Ken HELP. Please get Vanilla to fix this problem

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
It occurs on the iPad Mini, and the iPhone. Thank you.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185364/another-vanilla-problem/p1

iPad Mini is at latest software.

qbb5nqij68bn.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• BlueFox
    Also, if possible please change the subject from ‘to fi’ to ‘to fix’. Thanks. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hello,
    I've brought it to their attention.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    I don't think Vanilla will be able to fix the Apple issue........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • BlueFox
    Thanks Ken. It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I don't think Vanilla will be able to fix the Apple issue........

If it was an apple issue why would it have started a week or two ago...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    One thing that might help is that my old full size iPad works fine. It no longer gets Apple software updates. This indicates Vanilla has done something that affects the latest IOS.

Old IOS that works fine.

c1ekzbqh40ha.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    As crappy as it is I zoom in the page and it allows me to see the text field as I type.

Annoying yes but until it gets smoothed over it may work.

IPad Pro running IOs 12.something on Chrome app.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I can't tell you how long it took for me to get logged in this morning, when I shouldn't have been logged out to begin with. The fields for my username and password are missing, all I keep getting is a small "x". At what point do all involved admit Vanilla is a failure and move on to a different platform! Just the fact that 50% of the width of the screen is a background picture and 1/3 is used for actual posts is enough to declare it a failure. At least the background isn't so bright it burns my retinas, like it did for a short time a few years back.

yvpsxembgmya.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    the little white box...

Kinda reminds me of that movie a while back about that video game that would kill people...
  • Hermitism
    I think I posted this in the wrong Get Vanilla To Fix This Problem thread. There's another one on page 2. Do the people that work for Vanilla ever actually spend time in any of their forums to see all the glitches? I bet when they get home and get on their computers, they are all members of vBulletin & Proboards forums. Everyone knows someone that works on an assembly line that tells their closest friends, "If you saw how these were put together, you'd never own one!"
  • mhardy6647
    Vanilla and the legacy of this particular forum probably represent a square peg/round hole kind of conundrum.

My guess is a 'greenfield' :) implementation of a social media-type thing meant mostly for mobile device use via Vanilla would be fit-for-purpose. Retrofitting the legacy Polk forum to Vanilla's ecosystem (ahem), however, was (as I once heard the waggish sports commentator Charlie Pierce comment) a cluster of that which should not be clustered. :no_mouth:
  • Hermitism
    This has become my daily routine involving this forum.

Start my computer, open FF, check forum, I'm logged out, Try to log in, No place for user name and password, just small X, refresh page 5 times, 10, 50 10, 200 (however long it takes)... finally logged back in, start skimming through threads, find something I'd like to comment on, write comment, proof read five times, click on Post Comment, suddenly logged out, try to log back in, no place for user name and password, just small X, refresh page 5 times, 10, 50 10, 200... finally logged back in, go back to thread, my post never got posted and has been erased from the Leave A Comment box, retype comment, click on Post Comment, post worked, immediately notice typo/misspelling, select Edit, fix typos, Save, suddenly logged out, rinse and repeat. Forgot to check PMs, rinse and repeat.

I've been trying to Save Draft every time I want to comment, but I forget to. At some point you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" It would just be easier to stay logged out, read others' posts and not participate. Great forum experience!
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Hermitism wrote: »
    This has become my daily routine involving this forum.

Start my computer, open FF, check forum, I'm logged out, Try to log in, No place for user name and password, just small X, refresh page 5 times, 10, 50 10, 200 (however long it takes)... finally logged back in, start skimming through threads, find something I'd like to comment on, write comment, proof read five times, click on Post Comment, suddenly logged out, try to log back in, no place for user name and password, just small X, refresh page 5 times, 10, 50 10, 200... finally logged back in, go back to thread, my post never got posted and has been erased from the Leave A Comment box, retype comment, click on Post Comment, post worked, immediately notice typo/misspelling, select Edit, fix typos, Save, suddenly logged out, rinse and repeat. Forgot to check PMs, rinse and repeat.

