RD-0194’s on backorder....

Options
Just in case anyone’s interested ...
Just ordered 4 for my 1C’s today - on back order till early FEB ...
BK
Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    Also , out of the MW 110 drivers for good ....
    have 79 of the 111’s on hand ....
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • gyosa
    Options
    Oops .... spellcheck ....
    Make that 6510 and 6511 .....
    Bk

• ttownscott
    ttownscott Posts: 11
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ordered my RD-0194’s today as well. CS guy said they were on the way and to expect them 2nd week of February. He also confirmed that they will not have more MW6510's. The manufacture would require 5000 units and there is not enough demand.
  • gyosa
    Options
    He told me Midwest Speaker Repair ( I think ) was going to try to manufacture a run of replacements for the 6510’s , but at least a year away ....
    BK

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    So...just to ask the question:

WHAT is different among the various mid-woofers from a construction standpoint?

I've seen the chart of the electrical properties, and that's NOT what I'm asking about.

What is different when building a MW6510 vs. a MW6511? The voice coil? The spider?

I don't claim to be an expert on driver building, but it appears that the frames/baskets are the same, the cones are the same, the dust-caps are the same, the magnets are the same, and the surrounds are the same. The gaskets are the same. The electrical connections I think are the same. (they're not on the RD0 tweeters)

Different DC resistance leads me to believe the voice-coils differ. If the weight of the voice-coil is different, I can believe that the mass change affects resonance, efficiency, and frequency-response. If the spiders are different--some stiffer, some looser--again, I can see resonance and other functional changes.

So perhaps Polk Engineering will enlighten us about what "special" parts are in the 6510s that aren't in the 6511s.

The midwoofer drivers that actually looked different--the "Donut Drivers" for the SRS 2.3--have been disco'd for years if not decades.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The 6510s have more coil winding.
    I bet the 6511s have more excursion.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    End of an era. Looks like fleabay is about the only place for salvaged woofers, unless Midwest starts making reproduction MWs.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ttownscott wrote: »
    He also confirmed that they will not have MW6510's. The manufacture would require 5000 units and there is not enough demand.

That's saddening. When I started looking for my first pair of SDA's, the one thing that helped the lure into this journey was the fact Polk still offered parts for these vintage speakers.

I thought if I was going to own a pair of these great speakers, at least there would be product support.

Not saying it's entirely the fault of Polk, I have no idea of the whole story, but hopefully the product support will find a way to continue on, either through Polk or another vendor.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    ttownscott wrote: »
    . The manufacture would require 5000 units and there is not enough demand.

5000 of each driver 6510,6502,6503,6511,6500.6501? Or 5000 total?

Funny thing up until 8-10 years ago they (polk) were proud that they still supported the vintage line of speakers. Now the barely support anything it seems.

Will Midwest use rubber surround? I'm guessing more than likely they will be foam.

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The Vintage Polk forum will soon be no different than the classic Porsche forum.... A Swap meet.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gmcman
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The Vintage Polk forum will soon be no different than the classic Porsche forum.... A Swap meet.

I don't currently own one, but that's what I like about Mercedes. You can pretty much still purchase all the parts for their classic cars, albeit expensive, still MB part.

Half the reason I came back to Polk, was because of the product support.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    End of an era. Looks like fleabay is about the only place for salvaged woofers, unless Midwest starts making reproduction MWs.

Agreed. I mean, really, Polk has done a bang-up job offering replacement drivers/tweeters for our "vintage" speakers for a long time. I'm surprised they didn't hang it up a while ago...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited January 2019
    Options
    in this day of throw away electronics, you have to applaud Polk for supporting their vintage stuff this long. In comparison the LSI series is already no longer supported at any level.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gmcman
    Options
    I agree Polk has done a great job keeping the SDA's alive as well as other vintage models. I just hope someone can pick up where Polk is leaving off.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Are the RDO-194's still on back order? I just noticed a rattle in one of mine.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    I just bought a pair of 198's and the CS agent I spoke to said they should have stock of 194's by the end of the month. Said it shouldn’t be like last year when they were delayed til summer.
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Are the RDO-194's still on back order? I just noticed a rattle in one of mine.

Not sure if it will help but fixed it for me. I tightened the set screws surrounding the dome. I had rattling and resonance on certain freq.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Not sure if it will help but fixed it for me. I tightened the set screws surrounding the dome. I had rattling and resonance on certain freq.

Thanks Cody. I remember you mentioning that and checked. Mine were tight unfortunately
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • codycatalist
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Thanks Cody. I remember you mentioning that and checked. Mine were tight unfortunately

Ugh that sucks man.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It is amazing the way Polk supports their older products the way they do.

I knew it was good but never really appreciated it till I tried to get some parts for some Paradigm v2's (circa 2000?). Need a new tweeter diaphragm? (which are known to be problematic). Sorry, we quit making them and nothing else will work or even fit in their proprietary housing.

How about a Paradigm Mini Monitor V6 that is not even 10 years old? The whole front is is one big polymer casting. You can't just replace the driver. It is integral to the speaker housing. I bought a pair cheap but later found out someone dropped them. Luckily with some JB weld and a lot of cursing I got them running again.

But I would have rather paid $50 for a factory replacement part, avoid the hassle, and did it right.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think Polk is unique in that they used similar drivers across many models over a number of years. In this day of age, if everything being different, your experience would be similar to Polk latest offerings.

Polk no longer has parts for most of their speakers made 10 to 20 years ago.

Definitive is similar, the BP10b has been manufactured unchanged for 15 years! Most of their models share similar drivers and such.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Just got off the phone with parts. Ordered two replacements and mentioned that one failed on me and the tech asked if it'd been less than a year since I purchased them. I said I wasn't sure and he's sending me a warranty replacement when they get in. Nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• codycatalist
    Options
    Awesome!