Don't laugh

Picked up an FX Audio Tube01 buffer to see what it can add to my system. It uses 6J1s and plenty of other replacement tubes. I am going to put some GE JAN5654Ws since I use those in my little dot.

I read the tube buffer is actually a nice little piece and punches well above it's $31 price tag. I don't expect miracles but for the price experimenting is worth it, worst case itll get Karma'd or given to a friend who knows. I did buy an aftermarket linear PS to go with it that is rated at 5 amps so it should have enough power and I read it made a huge difference.

We shall see, device and Power supply come in tomorrow. I'll hook it up to my adcom then up to some throw away speakers to make sure all is well before I hook up the SDAs. Will report back.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2019
    ROFLMFAO!!!!

WAAAAAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    FWIW -- It is reputed to actually have gain; i.e., not just a buffer.
    Many are singing its praises (e.g., at places like AK) ... but I have to wonder what else they've heard in terms of active preamps, much less what they might have compared it to.

Good luck & have fun!
  • Yeah, it punches well above its price tag of $31.00. It performs as if it were worth $51.00......LOL.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • ROFLMFAO!!!!

I said DON'T laugh John! GOSH! Maybe I can compare this to your set up :D:D:D

I mean I have nothing to lose and no money for better considering I just bought my first mattress/box spring set, a new bed frame and a recliner loveseat for the music room.

Worst case I will switch back to my normal set up and live content until money comes available (After my wedding in Sep).

@mhardy6647 That is exactly where I saw this and read the thread extensively.

I don't expect this to be a world beater, just curious what the difference may be. I like tinkering and this seems right up my alley.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Yeah, it punches well above its price tag of $31.00. It performs as if it were worth $51.00......LOL.

Hey then I am doing something right then yeah? LOLz

• nooshinjohn
    ROFLMFAO!!!!

I said DON'T laugh John! GOSH! Maybe I can compare this to your set up :D:D:D

I mean I have nothing to lose and no money for better considering I just bought my first mattress/box spring set, a new bed frame and a recliner loveseat for the music room.

Worst case I will switch back to my normal set up and live content until money comes available (After my wedding in Sep).

@mhardy6647 That is exactly where I saw this and read the thread extensively.

I don't expect this to be a world beater, just curious what the difference may be. I like tinkering and this seems right up my alley.

You are doing good Cody. When someone starts off by saying "don't laugh"... well I just couldn't help myself.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Definitely roll some better tubes. IIRC the 6J1 is Chinese or Russian and probably pretty horrid. As we discussed 6AK5 might be a good choice (RCA comes to mind). But I've no ever done any research or heard any 6AK5 so can't really help giving any impressions.

Have fun

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Definitely roll some better tubes. IIRC the 6J1 is Chinese or Russian and probably pretty horrid. As we discussed 6AK5 might be a good choice (RCA comes to mind). But I've no ever done any research or heard any 6AK5 so can't really help giving any impressions.

Have fun

H9

I do take what you say to heart and have already researched 6AK5s. Going to look I to some to buy later today.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I have a Russian vishkod pair and a sleeve of GE tubes 5654 jan yours if you want them. The Russian 6ak5 vishkod are the best IMHO. I found it to be the best in my old yaqin cd2 buffer. I sold the cd2 and a set of gold pin vishkod tubes to @erniejade he liked them as well IIRC.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I have a Russian vishkod pair and a sleeve of GE tubes 5654 jan yours if you want them. The Russian 6ak5 vishkod are the best IMHO. I found it to be the best in my old yaqin cd2 buffer. I sold the cd2 and a set of gold pin vishkod tubes to @erniejade he liked them as well IIRC.

Oooo Ivan coming in with the experience. You willing to sell that pair of Russian tubes?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Oooo Ivan coming in with the experience. You willing to sell that pair of Russian tubes?

No i do not plan on selling them.....
    I do plan on a karma to you if you want.
    It may be awhile before i could send them as I'm kind of laid up atm.
    Probably be a few weeks before i can drive to post office

Reading a little more about them, I wonder if they would pair well with my gear. I was primarily looking to inject some warmth into my sound. I see some reviews saying the Vishkod's have amazing imaging but are not as warm as the GE tubes.

Granted I keep saying this however the GE's may be too warm come time to plug it all in. Time will tell.

pitdogg2 wrote: »

No i do not plan on selling them.....
    I do plan on a karma to you if you want.
    It may be awhile before i could send them as I'm kind of laid up atm.
    Probably be a few weeks before i can drive to post office

That's quite the offer, we have come a ways from the Nocturnal Feline Protection PM thread haha. I would be glad to take them but like you said no rush. Just PM whenever you have free time my friend and we will get it hashed out.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Not laughing, in fact many here cut their tube virginity on buffers. Consider it a gateway drug to the rabbit hole we call toooobs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I better not order one then!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    Cost you nothing to try the Vishkods ;)

You may very well be able to use Western Electric 403b. They are all cheap enough to try in those little tubes. The WE's pop up from time to time on the bay. In my Yaqin CD2 i thought the GE's were very harsh to me. I had used Siemens 6ak5 and those are a bit too warm for me. I had thought the Vkods very neutral good top end.
    Pm me your info I'll see what i can do for you.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Like me, some rabbit holes are shallower than others.... until we dig them deeper.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cody screw these guys I will karma you an Emo 2 channel cause you are a righteous dude. Let the laughs begin.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You rock Bruce
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited February 2019
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Cody screw these guys I will karma you an Emo 2 channel cause you are a righteous dude. Let the laughs begin.

That's not a Karma, that's a curse.... :p;):pB)

• afterburnt
    @nooshinjohn I figured someone would say that and it was probably you. Anyway Cody, I still got those open back Sennheisers that are yours for the asking along with the amp. I can pass by your area and drop em both off next month if you like.
  • nooshinjohn
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn I figured someone would say that and it was probably you. Anyway Cody, I still got those open back Sennheisers that are yours for the asking along with the amp. I can pass by your area and drop em both off next month if you like.

Just a joke my friend. Good on you for the generous Karma. Nothing feels better than doing something nice for someone that deserves it. Cody certainly fits the bill.

• afterburnt
    Too bad that stuff is in CA I could run it over to you on the way back. It's worth checking out, don't cost nothing.
  • Yeah Bruce let's set something up. I don't feel as much of a hassle since we can do something local. Appreciate you.

• afterburnt
    Not sure when I will be back exactly but around three weeks, probably try to catch you on the way in. We can coordinate when I have a firm date.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I just spent 45 minutes listening to Blues for Allah on a pair of Dayton B652-AIR speakers via the infamous Monoprice "25 watt" hybrid amplifier. I am in no position to laugh at anyone.

B)
  • afterburnt
    At least that's my favorite Dead album. I never did dislike any of my Emo's, anxious to try the monoblocks with other configurations but none of the three that I have had are bad amps, there are just some amps that are better.
  • I've never been one to judge Emo stuff. It fits a price range and sound people like, others not. My Adcom isn't top dog but it fills a need.

By the way having a recliner instead of a futon in the listening space is a fantastic experience.

• afterburnt
    Give it a shot you may find some synergy. If nothing else it's great for driving HT channels