I've been trying to Save Draft every time I want to comment, but I forget to. At some point you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" It would just be easier to stay logged out, read others' posts and not participate. Great forum experience!

well, a person needs a hobby, you know?

As an aside -- I like the way that technology has replaced all of our old time work with what I call metawork, i.e., service to the technology itself. Metawork is, e.g., checking e-mails -- or clicking on a tiny white box with an 'x' in it a hundred times.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    When I see the SIGN IN/REGISTER boxes, I just click "Recent Discussions" below them and it goes to that page and I am suddenly logged in. PC, Windows 10, Google Chrome.
  • Hermitism
    It doesn't happen all the time, but several times per day. I think Vanilla doesn't like Firefox, and I'm too stubborn to change browsers just for one website. As long as the forum has been using vanilla, I haven't had this many issues until recently and it's been getting worse. I used to get logged back in within ten times of refreshing the page. Now it gets to the point that I give up, do something else, then come back and try again. Desktop, laptop, not specific to one computer, but have Win10, FF on both.

And bonus... I go to all this trouble to get logged back in, only to find @msg sent me hairy naked guy pictures with claw hands and feet to my inbox. WTF?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited February 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    When I see the SIGN IN/REGISTER boxes, I just click "Recent Discussions" below them and it goes to that page and I am suddenly logged in. PC, Windows 10, Google Chrome.

That's weird. When I login I always get the same thing

bcmol9s5bab2.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    It doesn't happen all the time, but several times per day. I think Vanilla doesn't like Firefox, and I'm too stubborn to change browsers just for one website. As long as the forum has been using vanilla, I haven't had this many issues until recently and it's been getting worse. I used to get logged back in within ten times of refreshing the page. Now it gets to the point that I give up, do something else, then come back and try again. Desktop, laptop, not specific to one computer, but have Win10, FF on both.

And bonus... I go to all this trouble to get logged back in, only to find @msg sent me hairy naked guy pictures with claw hands and feet to my inbox. WTF?

I didn't think Russ wanted those shared.
  • msg
    Dude that was just a heads up of the paparazzi shot of your date last night.
    I disabled signatures.
  • @Hermitism Have you cleared your cache and cookies? Sounds like a possible corrupted cookie.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Hermitism
    @Hermitism Have you cleared your cache and cookies? Sounds like a possible corrupted cookie.
    About once a month I clear both when doing computer maintenance, but I'll do it now and see if it makes a difference in the next couple days. Thanks!
    msg wrote: »
    Dude that was just a heads up of the paparazzi shot of your date last night.
    In your defense, it was an album cover you sent me. Couldn't find one with a naked lady???
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    corrupted cookie.

I know this girl who had a.....nevermind. :o
  • Hermitism
    @Hermitism Have you cleared your cache and cookies?
    As I was about to do this just now, I noticed that I have all 3rd party cookies blocked. Not sure if that would contribute to the problem.
  • msg
    edited February 2019
    Good note. It may very well be - could be the cookies that would normally hold your login/session status info.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg wrote: »
    Good note. It may very well be - could be the cookies that would normally hold your login/session status info.

Exactly. Cookies are usually tied to an authorization token that compares against an authentication server.

• Hermitism
    edited February 2019
    What a nightmare. Cleared cache and cookies, changed 3rd part settings, closed FF, then reopened, logged back in, no problem, clicked on a thread, got logged out, little tiny "X" again, took ten minutes to get logged back in.
  • Hermitism
    This is the only site that I have issues with.
  • Hermitism
    And now I get this when trying to view this page. I can't win. At least I'm not in Tony's situation.

wqx0fqdsoui3.jpg
  • Hermitism
    Refresh the page and then it looks normal. I'm livid.

7iwhz1txk0ch.jpg
  • msg
    Try deleting your account in Vanilla and recreating it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    msg wrote: »
    Try deleting your account in Vanilla and recreating it.
    If I do, my new screen is going to be "Monosodium Glutamate".