Which to choose.. Rti vs Monitor

I’ve found two pretty good deals on FB for two different set ups. This will be a starter. I’m now looking at receivers as well. The receiver I may get is the Yamaha RX A 1070 from Assesories4less. One lady has a set of RTi12 with a CSiA6 for $400 and the other I’m looking at is a pair of Monitor 70 series II with TSi 100 bookshelf’s and CS10 center for $380. Wondering which set would you prefer? Would this Receiver be sufficient? It is a FB post. Any things to look out for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Hands down the RTi, no question. Now go run and get that awesome deal!!!
  • I’ll try to take a look at those tonight.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Any luck?

He says that because if you didn't have any he's going to try his. ;-)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Damn Skippy! Lol
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Yep, I'll 2nd or 3rd it. RTi all the way. I upgraded from Monitor 70's to RTiA's, what a difference. You might as well skip the upgrade and go for the gold. Good price.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Get the RTi,

The 1070 AVR will have some power for them but not enough. Look for a used amp when you get the funds.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    It sounds like you're buying the RTi used, and the Monitor new? Also, it's the previous version of the RTi, not the current A series. Unless you lean significantly more towards movies than music, I would personally go with brand new monitors. My music to movies ratio is like 10:1. Of course Sigs would be better overall. But if your budget is $400, you'd have to go with bookshelves and still have enough left for a center. If you already have a sub, then that works. Of course you'd have to get speaker stands for the bookshelves. I'd say go with a newegg package deal for a Signature series 5.1 and the odds that you'll be thinking of speaker upgrades in the foreseeable future are very slim.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2019
    mrloren wrote: »
    Get the RTi,

The 1070 AVR will have some power for them but not enough. Look for a used amp when you get the funds.

We have Aventage series receivers, and never found the power lacking.
    That is even in 5 channel mode, with center and 2 surrounds.
    The center and surrounds never seen any bass signals, so not really a limitation in my experience.
    The one he is looking at, is realistically rated at:
    Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)=110 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

And yes I realize AVR's typically have less robust power supplies running in multi-channel mode, but just saying in real life usage, it does not truly seem to be that much of an issue, but we do not use lease-breaking levels, I realize some do.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    110 watts with 2 channels driven...does anyone watch a movie in 2 channel ? At 5 or 7 channels that 110 watts will be less than 60.

Big speakers, multi driver big speakers, benefit greatly from a good dose of power. Not to go louder per say, but for better clarity, dynamics. I would say the RTI12's fit into that category.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    edited February 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    110 watts with 2 channels driven...does anyone watch a movie in 2 channel ? At 5 or 7 channels that 110 watts will be less than 60.

Big speakers, multi driver big speakers, benefit greatly from a good dose of power. Not to go louder per say, but for better clarity, dynamics. I would say the RTI12's fit into that category.

Real world experience did not find it to be nearly as much as an issue as you think it is in theory.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Ed Zachary
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    K_M wrote: »

Real world experience did not find it to be nearly as much as an issue as you think it is in theory.

I'm not "thinking", I know. What amp did you use with yours to compare with ? At what volume levels ?

Also, if your the type to listen to movies at low volumes with big speakers, you may come away with your assessment. Then again, one doesn't buy big speakers to listen at lower volumes, especially movies.

A good dose of current will open up big speakers, to the point of at least understanding what they are capable of. If one is curious about the capabilities of the RTI12's, a receiver alone will not give you that. Doesn't mean you can't just use a receiver, if you want to, but then whats the point of buying big power hungry speakers if your not going to feed them what they need to perform the way they look ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862

I watch in 2.1....
  • K_M
    Willow wrote: »

I watch in 2.1....

We mostly watch in 3.1 with 2 subs
  • K_M
    edited February 2019

I'm not "thinking", I know. What amp did you use with yours to compare with ? At what volume levels ?

Also, if your the type to listen to movies at low volumes with big speakers, you may come away with your assessment. Then again, one doesn't buy big speakers to listen at lower volumes, especially movies.

A good dose of current will open up big speakers, to the point of at least understanding what they are capable of. If one is curious about the capabilities of the RTI12's, a receiver alone will not give you that. Doesn't mean you can't just use a receiver, if you want to, but then whats the point of buying big power hungry speakers if your not going to feed them what they need to perform the way they look ?

Yikes, can someone simply have a different opinion??
    Many many people use the Aventage series receivers and are quite happy with them.

Everything does not have to revolve around getting every last Iota of sound, and loudness, and maxing it out the ultimate, what it is capable of.

If it sounds great, it sounds great.
    I talked about this in another post. We tried the pre-amp outs and did not find enough difference to keep outboard amps hooked up.

again, at normal listening levels, and even fairly loud, it was simply not an issue.

