• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Carver TFM-45 Silver Seven Transfer functuoned
    Woody material right there. Bucket list one of these days
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Here is a setup we had at Carverfest a few number of years ago. Some of the most rare of Carver gear is seen in this picture. The preamp was one of only one ever made. You see the famed Silver 7's and Silver 9's in this photo and custom speakers built by James Sauter. This system literally shook the ground I was standing on (gravel driveway) 40 feet away from the system.

DSC01953.jpg

Tom
    The Silver Sixes are pictured as well. I lost the EBay bid for those by the princely sum of fifty cents. It was after that Bob said he would help me build the amps I am using now.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Good eye, John. I had forgotten the Sixes were in the bunch that week as well. When the week was over, we were going to take my Tyler's over to this cabin to listen to them on the Silver 7's. This is when they got launched into mid-air when James tripped up on the handicap ramp.

That was a fantastic week up until the point the speaker hit the ground.

The Legacy's in the background didn't sound that bad at all. They were a well rounded, full range speaker and I wish I had heard more of them that week but even though we have all that time, the week goes by quick! About the only thing I remember that I didn't like about the Legacy's was something on the top end I didn't take too kindly too but otherwise, a very nice speaker.

If memory serves, RobertR brought them to the 'fest and DaveS brought them home with him. That seems to happen often at the 'fest with some of the gear that comes.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I took the parasound amp down with 45 min left. Had zero bids. Started the bidding at $700. Maybe ill try over at yhe carver sight to see if anyo e want to trade.

I did get $90 for yhe Paradigm tweeters!
  • CH46E
    Old I know. But a little update. Just sold my Parasound. Been in contact with Greg Garska about a TFM-45 he is refurbing. Looks like that's the route I'm going. Should be good for another 25 years. Next is a new SACD player and stand alone DAC.

Thanks to everyone who gave some input here. Good reading!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Let us know how it sounds when you get it. My refreshed 1.0 sounded very nice. I just couldn't get past the imaging clarity of the B&K mono's.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Let us know how it sounds when you get it. My refreshed 1.0 sounded very nice. I just couldn't get past the imaging clarity of the B&K mono's.

Will do. Who did your refresh?

I got lucky, Greg Garska just happened to have a unit in stock that he is starting on this week. Seen very few TFM45s on the bay as of late.
  • audioluvr
    Rolland at Hi-Tech. Lives about 30 minutes from me. I don't know Greg. You could contact Rolland also and see what he has other than a giant stack of components awaiting refreshing for customers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Rolland at Hi-Tech. Lives about 30 minutes from me. I don't know Greg. You could contact Rolland also and see what he has other than a giant stack of components awaiting refreshing for customers.

Roland is the shiznet. I will be sending my C16 Preamp to him soon.
  • CH46E
    fastz28 wrote: »
    ss state carver m1.0t mk2 or the m500t mk2
    or rebuilt m1.5t or m4.0t

I'm sorry, but are you asking a question?
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Roland is the shiznet. I will be sending my C16 Preamp to him soon.

I saw Carvers, B&K's, Parasounds, H/K's, Adcoms, McIntosh, mixing boards, tube stuff and others in his floor to ceiling "To Do" pile.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    ss state carver m1.0t mk2 or the m500t mk2
    or rebuilt m1.5t or m4.0t

Be careful with the 500t if you run SDA speakers, the outputs are inverting making them non-common ground so you would need a dreadnought or similar isolation transformer on the IC. The 1.0t comes as an inverting optioned model as well so check what you need. Not a fan of the mk2 modifications although many seem to love the extra power but I don't think the mods change the output grounding.

If you need power, move on up the model chain. I have 2 TFM-55's, 2 M4.0t's, 2 M1.5t's and a single non-inverting M1.0t. I tend to like the 4.0's the best, maybe a bit warmer than the TFM's but have not done A-B switching in and out to determine if it's speakers, room or cabling that's making the difference.

Published ratings (depending on where you look) but take all with a grain of salt.

M1.0t mk2 8/4 ohm load->410/450watt
    M500t mk2 395/420 watts
    M1.0t stock 200/500
    M1.5t 350/550
    M4.0t 375/500
    TFM-45 375/500
    TFM-55 380/600

I can listen to the 4.0's driving my SDA 1.2's without ever lighting up any but the bottom output LED's and run the family into hiding.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• CH46E
    Oh I see he was asking for advice on his listed models.

All I can say is I grew up with a TFM 25 in my father's system. Good amp. I owned for a short bit a TFM35. Also good. But with all the reading and reviews and professional opinions, the TFM-45 and the M4.0t are regarded as the warmest smoothest and just all around better sounding amp from the TFM and M amps.

A M4.0t just hit Ebay. Does not appear to be serviced and the price seems a little on the higher end for a unrefurbished unit. That's just my opinion though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173810941844
  • CH46E
    My Carver is done. Just a little burn in going on and I should have it soon.

I like the new led white bulbs.

0n57kivrlj92.jpg
  • audioluvr
    Nice! What upgrades did you have done?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC