SDA SRS Interconnect cable

2»

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    BINGO!!!

Now, put the bottle down and step away from the keyboard.

I concur. Jesse did you read post 3:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I concur. Jesse did you read post 3:D

LOL...sure did.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I just picked up a pair of sda srs 1.2tl's ,no interconnect cable,I was gonna check them out with a 200 wpc receiver . Anybody think I will have a problem Thx.
  • F1nut
    What receiver is rated at 200wpc?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    I just picked up a pair of sda srs 1.2tl's ,no interconnect cable,I was gonna check them out with a 200 wpc receiver . Anybody think I will have a problem Thx.
    As long as that receiver is stable into 4-ohm loads, you'll be OK. The SRS 1.2TL is supposedly a "6-ohm" load, but it'll drop below six ohms at some frequencies.

I'm not saying you'll have optimum sound quality--but you won't blow anything up unless you're a madman with the Eviction Control Knob.

I'm with F1nut. What receiver is this? 200 watts into 8 ohms? Or is this the Best Buy rating method, where you have two, 100 watt channels but they advertise it as "200 watts"?
  • you guys are correct its a 100 wpc 200 total,I do have an old 78 Akai that I believe is 125 wpc.I might try instead .
  • Schurkey
    edited February 2019
    Fookin' Best Buy and the rest of the mass market for adding watts-per-channel together as if that meant something.

Fookkin' FTC for not putting a FIRM stop to that deceptive practice.

Dirtballls, all.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    I just picked up a pair of sda srs 1.2tl's ,no interconnect cable,I was gonna check them out with a 200 wpc receiver . Anybody think I will have a problem Thx.

As it states in this thread. You DO want to get a IC cord for your speakers. When you do get it. Try unplugging it & you notice a difference in the sound. To me its worse without cord. Just my opinion. Welcome to Polk Forum also
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    you guys are correct its a 100 wpc 200 total,I do have an old 78 Akai that I believe is 125 wpc.I might try instead .

I would be very careful using a receiver with these speakers. Not enough power IMO. It may start clipping at 10:30-11:00+ on dial. Not Good. May damage receiver or speakers... You could always add a amplifier to receiver 'if it can'.... Just make SURE its Common Ground.
    Randy/Maine
  • I just inherited a pari of SDA SRS 2 speakers and the interconnect wire doesn't seem to make a difference in sound. So based on what I am reading above there is either something wrong with the wire or the speakers. Who could I contact to have a look at them?
  • Schurkey
    mporterf wrote: »
    I just inherited a pari of SDA SRS 2 speakers and the interconnect wire doesn't seem to make a difference in sound. So based on what I am reading above there is either something wrong with the wire or the speakers. Who could I contact to have a look at them?
    You're already "in contact" with the people you need to talk to. Are your SRS 2 speakers pin-blade or blade-blade? Are the contacts tight on the sockets mounted to the speaker cabinets? Have you tested the resistance (continuity) of the conductors in the SDA cable?

SDA is source-dependent. If your music has little or no difference between the two channels, (poorly mixed, recorded in mono, "Mono" button on the receiver/preamp is engaged) SDA will be poor or non-existent.

You could also have seized SDA drivers, or an open-circuit somewhere inside the cabinet.

Is your amplifier common-ground?

Are you sitting in the recommended listening position, with the speakers placed as Polk recommends within the room? If you're connecting and disconnecting the cable from behind the speaker, and listening from there--no, you're not going to hear much difference between "with" and "without" the cable connected.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mporterf wrote: »
    I just inherited a pari of SDA SRS 2 speakers and the interconnect wire doesn't seem to make a difference in sound. So based on what I am reading above there is either something wrong with the wire or the speakers. Who could I contact to have a look at them?

Hey welcome! We’re here to help! Post some pics of your speakers, including the speaker terminal interface on the back. That’ll get us started.

Tell us about your system too. @Schurkey comments are valid. Lots of things to consider. No worries, we’ll get your rig rocking! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    He PM'd me and I've got him trying a few things.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    F1nut wrote: »
    He PM'd me and I've got him trying a few things.

You’re in good hands @mporterf !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Schurkey wrote: »
    Is your amplifier common-ground?

I am using an Onkyo HT-RC330 receiver. Would that be the issue? Perhaps not enough power to the speakers? The speakers sound amazing without the interconnect cable, but I have heard that I could reach audio nirvana with the cable.
  • F1nut
    Lack of power is not related to lack of SDA.

That said, your receiver isn't going to provide the best overall sound that your speakers are capable of.

President of Club Polk

• NeoPolk
    NeoPolk Posts: 8
    edited May 2020
    Very grateful for this community. I was gifted a pair of SDA 2 speakers about 15 years ago from my uncle. Recently I noticed that one of the right speakers mid range was not playing or was but very low. I think it’s the interconnect cable. I have one connected (barrel type) but that doesn’t seem to make the right speaker come alive. How can I make this cable or, hopefully, order one?

Picture of the model label:

cfilkfoctnq0.jpeg
  • NeoPolk
    Midrange from my speaker.

mopwdae06byy.jpeg
  • NeoPolk
    Also and idea of the “specs” of this speaker? Watts, Hz range, etc?
  • NeoPolk

Other images of my speaker

4bfn8ek7d1md.jpeg
    o32i6liioh2i.jpeg
    gjiodabbpz2w.jpeg
    5iszuw4ixonw.jpeg
    xtlehv27epyk.jpeg
    sepssnmcv6gk.jpeg
  • NeoPolk
    Do you guys know what fuses should be used for these speakers?
  • NeoPolk
    bx4dyvo9ocp8.jpg

This one shows numbers next to the ports
  • NeoPolk
    I did find this which is similar to my speaker.

https://polksda.com/pdfs/SDA1.pdf
  • F1nut
    edited May 2020
    Remove the fuses and check for a broken wire. If good clean the ends and the clip holder ends. Reinstall.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Those are ealy SDA-2s.
    The correct schematic is here:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/72427.pdf
    PM me, and I can email you the owner's manual on them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Hi. I just got me a pair of SDA`s. Theyre missing the cable that is going between the speakers. The connector seems to be with two blades. Where can I get this? Living in Norway, it may be best just to get the connectors, since it may have to be sent from US? I also have a problem with one of the speakers. It is no sound from tweeters. I have checked all tweeters by disconnecting them from the crossover, and then there is sound from each of them. But not when connected to the crossover. Ant thoughts?
  • F1nut
    What is the model? If you are not sure post a picture of the front without the grill and one of the rear.

President of Club Polk