Nice pair 1951-52 Tung Sol Black Plate 12AX7

Pretty rare to find these days. Long black plates, bent square getter. One of the best sounding BP 12AX7's around. These are the real deal, not rebranded RCA's like so many after 1952, These were made 1949-1952 by Tung Sol, anything after was rebranded and manufactured mostly by RCA.

This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.tubemaze.info/tung-sol-12ax7-black-plates/

I some how ended up with 4 pairs of these over the years and I don't need them all in my stash. These are well matched and very strong.

$155/pr. Shipped and insured - Paypal preferred.

Post interest here or PM.

Thanks for looking, I can take some photo's but they look like the one in the link.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Interesting to see this and read about these tubes. I really don't have a need for them as the only amp I have that uses the 12AX7 is a Yaqin that I don't play much anymore. Just curious, though – Is it true that one would see less marginal sound improvement from high quality tubes like these if they're used in a pre-amp vs a power amp? Thanks and GLWTS -
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Do these have the ...

"The black plate TungSol 12AX7 with the “Bent rectangle” shaped getter is a fantastic 12AX7 "

Think'n this might be my huckleberry . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Yes, bent rectangle, I call it square but in reality it is rectangle.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    GlennDog wrote: »

Think'n this might be my huckleberry . . .

They are fantastic tubes!

H9

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Hmmmm. Don't have a pair of these. How do these compare to the Valvo long plate 45 degree halo getters? Sounds like a pretty different tube......

Or how about the RCA 5751 black plates? I would be using these tung sol tubes in in my DAC, replacing the RCA 5751 tubes...... I would get a little more gain from these too.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • heiney9
    A bit more transparent and articulate than the Valvo's and deeper bass. If anything the Valvo's can be a tad "polite" in the low bass region.

More resolution and transparency than RCA 5751. The only other tube that comes to mind similar to the TS's are the 1956 RCA 12AX7 BP, Horseshoe (sometimes called fat D) getter on short post with double cross bar. Also a very hard to find tube. The TS's are smoother while still being articulate.

H9
  • headrott
    Thanks for the description Brock.

RCA 5751's can be a little muddy, I notice. But they have great bass as far how low they reach. If I can get a tube that has a combination of both (along with transparency and detail), that would be my ideal tube.

I have a pair of RCA BP 12AX7's with the horseshoe getter. Should I stick with those? Or would upgrading to these be worth while?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    Also Brock. How are the labels on these? Still there and easy to read?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Thinking...thinking...
  • headrott
    PM sent Brock.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'll take them if headrott passes.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    H9, could you please explicate on the sound diff b/t this tube and the Tung Sol long grey plate slant square getter? Thanks
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Put me 3rd in line please. Also, would love to try those 5751's in my pre.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • headrott
    If I like the Tung Sol tubes, I would consider selling a pair of the 5751's. I have several. Mostly RCA's, but also a pair of virtually brand new (literally used about an hour, brought from Tube Maze, if I remember correctly) that I would consider selling.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Newbie questions here:
    Can a 12ax7 be used on the same circuit as a 12au7 (in dual triode mode)?
    Will it produce more gain and potentially more noise into the system as stated above?
  • heiney9
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Newbie questions here:
    Can a 12ax7 be used on the same circuit as a 12au7 (in dual triode mode)?
    Will it produce more gain and potentially more noise into the system as stated above?

Typically no. You'd have to check with the manufacturer. I'm sure in some cases it would work without hurting anything, but circuits are designed around one tube/tube type usually, so going way outside the parameters usually doesn't get you great of results.........but that's just the general rule.

H9

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ok, thanks for that
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    muncybob wrote: »
    Put me 3rd in line please. Also, would love to try those 5751's in my pre.

Should this be marked SOLD ? ?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    **BUMP**

I've decided to sell another pair as I don't need all these sitting around not getting used. It's a great tube that other's need an opportunity to try.

Same as the original post. I prefer Paypal friends and family.

H9
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Pm sent
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• heiney9
    Pm sent
  • heiney9
    $OLD