A record clamp

So I picked up the cheap ($30 or so) Record Doctor clamp from Audio Advisor. I fail to understand how the clamps that cost many times more are worth the extra $$. I get it that other gear may warrant extra $$(amps, speakers, etc) but a clamp that seems to fill the intended purpose isn't really all that complex, is it?

In any case, for $30 this thing seems to be fairly well built and does the job for me.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    I bought a clever clamp a few years ago and it does the job for me.
    It is only used for LPs the need help however.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I've got into the habit of using the clamp all the time. But it still escapes me what the much more expensive ones have to offer that this fairly cheap one does not.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Does it lift the center of the LP up, while pushing down on the LP while at the same time, grasps the spindle, lifting it up to completely couple the LP to the platter?

If so, I would imagine just a difference in tone and lower register playback differences.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    I guess this is where the difference is. Doesn't lift up or push down. Simply clamps to the spindle. I apply a bit of downward pressure before turning the knob to grasp the spindle. Maybe one day I'll spring for a higher end one and listen for any difference.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Do clamps really matter?

I feel you I have no clue
  • I for one, don’t have a clue. Could someone clearly explain? I thought the definition of couple was to join or link two things together. If you lift the center of an LP up, how is it linked or joined to the platter? How do you lift something up while pushing down? If the clamp is lifting the center, I envision the LP with a shape similar to a contact lens. I can picture the outer portion coupled to the platter but not the inner portion. Wouldn’t such a scenario create tonal difference between the beginning of playback and the end of playback?
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The one I have (VDG), which mimics The Clamp, uses a spacer (appropriately sized to compensate for any platter pad thickness plus a little more) to slightly lift the center of the LP before the clamp is applied. When the clamp is tightened, the collet "pulls" on the spindle, this applying downward pressure to the outside edge of the clamp and forcing the LP to lay flat on the platter.

So a contact lens is a good, if not exaggerated comparison. A clamp is most useful for warped vinyl.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I use a clamp every time I play a record.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    edited February 2019
    I use the Record Doctor clamp. To lift the center of the record while using a little downward force while clamping, I bought a few difference thickness neoprene fender washers (about 2.5-3.0" diameter with .25" center hole) at the hardware store. Put one under the record label before clamping (the more the record is warped, the thicker the disc) and the record is secure to the platter and level.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I could eat on my plates from college, or my mother's fine china. Both serve food equally well. One is just considered to be nicer. Has a nicer weight, nicer details, nicer feel. All that jazz. That's the main difference I'd expect with various record weights. Just different materials and designs, but functionally the same.

On the extreme technical end it could be argued that using more exotic material with extremely tight manufacturing tolerances could also help with absorbing, isolation, yadda yadda. But I would shocked if 1/1000 people could tell the difference in any system.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • treitz3
    I don't even have the TT setup some on this board have and I can tell a difference between all 3 record clamps I have. That is very discernible. I would only imagine it would grow exponentially more discernible with a top end TT setup.

This goes for not only regular LP's but 180/200g as well. YMMV, FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    I was wondering if clamps mar the spindle in any way?

I would think something that "clamps" around the spindle would have a pretty good chance of leaving a mark.
  • Tony M
    I haven't noticed anything.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Me either. I just used a magnet to confirm on a few of my spindles, and they are steel. The clamps I have are aluminum.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The original The Clamp and the copy Larry made use a brass collet, so being softer than a spindle definitely are not going to leave a mark.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reverb
    Thanks for all the responses. I would like to try a clamp (why not, right?) but I would like to ease my toe into the water.

Anyone recommend a low price model - but one that still can offer the benefits that a clamp can offer? i.e. I don't need one plated in 24k gold, but do want one that does the job.

Thanks again.
  • treitz3
    Budget?

Tom
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Clearaudio clever clamp is about the cheapest one that works that I've seen.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I use a weight on mine.

http://www.tangospinner.com/products-detail.php?id_pro=10&producto=WEIGHT VERSION CENTERER RECORD CLAMP

Works good for me. Only 180g badly warped records don’t lay all the way flat with it. Ad I only have 1 or two of those.
  • muncybob
    The one I have is about the cheapest to the best of my knowledge. Collet is brass, does not weigh much(important to me). So far, none of the records I have are warped much so can't speak to that, but is does couple the record to the mat. Have not noticed any sound difference with or w/o the clamp.
  • Tony M
  • reverb
    Oh, OK. Not too spendy at all. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the inputs!