Where the LSI7’s wandered off to.

Options
The Blumensteins are closer to shipping but these’ll do for now.

Room bridge via thin client PC to Schiit Bifrost. Then to Bottlehead Stereomore modded for 45 tubes instead of 2A3’s. Max output 1.8 watts. Plenty loud from 8 feet away.

4v57php0ewkt.jpeg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    How many setups you got bro...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Well... if you look close there are 3 not counting the Schiit Saga that needs a power amp or the headphone amp just in that rig.

Probably too many... can you have too many?

In my defense I do have some stuff for sale.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Don’t worry... just my jealousy showing :smile:

Carry on
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Aaron has a nice giddyup Joint .. ;););)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Kewl!

Hey, I had a rack just like that.

I dig the 'Ahoy, Mate' speaker stands.

I like your do it pic. Who made that?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I thought the LSi's were really power hungry and inefficient?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ALL212
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Bitmoji did the pic. Some wise man told me I needed that rack! ;)

I think there is much misconception on what wattage you need to enjoy a speaker as long as you don’t need rock concert levels. I ran Carver Silver Amazings with this amp also.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I thought the LSi's were really power hungry and inefficient?

The LSi-7’s are not power hungry. I seem to recall they are considered 6 ohm, and are wonderful bookies at a steal used. The 9’s are 4 ohm which are not power hungry in my mind and as mentioned there is a misconception on what wattage you need to enjoy a speaker as long as you don’t go nuts. People seem to have forgotten the LSi’s were Polk’s top of the line not that long ago, and now they can be had for what some pay for a month’s cable bill. My GF used my LSi-9’s with a Pioneer Elite receiver and no issues whatsoever she loved them. More power of course and they light up. The 7’s with a sub blew away most all the bookies that came through my place. I didn’t feel the 9’s required a sub and felt the overall sound was pretty much unmatched for the three bills you can acquire them for on the used market now. For six bills you can step up to brand new LSiM 703’s. Polks are best bang for buck out there right now IMHO.
  • ALL212
    Options
    Specs are:
    88db
    53Hz - 26kHz +/- 3db
    compatible with 4 ohm outputs. (only dips that low around 200hz).
    recommended power 20w to 150w

I think the freq response listed is very generous, I'm not hearing the bottom listed nor the top. It's not unpleasant but some research...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-audio-lsi7-loudspeaker-measurements

Black traces are the tweeter/woofer in farfield.
    Red is front port, blue is rear port in near field.
    x2i4g88p5jsr.jpg

anechoic chamber
    mzpqr293o8m1.jpg

Bottom end is a bit humpy and does fall off quickly about 100 hz. In that graph you're down close to 15db at 50hz. And above 10k hz it's a nose dive. Based on that I'd go 100 to 10k +2 -5 db.

It's a good listen. Soundstage is very good. But the specs are very generous. I do understand the room and components make a difference as well.

Crossover upgrade is in the works but might be a bit.
    Sonic caps
    Goertz copper foil inductor for tweeter
    Perfect lay wire inductor for woofer
    non-inductive resistors
    New internal wire.

No complaints at all!!

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I recall people on the forum complaining that the LSi's were setup at Fry's Electronics with an AVR driving them. The consensus was an AVR did not have enough power to properly demonstrate what the LSi line is/was capable of reproducing.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    IIRC, Mantis just wrote on that recently saying he has never had any trouble at all running LSi’s with Pioneer Elite AVR’s. I never did either, the 7’s sounded real fine with just a SC-05. More power will make them sound even better, and will certainly show their top potential, but that doesn’t mean they’re hard to drive or don’t sound real sound real good even with a decent AVR. They are probably the best bookie I can think of for 200 bucks currently.
    Like I said they beat all kinds of bookies that came through my place and many had very high reputations. That’s my experience.