TV to psw10 to Speakers??

Lost my receiver suddenly and I was looking for a temporary solution to hook up my psw10 and potentially some speakers to my TV. My TV is really basic, just has stereo rca coming out, so I plugged that to the sub rca line in, which is working. I was going to try to get a couple of speakers connected to the sub, but that is not working.
it seems that if you use the rca entry on the sub, you can't use the speakers out on the sub. And I don't have any wires only out on my TV.
I am sure it would be a very bad idea to strip the rca cable from tv to plug in the subwoofer, so am I shoot out of luck until I get a new receiver? Any cheap suggestion until I get a new receiver? Thx

Best Answers

Answers

• Correction, the audio line out of the TV is a 1/8 inch audio jack, looks like ț
    Tipical headphones jack, I just had a converter 1/8 inch to rca plugged into it.
  • I knew the TV couldn't do that, but I thought that a powered sub potentially could do that, pardon my ignorance here, isn't it what the power amp is about, amplifying signal? In that sense I don't understand why there is an out speaker on the sub...what is the functionality?
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    One thing I'm not clear on here is whether the through-signal is full range, or if it's only the high-pass frequencies based off of the sub's crossover knob setting.

That depends upon the individual make & model of sub.
    Take SVS as one example.
    The PB-1000 has "...Stereo line-level RCA Input & 80Hz High Pass Filtered Output connections"

Whereas the PB-4000 has an adjustable one.

But to address the original question.
    As others said, you need separate amplification of some sort.
  • Sansrisque
    Sansrisque Posts: 5
    edited February 2019
    Thank you all for your detailed answers and time spent to explain, I really appreciate it! Too bad about the design of the sub, I am wondering what would have been the cost difference having the sub also amplify for the connected speaker... (making it dual use)

This is kind of follow up question to further my understanding. I was surprised by the very high volume level I get on the sub on rca. I have to run the sub volume set to the minimum almost when plugged in to the rca input. What would happen if I did wire the TV audio jack to the subwoofer speaker input, would it risk to damage everything? Or is it safe but I would just get a really low volume on the woofer and associated speaker ? (I understand that is usually a no-no but I am not sure if because it is useless, or dangerous, I understand that if you send to much power to a speaker you can blow them up, but not sure if you undepower them...? And at the same time, I was wondering if the TV audio jack is outputting signal that is out of spec and too strong compared to normal. I associate volume with power here which may be dumb....but if it is it out of specs, is it usable for my temp situation? BTW my TV is a changhong brand, could be a bit off specs ;) )
  • Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Where are you located? Almost any Craigslist area will have cheap receivers listed that will do what you want a lot easier and better than messing with the sub.

I need to replace an Onkyo HTRC160 Home Theater (the receiver that died). Any suggestion then on something équivalent in capabilities but cheap that can be found safely ( US)? I have the whole family on my back about it lol, and little cash at hand at the moment.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Where are you located? We can check your local Craigslist for you.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sansrisque wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Where are you located? Almost any Craigslist area will have cheap receivers listed that will do what you want a lot easier and better than messing with the sub.

I need to replace an Onkyo HTRC160 Home Theater (the receiver that died). Any suggestion then on something équivalent in capabilities but cheap that can be found safely ( US)? I have the whole family on my back about it lol, and little cash at hand at the moment.

How little cash ? I have a receiver for around 200 shipped for you, way better than what you had too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable