Stay away from Stihl...

19cb557z3umf.jpg
Leaf blowers. This is my first one that seized up after 7 years of use. I thought maybe it was a fluke that this one failed and purchased a second identical one. Didn't really have time to get it fixed since it was the middle of fall and leaves were everywhere. 2 1/2 years later my second one seized and shattered internally. Fortunately I,have about 6 months of warranty left and the're going to issue me a new unit. Tech. I spoke with stated that Stihl uses shims where the bearings are placed to ease assembly.

So, essentually the shims fail and then the bearings and then the motor is trashed. I'm sure older ones are better units but the newer ones are junk. Just an FYI in case someone here might purchase one in the future.

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Noted.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Stihl has a 2 yr. warranty and I had a 1 yr. extended on the 2nd one. I won't have confidence with the new one and will probably try Echo next time. They have a 5yr. warranty.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Depending on how much used, 7 years for “consumer” lawn goods isn’t bad. If you want one to last, stay away from box and retail stores. Buy a commercial one.
  • Had a 2 cycle Weed Eater blower that I bought at Sam's prior to the 1st Stihl and it lasted 16 yrs. I heard that Weed Eater was down in quality too since then. Roll of the dice I guess.
  • This unit is a commercial one BTW.
  • I had the 86c and used it daily for 5 years and it too seized. Changed to Husky for their top of the line back pack as well as hand held.

Can't complain with my Stihl Farm Boss chain saw but I don't use it daily either. I do start it every so often and pops right off. ? 7 years on that blower was actually pretty good.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Thanks for the info. I was looking to buy the same BG86 to replace my crappy-craftsman that i currently have.

I wonder when the tech support mentioned shims, maybe he talking about the crankshaft journal bearings. In which case is a standard bearing that all engines use.
  • Viking64 wrote: »
    wacvam9uvubz.jpg

Tried one of those but I couldn't get it to fit my hands! :D
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    You have to watch out for the left-handed ones. :p
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2019
    Those Stihl blowers use that strange 4-cycle/premix engine. Not as simple as traditional 2-stroke motors because they have intake/exhaust valves. I'd stay away also. My Husqvarna (based on a tried/true Redmax design) has been going strong for over 6 years. Only needs an occasional carb cleaning.

Wait, I see you are talking about a handheld gas blower. I don't think those have the 4-stroke. However, in general, the handheld blowers are not really meant for heavy use. They are consumer grade. 7 years is pretty good out of something like that.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Charley, not meaning to imply misuse, but how do you make your oil/fuel mix?
    What grade fuel and brand/type of oil do you use?

Wondering whether early failure could be a side-effect of ethanol?

I have a Stihl Kombi and getting ready to go into the 10th year with it. It's my trimmer, edger, and blower all in one.

Not sure it's a good thing, but I run premium fuel in every motor I operate. With the Stihl, I use their synthetic 2cycle oil. Pour a small bottle into the 1gal can, add recommended measure of Stabil, then off to the gas station a couple times a season with my other two gas containers, and top up to the 1gal mark.

I change the air filters here and there, and give the carb a cleaning from time to time.

Fingers crossed it continues long forward.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I do like their bar and chain oil for chainsaws :) It has a tackiness property that is good for turntable platter support bearings (the washer kind) like those found in some old Duals and Garrards to name a couple.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • I use Phillips 66 91 octane ethanol free fuel & Stihl synthetic oil. Usually clean filter a couple times a year and a new plug annually. I will not have any confidence in the new replacement. I think they are just cutting costs as big business usually does.
  • billbillw wrote: »
    Those Stihl blowers use that strange 4-cycle/premix engine. Not as simple as traditional 2-stroke motors because they have intake/exhaust valves. I'd stay away also. My Husqvarna (based on a tried/true Redmax design) has been going strong for over 6 years. Only needs an occasional carb cleaning.

Wait, I see you are talking about a handheld gas blower. I don't think those have the 4-stroke. However, in general, the handheld blowers are not really meant for heavy use. They are consumer grade. 7 years is pretty good out of something like that.

My model is commercial grade.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    I can’t comment on their new equipment but I have a BR600 backpack blower that’s close to 9 years old. Probably one of the most used tools in my garage. I love it and it works perfect and the same since the day I got it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited February 2019
    Wow, Charley, that's a pretty solid regimen there, thanks for sharing the info.

This is disappointing.

edited for removal of economaniacal commentary
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    One of the keys to longevity in 2 cycle engines is Ethanol free gas IMO
    Mixed with a good 2 cycle oil makes for a happy motor.
    I put the same gas (sans oil) in my 4 cycle equipment too.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I use Startron in everything from my chainsaw to my diesel trucks. Never had a problem. My Stihl chainsaw has thousands of hours on it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Have Stihl everything, leaf blower, trimmer, hedge clippers, and, of course, chain saw. Have had the chain saw 20 years and I wish everything I owned worked as flawlessly as it does. The yard stuff is 6 years old as they were replaced when I gave my other Stihl yard tools to someone in need...those were 8-10 years old. They are still in use today with no issues.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited February 2019
    Sorry about your bad luck with Stihl....I had a BR420 magnum blower in 2005-2006 and went to the BR600 in 2006, never had one issue with the BR600 going on 13 years. Starts every time and has ran flawlessly. That 4-mix engine sings the same pitch for the whole fuel tank, never missed a beat.

