Don't laugh

2»

Comments

• afterburnt wrote: »
    Give it a shot you may find some synergy. If nothing else it's great for driving HT channels

I appreciate it brother.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Alright, got the FX and Power supply running and hooked it up through my Denon pre and it sounded...not far off from the start. Slightly more air to the sound but didn't engage me any more or less than before.

Ran the FX directly to the adcom and a little warmer, not much though and the volume control (while nice) is too sensitive and the sweet spot is harder to nail down. I used my GE 5654Ws that have been in my Little Dot to not worry about break in time (been used daily for 5-6 hours for a year). I will sit and listen over the next couple days and report back.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    We probably should have told you to temper your expectations. A tube buffer is just that, a buffer. It isn't going to be the same as a stand alone tubed pre amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    That FX thing is, reputedly, an active gain stage... although I am still not sure how much gain it is reputed to provide. Also, who knows about the input & output impedance?

I suspect (???) these things run the plates of the tubes starved (low B+), but, again, who knows? Haven't seen a schematic or any voltage measurements from one. Just lots of audiophile-esque comments (rarely provided with direct comparisons to better-known components "head to head").

All this being said, I would have to think that a decently stiff linear P/S couldn't help but improve the performance of one of these gizmos.

Mind you, I am one cheap ... well, you know :p -- the kind of person who'll spend $3000 on stuff, but only $30 at a time ;) -- but I still haven't been too tempted by these. Just sayin', you know.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited February 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I have a Russian vishkod pair and a sleeve of GE tubes 5654 jan yours if you want them. The Russian 6ak5 vishkod are the best IMHO. I found it to be the best in my old yaqin cd2 buffer. I sold the cd2 and a set of gold pin vishkod tubes to @erniejade he liked them as well IIRC.
    i got some too Thx & yes they do sound great. Rolling tubes is fun. Enjoy

Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • I am also keeping in mind my darn room. Any small changes mess with my room mode and the addition of the recliners soaked up more bass than intended. I figure that's why it seems a touch brighter. Didn't get much time to listen this weekend so I will refrain from further comments on Sq until I have time to experiment.

• mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That FX thing is, reputedly, an active gain stage... although I am still not sure how much gain it is reputed to provide. Also, who knows about the input & output impedance?

I suspect (???) these things run the plates of the tubes starved (low B+), but, again, who knows? Haven't seen a schematic or any voltage measurements from one. Just lots of audiophile-esque comments (rarely provided with direct comparisons to better-known components "head to head").

All this being said, I would have to think that a decently stiff linear P/S couldn't help but improve the performance of one of these gizmos.

Mind you, I am one cheap ... well, you know :p -- the kind of person who'll spend $3000 on stuff, but only $30 at a time ;) -- but I still haven't been too tempted by these. Just sayin', you know.

I did pick up one of those Pyramid Linear PS (5 amps) just to mess with it more. Admittedly since I got the FX and recliners in my music room a WHOLE host of other problems came up so I haven't spent a cumulative hour since the changes.

• mhardy6647
    ...Admittedly since I got the FX and recliners in my music room a WHOLE host of other problems came up so I haven't spent a cumulative hour since the changes.
    Non-audio-related, I infer?

:(

...Admittedly since I got the FX and recliners in my music room a WHOLE host of other problems came up so I haven't spent a cumulative hour since the changes.
    Non-audio-related, I infer?

:(

Yes. New bed frame cracked at the side posts, wedding planning stuffs, extra work etc etc. I'll get back to that room soon I hope.

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    I hate broken bedframes! :/
    (not being facetious, either -- usually the problems we've had with them were old ones, though)
    (not being facetious, either -- usually the problems we've had with them were old ones, though)

No kidding. My first solid wood bed frame and it cracks. I assume either defective or since it is a natural imperfection type style there was a natural crack that compromised it...I guess that is defective but I digress.

It is good looking though...

8vmmqjkzgcb3.jpeg

• Been listening for the past hour or so. Gear warmed up for 30 min before listening. Mids seem beefed, hearing soundstage wider than I have in this room. Some rough edges seemed softened.

I’m a VERY hard critic on these speakers in this room and I’m enjoying what I hear.

• mhardy6647
    wait, I haven't been paying enough attention :p

What have you got for tubes in the thing? There seems to be a fair opportunity to improve the sound inexpensively with a tube swap (based on the chatter at AK and elsewhere).
    wait, I haven't been paying enough attention :p

What have you got for tubes in the thing? There seems to be a fair opportunity to improve the sound inexpensively with a tube swap (based on the chatter at AK and elsewhere).

I bought a varient that came with the GE Jan 5654w, I had experience with them from my little dot and like their sound.

Granted I don't know at what voltage is being applied to the tubes but this FX warms the tubes up more than my little dot... By a decent margin. Not too hot to touch but gets uncomfortable after 5-10 seconds.

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    The operating points for the same tube could be different in the two components (the heat depends more on current than voltage; more to the point the plate dissipation of the tube(s)).

As I'm sure you know, prevailing internet wisdom (is that an oxymoron? ;) ) seems to be that the GE tubes ain't great in this little preamp -- but I have no ears-on experience and, as always, de gustibus non est disputandum. :|
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

No kidding. My first solid wood bed frame and it cracks. I assume either defective or since it is a natural imperfection type style there was a natural crack that compromised it...I guess that is defective but I digress.

8vmmqjkzgcb3.jpeg

Where is the crack?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

8vmmqjkzgcb3.jpeg

Where is the crack?

Side rails. Starts at bottom and goes about halfway up. Side rail is .5 inches thick. I'll get some pics and PM you

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Oki doki. If it is at one end it will likely involve the fastening device, be it bed hooks, bolts, etc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk