Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Yessir, Odyssey Stratos Extreme Stereo, standard Odyssey caps versus Symphonic Line
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Tri Vista dac

lb8i7hmrm79q.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Ci audio plc passive pre, very impressed with this guy

ztbxjf5ggq95.jpg
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    And now for something totally different:
    Dual 1229
    qo0bliihihjv.jpg
    pyhug2dj2lkz.jpg
    Possibly the pinnacle of German over-engineering...for turntables.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    And for good measure, a Garrard 770 w/Unimech:
    upgtrvelg5ab.jpg
    Not sure this one was worth the effort, but it belongs to my wife's grandfather, so I soldiered on with it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2019
    ... and that, boys and girls, is why we don't have record changers any more.

;)

Hateful things... Garrard were the hatefulest of them all; my father hated servicing them. I always thought that the Dual automatics had about five times as many parts for any given function than were actually needed.

My father liked the VM (Voice of Music) mechanisms and owned a VM changer that served from 1958 until well into the 1980s. It was, in fact, my first hifi record player; I put a cheap Pickering conical stylus cartridge on it ca. 1975 or 76 and played pretty respectable mono through an EV Wolverine LS12 fed by a rather glorious (actually) EICO HF-52 PP EL34 mono integrated (50 wpc, with superb iron.

I would've rescued the VM when he downsized from a house to apt in 2006, but it was a little too rusted and gunky cosmetically due to a decade or so of damp storage :(

Fun fact, the last, and arguably the ultimate, VM changers were sold as the BIC 940/960/980 in the mid 1970s (after the demise of VM).
    http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I <3 GUTS.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Especially that Pass and Odyssey. Dayum
  • jdjohn
    edited February 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    My father liked the VM (Voice of Music) mechanisms and owned a VM changer that served from 1958 until well into the 1980s. It was, in fact, my first hifi record player; I put a cheap Pickering conical stylus cartridge on it ca. 1975 or 76 and played pretty respectable mono through an EV Wolverine LS12 fed by a rather glorious (actually) EICO HF-52 PP EL34 mono integrated (50 wpc, with superb iron.

I would've rescued the VM when he downsized from a house to apt in 2006, but it was a little too rusted and gunky cosmetically due to a decade or so of damp storage :(

Fun fact, the last, and arguably the ultimate, VM changers were sold as the BIC 940/960/980 in the mid 1970s (after the demise of VM).
    http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/
    Gary at VOM is still doing business with parts and stuff. I know several guys over on Vinyl Engine recommend him for certain items.

I had to take that Garrard down to almost bare bones in order to clean/service the speed/size selector. There are four settings: 78, 45, 33 (7 in.), & 33 (12 in.), so yeah...lots of fun!
  • jdjohn
    edited February 2019
    Back to our regularly-scheduled programming, guts of Symphonic Line RG1-MK3...notice any resemblance? Ok...on second thought, maybe not.
    vdygb5ci1wtt.jpg
  • VR3
    You should bring that bad boy to Georgia
  • jdjohn
    VR3 wrote: »
    Fine with me as long as you (and your strong, young back) move it around.
  • mhardy6647
    8807cou69jsb.png

Looks like y'all's got some scorchin' goin' on on the that PC board (center right)
  • joecoulson
    jdjohn wrote: »

Do it. Me and Trey will get it.
  • VR3
    edited February 2019
    I would say I would bring the pass labs, but it has to be on for 3 days before it even sounds good. Haha. Plus I don't know if it will be back yet.
  • jdjohn
    joecoulson wrote: »

Do it. Me and Trey will get it.
    Come on, guys...it takes several hours for it to warm-up. I'm more than willing to bring it, but we have to start thinking about how much time we *really* have for critical listening. I can load it up for the trip, no problem, so just say the word.

Remember Joe, you also wanted to give the S300 class D a fair shot.
  • VR3
    Yeah pretty much all of the apps we are talking about take a full 24 hours to get up to speed and they still are not "there"
  • joecoulson
    If say just the s300 as my reason for that is possible acquisition of the mono’s if they outperform the Linns. Which will be a hard feat
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2019
    Come on, guys...it takes several hours for it to warm-up. I'm more than willing to bring it, but we have to start thinking about how much time we *really* have for critical listening. I can load it up for the trip, no problem, so just say the word.

Remember Joe, you also wanted to give the S300 class D a fair shot.

Great point. Frankly I'll be surprised if Joe can stop flapping his gums long enough to do any real listening.
  • joecoulson
    Takes one to know one DG
  • mhardy6647
    fastz28 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    8807cou69jsb.png

Looks like y'all's got some scorchin' goin' on on the that PC board (center right)

thats why i got it for free and i got a board from audio research and rebuilt it.

most excellent :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    I love that this thread I created is still going. Great pics guys, keep it up.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    Dude, we lose @TonyB, we get @dorokusai back?!

... and he still has more posts than I do.

PS this is a great thread, even if the title was Vanilla-hostile.

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    yjnhxt7ufz5d.jpg

The split brain version of these amps:

Duelly power supplies and boards.
    mq2kcjsyemk3.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • jdjohn
    Rogue Audio Triton phono pre...nice Audyn caps
    vgqy3e1prsjj.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited February 2019
    Couple Chinese Class A/B sub amps I purchased...

yjny00i4ojuw.jpeg
    c96g2u48eecl.jpeg
    rm0uw40g9tu4.jpeg
    kgdg241zjyg1.jpeg
    2oj0dw9eg4h7.jpeg
    qwib1oix6zai.jpeg
    coor1g3i2whj.jpeg
    wp3a4nf380bx.jpeg
    359gzmzwkcdd.jpeg
    qltc2tjioieo.jpeg
    5a901mlpj0i1.jpeg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    challenge!

can anyone find images of the PS Audio M700's on the inside?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    joecoulson wrote: »
    challenge!

can anyone find images of the PS Audio M700's on the inside?

This is what it's ICEpower module looks like, if that helps:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F0%2F20150512080859_ICEPower700ASC2FrontWeb.jpg