Cable test - thoughts?

I'm pretty sure this has been done before but I'm looking to see if there is interest in putting a bunch of interconnects in a box and shipping them around to evaluate.

I just found another couple that I won't use - I probably have 1/2 dozen or so that I'd be willing to send out. Some home made, some not. Maybe as a baseline I'll find those nasty "came with it" rca's.

As part of this I'm dreaming up (with some help from Sir Scott) an evaluation sheet so that as these go folks can voice opinions on what they thought about each one.

One of the limiting factors would be length - I'm thinking around 3 feet or longer? Anyone have RCA's laying around that they'd be willing to include?

I've got...
"came with it" RCA's
Monster RCA's
Mogami + two flavors of Cardas ends
Groneberg (maybe two flavors)
Wireworld
mismatched but same short length of Signal Cable

Evaluation would be done on-line (I hope).

Length of time needed would be somewhat based on the number of cables included. Listing your evaluation system should be done - ya, know - the "chain".

If you've participated before - how did it go? Was it worth it?
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    edited January 2019
    if you can get them here today, I'm off work >:)
    I find doing a true eval on just a couple of different cables
    a lot of work. Maybe select one or two:
    cheap
    good
    better
    best?
    Just a thought.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I'd be interested and amenable but my system might not be resolving enough.
    Also, I have this terrible habit of lagging when it's my turn.
    I did manage to evaluate a pair of speaker cables a while back, on another forum. :p
    Of course, I think the next person I shipped 'em to ended up being swallowed by a burgeoning black hole or something. :(

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/unity-audio-cancer-fighter-speaker-cable-reviews.3476/page-4#post-75264

spquj7znsqcr.png

Note the completely un-ironic choice of amplifiers in the photo above vis-a-vis the present thread. B)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    MY BABY!!! B)

The thought of limiting this is good as I've got a good 1/2 dozen that could go. should you spend enough time to really evaluate it could take weeks to move through a pile of these. 4 sets and done? We can list those that we can spare and the group interested could pick from the list. Once picked the list is considered dead until the selected cables return home?

Wonder (or Scott wondered) if we can get some of our favorite vendor types to go in on this?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    That would be nice.

Speaking ONLY for myself - I'd love to have an opportunity to sample some generally regarded as good wires cables interconnects. The cost of entry is a disincentive to me (i.e., expense, weighted by risk), cheap rascal that I am.

Yes, I realize full well that great savings are possible by buying used (which strikes me as a significant quantum of information in and of itself!) -- but I am also one of those interactionally-challenged folks who really doesn't like selling things (even though I am more than happy to buy, swap, or give away stuff).

I like the idea of a lending library -- but like any form of (lower case "c") communism ;) it only works as well as the least ethical participant :/

Or, in my case, perhaps -- the slowest-responding participant.

:)

So -- a long winded way of saying, "I like the idea!"
    B)

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • ALL212
    Who are our cable "friends"?

Signal cable?
    Douglas?

Anyone else?

I don't mind asking these guys if they'd be willing to donate.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Not much traction here...

I can work with those that have responded here (and via PM's) and if you're interested best get your vote in now.

Otherwise it's a massive group of 4.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    :(

Guess everyone owns nice wires except me.

az0sdhwbgtbe.png

(and a few other folks)
  • ALL212
    Jeez...

now we have to start a Go-Fund-Me for Mr. H so the poor guy can get some decent cables.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    No, it's OK.... really.
    sigh.

I'll survive...

;)
  • ALL212
    edited February 2019
    If we do this:

Flat rate medium box - $14.35. Since these are cables it's not a light box. I'll stick 'em in that wireworld case.

From my own collection in the catagory of "not being used"
    Cardas 1x21 (coax I believe) with Cardas GRCM - 6'
    Cardas 2x21 with Cardas GRCM - 6'
    Mogami 2791 with Cardas GRMO - 6'
    Mogami 2534 with Cardas GRMO (right angle on both ends) - 6'
    Groneberg Series 3 with Cardas SRCA - 3'
    Wireworld Oasis 7 - 3'

Any I shouldn't include?
    Any you'd like to include?

Still need to contact the vendors if there's interest here.

oops - take one of the blue Groneberg cables out and insert a red Mogami - use your imagination...
    qe29ve446o4q.jpg

Post edited by ALL212 on
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Hello Aaron,

Very nice of you to do something like this. May I suggest starting a new thread with a different title such as "Interconnect Demo" or some such. The word test tends to steer people away. Also, consider starting it in a different forum section such as 2 channel.

Hope you have a peachy day.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I want the old f1nut back 😢
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ALL212
    And...all BS aside, glad you're back.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hello Aaron,

Very nice of you to do something like this. May I suggest starting a new thread with a different title such as "Interconnect Demo" or some such. The word test tends to steer people away. Also, consider starting it in a different forum section such as 2 channel.

Hope you have a peachy day.

Was a full frontal lobotomy part of Jesse's "vacation"?
  • ALL212
    those pretty light blue bookends are no longer part of the test. Groneberg's have been traded out.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • PM sent.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • ALL212
    Let's end this thread and move 'er over to the 2 channel. Assuming I remember I'll get that done later today unless one of you beats me. to it.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Let's end this thread and move 'er over to the 2 channel. Assuming I remember I'll get that done later today unless one of you beats me. to it.

do it :)
  • ALL212
    DONE!! B)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2019
    I may be interested in lending my either my 1.5 ft or 6 ft Audio Quest Diamondbacks to the cause. We would eventually get them back right?

I also have a pair of Emotiva RCAs. But they are only 18 inch or so.

I have a 6ft pair of Monster THX rcas also. I think they were a bit of $130 when I got them.

q3hxnou8ha1t.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If I may make a suggestion gents, try and get a mix of say 5 interconnects all with different designs, different copper, etc, and if possible different price brackets. Just my .02, have fun.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I may make a suggestion gents, try and get a mix of say 5 interconnects all with different designs, different copper, etc, and if possible different price brackets. Just my .02, have fun.

Agreed. And compared on various genre of stereo components from Hello Kitty boom boxes to high end tubed gear.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus