, better looking, and funnier than he ever was. *And*... we'll teach you how to setup and work a sub :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    So I started at the bottom wpc Cambridge amps with the $500 SR20. Couldn't do it. Then I tried the CXA80. No go. Now I am on the Azur 851A. The music now has appropriate weight and emotion to it. This is in a 14x18 room with 14' ceilings.

Some qualifiers.
    What distance were you seated from speakers, and what average and peak sound levels were you using to determine they "Couldn't do it"?

We have friends with a slightly larger room for sure, 16'x24" but with 10" ceilings, and running a 20 watt/channel HK vintage receiver, they sounded quite great at moderate to even fairly loud levels.

The bigger 200 watt amp, for sure could play a lot louder, but even with the 20 watter, the sound was quite amazing.

Not saying I would recommend only 20 watts, I agree they benefit with more, but as with everything this is highly subjective, they sounded really great and only at fairly high levels did they feel a bit limited.

EDIT: Not saying your findings are wrong or mine are more right, but just another subjective impression, that shows how many variables enter into a listening experience.
    Post edited by K_M on