I'm grateful, and introspective

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Well the past few months have been a bit rough. My company announced a major re-structuring before the end of last year, including employee reductions.

A voluntary separation package was offered to those close to retirement, and others that were looking to do something else. The results of this program did not meet the numbers they were looking for.

As such, the company announced it would be undergoing an involuntary separation program.

Anxiety, rationalization, fear, you name it, et.al., were prevalent among all the employees. It consumed all of us. Water cooler conversations were not pleasant. Sleepless nights. No matter what you were doing, even on vacation, those thoughts crept in of an impending doom. Needless to say, the past few months have been stressful.

Well the involuntary program is now complete. Nearly 4000 employees in North America total were let go.

I, and the Mrs, are happy to report that we are still employed! Sweet yes, but also bittersweet as some of my longtime friends and colleagues are now gone.

Just happy and grateful to have survived. But the introspection continues.

I can say, my time on this forum and interaction among you was certainly a de-stresser for me. So thanks to everyone for your comments and engagement.

You all really helped me during this time! :smile: Another reason why CP is such a special place.

Thank you all! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    verb wrote: »
    Well the past few months have been a bit rough. My company announced a major re-structuring before the end of last year, including employee reductions.

A voluntary separation package was offered to those close to retirement, and others that were looking to do something else. The results of this program did not meet the numbers they were looking for.

As such, the company announced it would be undergoing an involuntary separation program.

Anxiety, rationalization, fear, you name it, et.al., were prevalent among all the employees. It consumed all of us. Water cooler conversations were not pleasant. Sleepless nights. No matter what you were doing, even on vacation, those thoughts crept in of an impending doom. Needless to say, the past few months have been stressful.

Well the involuntary program is now complete. Nearly 4000 employees in North America total were let go.

I, and the Mrs, are happy to report that we are still employed! Sweet yes, but also bittersweet as some of my longtime friends and colleagues are now gone.

Just happy and grateful to have survived. But the introspection continues.

I can say, my time on this forum and interaction among you was certainly a de-stresser for me. So thanks to everyone for your comments and engagement.

You all really helped me during this time! :smile: Another reason why CP is such a special place.

Thank you all! :smile:

Glad to hear you made it through, and best of luck moving forward! We went through the same thing about a year and half ago. It's been a whirlwind since. For us the entire atmosphere has changed, and it continues to send the few seasoned people left looking for greener pastures. Hopefully your transition period will carry out more smoothly.

Best of luck!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    I totally understand been there, done that so I know the stress it can cause.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That is some sad news with great news in it too.

Security has been on my shoulders since I was 19. No safety net what so ever.
    Stress of the worst kind almost.

I also went through that stress of a restructuring due to ownership change and a lot of my co-workers left BEFORE they had a chance to be cut from their employment. In fact the manager got VERY upset after a week or two and had a meeting with all of us who were still there. In a mean and hateful way, he asked if there was anybody else planning on leaving to let him know then and there. F him. Nobody was going to tell him and get fired. A couple or more left for more promising employment and therefore, nobody else was even let go. There was half a workforce there. They got friends and others pretty quick after a month I guess to carry on. A lot of new faces.

I'm glad you have a hobby or two to help and most of the time, the people working the hardest continually will not be let go. The management needs somebody that knows what's going on to stay.

Lastly, that is sad 4000 people have to try and find that income security again. I know that dreaded and bad feeling all too well. I wish the best for your friends that they find equally paying employment elsewhere.

I'm glad you still have income security coming in and insurance still valid too I'm sure. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Good luck with the changes. We are here for you.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Glad to see you made it through. It is unfortunate this happens to a lot of larger businesses. When I was at McDonald's corp this happened. Escaped a few rounds only to be let go. My current company, I have survived the last 5 rounds re-orgs.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    The good news here is that the automotive industry is strong. Other companies are already waiting in line to interview our fallen brothers and sisters. I know they'll pick up the pieces quickly.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife survived the downsizing! Been there and done that myself, it's not pleasant. But hopefully now things will settle down and you can relax without the stress of waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Juuuuuuuust buy another piece of equipment to make your SRS’s sound good and you’ll be fine ;)o:)
  • verb
    Juuuuuuuust buy another piece of equipment to make your SRS’s sound good and you’ll be fine ;)o:)

Ya know me my man! I think it's time to celebrate! :smile:
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Thanks for sharing. Happy for you. Do u mind sharing what industry you’re in? Best -
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    There's no stress like "money" stress. I'm glad those days are behind me.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    stretchl wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Happy for you. Do u mind sharing what industry you’re in? Best -

Of course. Automotive! :smile:
  • verb
    steveinaz wrote: »
    There's no stress like "money" stress. I'm glad those days are behind me.

Yep. I have a lot of admiration and respect for those of you who have done that! I'm not quite there yet, but have a plan for sure! :smile:
  • verb
    Juuuuuuuust buy another piece of equipment to make your SRS’s sound good and you’ll be fine ;)o:)

Well I took your advice! I got a little sumthin coming! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If you decide to downsize I call dibs on the VTL!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Verb, glad you made it through the cuts. I'm sorry to hear about your friends who didn't make it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Wow, that's definitely some stress, I'm glad it has worked out for you...at the same time sorry to hear about your friends.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    verb wrote: »

Well I took your advice! I got a little sumthin coming! :smile:

Dog, You're off the leash!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Well, just an update. After the hellish period a while back, on June 6th (yes anniversary of D-Day) - I celebrated my 25th anniversary with my employer! Woo Hoo! :smile:

On a glide path? Hardly. With so much change in the industry, technology and lifestyle (electric and autonomous) there are major shifts afoot. Pardon the pun, but full steam ahead! I've never seen anything like it in my career. Uncertainty - certainly! Gonna be a wild ride for sure!

Just grateful to still be part of it. The Mrs and I of course, as she is in the biz too!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good luck. Although I just retired, layoffs are common in high-tech, and I’ve been laid off a few times. While it does hurt, I always ended up better off.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Since you, and your wife, survived I think that means you can go buy some more gear!
  • verb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Since you, and your wife, survived I think that means you can go buy some more gear!

Yeah! :smile:
  • verb
    edited June 2019
    So today, the corporate Board of Directors approved the program that I'm working on to proceed, which is a major milestone. Investment capital funding, assembly plant confirmation, a whole lot of internal processes and infrastructure are all now approved. Which essentially means that this program is for real. A lot of things can happen prior to this milestone, like delay, re-scoping, or even cancellation.

But for me, I'm happy, that for the next 3-4 years at least, I'll be busy. Very busy until we go to production. And employed! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Congratulations Dave! Hey if you need a test driver for your top secret all electric dragster let me know. I'm here for ya buddy...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Corvette is going to become it's own brand and spawn an SUV based off the previous C7....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very cool and pleased you have some calmer waters ahead.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Porsche came out with an SUV.

Why not Corvette? That would be interesting now, wouldn't it?

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-models/cayenne/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Tony M wrote: »
    Porsche came out with an SUV.

Why not Corvette? That would be interesting now, wouldn't it?

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-models/cayenne/

Notice how quiet Verb is on that topic...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited June 2019
    I actually don't hate the new Blazer RS:

2019-chevrolet-blazer.jpg

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-RS-25.jpg
  • verb
    Dynamite styling! Love it! :smile: