Yamaha RX A1070 with RTI12

I’m looking to purchase a receiver. I found a good deal on a Yamaha RX A1070. I saw an add on FB with a pair of A9 RTI12 with a CSiA6 Center for a pretty good price. I hear these are power hungry. I’m wondering if this receiver will have enough power to run this set of speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated? I’m may bump up the Yamaha to the RX A1080 would that be an improvement?

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    While it will power them and do a decent job, it certainly won't compare to an external amp.
  • Ok. So I’ll start to look into the direction as well. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions?
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    Don’t crank them too loud with either and set the crossover at 80hz or so and you’ll be fine, but if you want to hear what they are capable of doing you’ll want a hefty external amp.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Thank you Jeremy! I will start looking at amps. I’ve focused on receivers. I thought they were the same. Any suggestions on amps?
  • The problem is the internal amplifier of the receivers most of the time are not substantial enough for large loudspeakers. So if you’re looking to do a surround sound HT you’ll still need a receiver or processor/preamp to do the input switching and volume control. Then and external amp to power the speakers.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Good to know. Thank you. Any good price amplifiers I should look into?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2019
    You'll receive the typical answer of, B&K, Parasound, Marantz, Sunfire ..... You can also go for Adcomm, Emotiva to name a few. I'll also add a classic Cathy line " you're best at looking at 200wpc or more"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you are willing to get used, check for those brands on Audiogon. Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Good info. I’ll look into those. I’m 20 min down the road from assesories4less. Thank you
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    One good thing though.
    The Yamaha, although only adequate at best for those speakers, has pre-outs so you could get an external 2 channel amp down the road.

Something to think about.