I've had my KM110 Kombi power head for 4 years and never an issue, best two pieces of portable power equipment I've owned.......except for the Husky chainsaws... B)

With Stihl, use fresh fuel, ethanol free if poss, and their ultra oil, especially for the warranty period. I've used most of my stash of Mobil 1 racing 2T.... :'( and I've switched over to Motul 800 racing 2T for probably the last 3 years. 50:1, ethanol free gas....rock and roll. This combo is slightly more expensive to burn, but I can leave them sit for a month or 2..or more and they start right up.

Ethanol fuel is pure garbage for OPE, the push mower will sit all winter with fuel and will start on the 1st or 2nd pull in spring.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    charley95 wrote: »
    Stihl has a 2 yr. warranty and I had a 1 yr. extended on the 2nd one. I won't have confidence with the new one and will probably try Echo next time. They have a 5yr. warranty.

Don't get the Echo stuff at Home Depot. Find a dealer and get it from a dealer. Lots of Echo's low-end consumer grade stuff is built by the same Chinese company that builds most of the low end consumer grade stuff that looks the same but has different names and colors on the plastic. If you go to a dealer that handles Echo, you will see the difference. It's apparent. Consumer grade Echo gets horrible reviews. Dealer sourced stuff is indestructible, apparently.

If you're already used to dealing with Stihl and their dealer network then, Echo shouldn't be a big deal. Just go to their website and find a dealer that also services them.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Store-Locator
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I was looking to buy the same BG86 to replace my crappy-craftsman that i currently have.

I wonder when the tech support mentioned shims, maybe he talking about the crankshaft journal bearings. In which case is a standard bearing that all engines use.

No, he's likely talking about the crankshaft end plate and/or thrust washer which needs to either be precision machined so the bearings sit on their races properly aligned or you use spacers/shims to take up the slack of less-precise machining methodologies so your crank doesn't walk on it's bearing journals and end up rubbing on it's journal caps and bearing aprons. But because the crank moves, it will wear on the plates and washers which eventually need replacing or they fail entirely. When they fail, the high speed engine parts contacting the low speed engine block makes for pretty spectacular failures.

There's Ryobi engines out there where a "regular maintenance" is to, literally, disassemble the valve train and replace all the shims on the valves and reassemble after re-indexing the crankshaft. On a $150 leaf blower/weed whacker. Otherwise, they get out of sync with then engine and it won't start because it won't build compression properly. That's insane. It's either do the service or buy a new one. If you do the service and pay someone, it's $200+ worth of labor. A new one is $150. You might get two years out of a new one before it needs the service. So if you go that route, prepare to dump $150 every year. If you're handy, you can do the service yourself with a basic mechanics tool set. You have to order the parts online because Home Depot doesn't carry them at all.

That's a common problem with those pre-mix 4-stroke engines someone else mentioned and why lots of companies have stopped using them.

They are significantly cheaper to make because they have lower tolerances on the machining. It's way cheaper to stamp out a ton of shims than it is to precision mill the bearing carriers. Plus, if it fails in 3 seasons or so, faster if you're a typical home owner and don't take care of your stuff, then it's easy money to keep people coming back in for a new leaf blower.

• Jstas
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I was looking to buy the same BG86 to replace my crappy-craftsman that i currently have.

Your "crappy craftsman" is most likely a Husqvarna unit built for Sears/Craftsman and rebadged as Craftsman.

Husqvarna also owns the Poulan and Poulan Pro names. Your Craftsman is a step above the Poulan Pro brands.

Personally, I have a 4-stroke Craftsman weed whacker and a 4 stroke Craftsman leaf blower and couldn't be happier with them.

Both are 7 years old and aside from the tube end on the leaf blower needing to be replaced because it's worn, that thing has been a champ!

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I've had the same Blower for at least eight years and have used the $hit out of it. At a previous home we had approximately 100 scrubs that I would trim 3-4 times a year, cleaned up every bit of the clipping with this blower. Not 1 hiccup, other than I cleaned the Spark Resister once.

I've had one of their Chain Saws, Hedge Trimmer, String Trimmer, Pole Saw, Blower and most recently a Combi Unit. Nothing but great service from every model.

Luck of the draw I guess.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2019
    Problem solved

3zmfh1ule9cy.jpg

Unless you live in Cali oh and at the price it's a real Stihl !!!
  • Got the new unit. Wish me luck, cause I sure don't trust it.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Honestly, every brand has issues at times.
    We have had Stihl stuff that lasted great, but I think more based on luck.
    Neighbors have had issues, but have not with junk brands.

Everything can have issues when used with mixed gas, and outdoors and under tough conditions.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    I have some Stihl and some Echo. Both work well but from my experience I need to have the carburetor rebuilt about every 5-6 years. Next time that happens I am going to give a brushless electric a shot 40 volt or higher.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^One of the better things I've done for yard work was to get rid of my gas powered weed wacker and use a battery operated one. It seemed I could never once weed whack without an issue with the gas jobs.