You may listen at far higher levels than we do...no problem
    Post edited by K_M on
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited February 2019
    you can haul a 30 ft camper with a Ranger. But if you use a F350 it makes it much easier. Same with amplifiers. Get more even at low volumes & better for speakers. Just my opinion
    Randy/Maine
  • Geoff4rfc
    boston1450 wrote: »
    you can haul a 30 ft camper with a Ranger. But if you use a F350 it makes it much easier. Same with amplifiers. Get more even at low volumes & better for speakers. Just my opinion

Yeah baby, the massive V10!! I agree and totally relate. I used to haul my tandem axel race trailer complete with bike, tools and extra gear, all with my little Ranger, then, I got my F-150, it's no 350 but what a diff it made!!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I never knew what my RTA-8Ts could do until I hooked them up to a Parasound 1500A. They truly came alive for me, so much so that I lost all interest in upgrading them.

I only got the Parasound because that was the year 2004 I came on this forum and was told my receiver didn't have the power to run a pair of LSIs!

Ignorance is bliss because I thought I was rocking with my 110wpc Denon, since I didn't know what I was missing until I heard for myself. Now that I know, I simply can't go back to just using a receiver.

If you have no intention/interest in getting every last detail from your speakers, you will be perfectly happy with just running a receiver for all of your speakers, because you won't hear or know what you are missing.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • K_M
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I never knew what my RTA-8Ts could do until I hooked them up to a Parasound 1500A. They truly came alive for me, so much so that I lost all interest in upgrading them.

I only got the Parasound because that was the year 2004 I came on this forum and was told my receiver didn't have the power to run a pair of LSIs!

Ignorance is bliss because I thought I was rocking with my 110wpc Denon, since I didn't know what I was missing until I heard for myself. Now that I know, I simply can't go back to just using a receiver.

If you have no intention/interest in getting every last detail from your speakers, you will be perfectly happy with just running a receiver for all of your speakers, because you won't hear or know what you are missing.

Yeah but there are a lot of variables. We almost always run 2 subs, with that AVR, and at the moderate levels we use, it simply was not an issue.

I did not say it was not different, but simply not enough to matter to us.
    We have literally 5 systems, and in a mid sized room at normal volume watching TV and movies, it was great.

On another system, we use separates and run them full range.
    On That system I agree, it would be an improvement.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Yes there are always variables. The space that the system is in plays a big part in the equation.

I went from a 400sqft apartment, to 670sqft one. I had more room to fill and found that I could localize my sub, so I got a another one which helped balance out the bass.

And I have no doubt that having all my speakers amped ensured that I still continued to hear every detail from my system.

Different strokes and all that. But if people come on here asking, I almost feel obligated that they know that what they are considering now can always be made better if they so choose to spend the extra money to achieve it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Geoff4rfc
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Yes there are always variables. The space that the system is in plays a big part in the equation.

THAT....is so important indeed!! In my little space, I've run my set up in two different configurations. When set up with a 15' deep opposite wall, the sound is good. When spun 90 degrees and now the opposite wall is 30' deep, the sound is "opened up" if I may. I don't utilize all that depth however the sound is not restricted by a short wall.

Well said Cathy, well said :)

• Willow
    To answer the OP's question, RTi. I know what the Adventage avrs are like, I have one and use it for my atriums. Again, to the OP your yammy will power them. You'll never know what they could sound like if you don't get an external amp which also could be a good thing you won't know what you might be missing. Buy the Rtis play them and enjoy them, if later on you feel like getting your toes wet by all means go ahead as I'm pretty sure you have pre-outs on that avr. If you never go that route so be it.
  • Willow

I watch in 2.1....

Wouldn't that be 3.2
  • Geoff4rfc

I watch in 2.1....

Wouldn't that be 3.2

LOL, I wasn't going to say it...……. :wink:

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited February 2019

I watch in 2.1....

Wouldn't that be 3.2

In all fairness not if its just a split (mono) signal as opposed to two separately EQed sub channels, at least not on my definition...

You can have 10 subs and still be running 5.1 in my book, if either all the subs are coming form the same LFE channel or some of them are connected to the other speakers to make them full range...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Geoff4rfc
    I think I'm gonna need some popcorn....haven't had any in awhile :smiley:

• Willow
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I watch in 2.1....

Wouldn't that be 3.2

In all fairness not if its just a split (mono) signal as opposed to two separately EQed sub channels, at least not on my definition...

You can have 10 subs and still be running 5.1 in my book, if either all the subs are coming form the same LFE channel or some of them are connected to the other speakers to make them full range...

True, but we don't know and really I don't care if his is or not. I do agree with you though.
  • K_M
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna need some popcorn....haven't had any in awhile :smiley:

5.1 bags :p