Windows network guys, hep!

I have 3 or 4 PC's on my network and one by one my servers hsve disappeared. They all see my NAS, but they (cept for one) dont see anything else, therefore I can't Cut n paste music filrs. It all good until the last one quits and I cant xfer stuff to my Aries mini HD. Thanks in retreat.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Lol, retreat
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Any guesses as to why my Auralic was showing as a computer and thus I was able to copy files to it and now it just shows as a media device?
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    You've got a service running on it that has ID'd it as a media device. you've got something **** going on!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • afterburnt
    @ALL212 I didn't make any changes. Any idea where I should be looking?
  • msg
    Even if it shows as a media device, what happens if you double-click on it? Are you able to browse it?

My guess is that it may be showing as a media device as in, something to connect to from within a program to stream to/from, but not sure. I've not really used any devices like this before in Windows, but I see devices advertising themselves as a streaming destination for stuff like when using a Spotify app, or watching a YouTube video on a smartphone.

Is there a setting in the Mini that turns on/off the file server/sharing?
    Have you been poking around anywhere?
    Are all your computers on the same Workgroup?
    Have you recently installed any new security software?

Lots more questions to make this extra complicated if these aren't enough.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    I'm not familiar with the Auralic. I'm guessing at one time your PC's recognized it as a brethren PC but they now only see it as a media device.

Since I don't know your "stuff" it's really hard to know where to go from there. How many PC's? What OS's? ... can be a lot to go through.

Windows updates have been know to wreak havoc on setups. But that's a SWAG.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • afterburnt
    @msg Scott, none of the above. It opens Widows Media player when you click on it.
  • ALL212
    @msg thinks he's a IT guy....LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! ;)

:*:*:*:*

o:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • afterburnt
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the Auralic. I'm guessing at one time your PC's recognized it as a brethren PC but they now only see it as a media device.

Since I don't know your "stuff" it's really hard to know where to go from there. How many PC's? What OS's? ... can be a lot to go through.

Windows updates have been know to wreak havoc on setups. But that's a SWAG.

All are windows 10 and I wouldn't be surprised if it were an update. It would't be the first update that fooed things up.
  • ALL212
    Have you tried Auralic support or forums? I've not seen this personally but I have friends that have had issues with network shares and connections disappearing over the last month. None of them are audio related.

And my hassling @msg should generate a laugh from him instead of tears. But he is a baby so who knows... :o
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    just for giggles Bruce but are all your windows devices updated? I have flaky things happen when win updates get stuck
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    Ohhh, hassling. Yeah, hassling is just fine. It's haranguing I prefer, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Bruce, if you want to for now, we might be able to at least get you access to it by IP if we can't figure out the root cause. I helped Aaron out with this at his work just earlier this week.

I was looking for a manual earlier for the Mini, but couldn't find one easily.

Download this and run it. I'll also show you how many people you have stealing your wifi - https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

You can also use the FING app on your smartphone to scan your network for all connected devices. We're looking for the Mini's IP address, then we can map a drive to it. I like to use Z: for everything.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    I will check it out. BTW if anyone is stealing my wifi it would have to be the coyotes. I am not allowed to live near people.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I will check it out. BTW if anyone is stealing my wifi it would have to be the coyotes. I am not allowed to live near people.

Well Wile E. Appreciates the ability to order from Acme....
  • msg
    Uses his ACME Alexa™ to order.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Ha the last PC carped out too!
  • afterburnt
    Could it be the router?
  • msg
    I think if the Auralic Mini "control" works on the Private/LAN side, then it's all internal, then probably not likely that it's router related.

It is possible though. Depending on how your network is set up, it's possible to isolate the computers from each other, but that's typically only for Guest networks in home routers.

BUT, you may be on to something with the router thought. It could be "firewall" related, and there's a firewall component in many internet security software suites, as noted above. I've seen basic connectivity fail simply because File & Printer sharing is not enabled, and this can happen by any number of ways.

PM'd you to discuss.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Scott, real quick here. The other PC's dropped off the "computers" list also. I'll get back to you after work.

Thanks
  • afterburnt
    Scott msg helped me to figure out what is wrong. They wrecked Winblows with their update 1803 that eliminated "homegroup".
  • msg
    edited February 2019
    Well, it could be that. That update came out last summer, I think, but Windows Update for 10 seemed screwy and didn't seem to work on demand like WU in previous versions, and if your connection is slow could have been very slow to roll out to you.

But yes, I did read that they did away with HomeGroup in 1803, but we can figure out a way to get you sorted with the regular peer to peer networking. I haven't done any of that in 10, so I'm not quite sure how it works or where they've hidden everything in trying to automate and make things more intuitive by making things less intuitive. Take some fiddlin'. Maybe some Cello-n' too.

Anyone else, obviously feel free to jump in with ideas.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    Never did have a love for homegroup...

What's the end result supposed to be? On my home stuff they're all in the same workgroup and you can "cheat" the share permissions by creating the same user/password on each machine and use that account to map drives with.

Or was that Windows 3.11...?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • afterburnt
    Now things are back to normal on my 3rd PC. I messed with the network stuff yesterday but I don't remember what I did. It has the 1803 update too.
  • msg
    You're about 93% IT Guru level with that sort of tech talk. Over my head.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    End result is for Bruce to be able to browse the network and see the Mini as a machine/device to browse and copy files to for myoozak screaming.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    3rd PC is good for the moment but I would like to get it right on the 2nd PC that has the drive where I rip my CD's. The way it is, I send the rips to the NAS and then got to the 3rd PC's to copy them to the Mini.
  • afterburnt
    jzk55rlb72un.jpg I am gonna start dragging this around the house with me