Latest LSiM Adorama deal

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Shipped maybe 4 pairs of 703 via eBay, no issues.

I find taping the Styrofoam inserts are the key, otherwise they fall apart. Double boxing helps.

As far as keeping boxes, original boxes, manuals, grills, etc impact the value of an item greatly. Always beneficial to keep said items if you ever plan to resale.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Well you see, I stupidly thought they were my "endgame" speakers. I regretted that the moment the word left my mouth when I told that to my wife.

Maybe they would've been if I would have bought your pair off eBay and had you custom mod the crossovers like I should have instead of buying them direct from Polk.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    The LSiM series is a good speaker, but in the price point there just far too many competitors to call it an end game speaker. On that note, good sound is good sound, it really boils down to preference versus one being the end all be all, if that makes sense.

To me, not having boxes for a product like larger speakers devalues them by 25 to 35%, minimum. Maybe even more.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2019
    Sound United/Polk is interested in making money and moving their vast array of products. If Adorama accomplishes that, then that is all that matters.

The only one's who **** about it are those who are only interested in flipping their gear.

Too bad it's their loss, maybe they should try holding on to them and enjoying them rather than constantly looking for the next best thing.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    What happened to World Wide Stereo, they are no longer an authorized dealer?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Hold onto gear and not flip it? Blasphemy
  • cfrizz
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Hold onto gear and not flip it? Blasphemy

Then be prepared to have a tough time selling it! Cry me a river! :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    It wasn't Worldwide stereo that gave the boss deal on the 707 which in retrospect looks shakey anyway I did get a scratched up 706 from F&F noticed too late to do anything.
  • Clipdat
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The only one's who **** about it are those who are only interested in flipping their gear.

Too bad it's their loss, maybe they should try holding on to them and enjoying them rather than constantly looking for the next best thing.

You consider using them for 14 months and then selling them "flipping"?
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2019
    Frankly, yes, these machines be it electronics or speakers are built to last for years. Even though technology changes, it usually doesn't change so drastically in a year or more to make it worth getting the next years model.

Case in point, I ordered a Marantz AV-7704 because the only difference between that and the AV-7705 was a couple of extra codecs which I probably wouldn't use.

To my surprise the provider sent me the 7705 instead but I paid the lower 7704 price. But I wasn't about to pay the higher price for the 7705 because it was the "newest" piece out just to get a couple more codecs.

I managed to utilize my Sunfire pieces for over 15 years despite all the changes in technology that supposedly made them dinasaurs. They got the job done for me until they started acting up, so now I have NO problem upgrading because I certainly got my money's worth out of them.

I refuse to let myself fall prey to marketing schemes or just plain got to have the latest and greatest syndrome.
    Post edited by cfrizz on
  • Clipdat
    I'm referring to speakers, specifically. In this case my 703s that I recently upgraded from.
  • joecoulson
    Some have the ability/want to spend more on newer cooler things. Some don’t. Different strokes.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Some have the ability/want to spend more on newer cooler things. Some don’t. Different strokes.

I fully understand this and don't have a problem with it.

But DON'T sit there and complain that because now you want to get the cooler thing, you are unable to sell your barely used 14 month old gear for the price you want for it when someone can go and purchase it brand new from a store, and proceed to blame the stores or company who makes the product for undercutting YOUR sale. That's just idiotic.

As Trey pointed out, patience would have yielded whatever you upgraded to and probably at a better price.

I know that I like tower speakers, I'm not going to buy bookies just to have them until I can get the towers I want. I'm going to make do with what I have until the towers that I want come along, and by then I don't have a problem paying what they cost, because the money has been sitting there waiting until the towers I wanted came along.

I have always gotten what I wanted through exercising patience, and planning.
  • Clipdat
    Wow you are just full of piss and vinegar tonight aren't you?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow you are just full of piss and vinegar tonight aren't you?

Piss and vinegar?? Why because she is telling you the facts?? There isn’t one word she used I disagree with, she is telling you the truth..

I purchased my LSiM,s knowing I plan on keeping them for at least 10 years if not my last speakers for my HT, I could care less about resale on them.. I don’t even plan on my SDA’s going anywhere in the near future, there is a chance I’m sitting on my last speaker purchase...

• cfrizz
    Adorama Deals: Single-handedly destroying LSiM resale value, one fire sale at a time.
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    The only question is if Polk is somehow feeding Adorama some B stock with less than ideal manufacturing. I can't say I have noticed any issues with mine but I didn't exactly tear them down to look either.

Only when statements like this are made.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    Well I certainly understand the frustration. The cost of anything is the price minus the residual value at its service end. The expectation of buying the loudspeaker at a given price, totl from a reputable brand, is that the resale value will reasonably offset the expense. What happened with the LSiM is not typical and wasn’t expected.

If I buy a new Toyota truck for $50k, I would have considered its resale value in my decision. If the price dropped 50% because Toyota is now discounting it, then I lost money. Yes some benefit for waiting, but others who paid full price got the shaft.

This also will hurt the brand, consumers will not likely be willing to pay full price again.

Something else is odd here though, Adorama the exclusive LSiM online merchant? I think shipping damage and manufacturing defects plagued
    the series and the cost of returns became a problem for most merchants and/or the risk of damaging their own reputation.

Also I know from experience the assembly quality of the drivers in my latest three examples of the series are not close to those of 2016. Although sonically I cannot find an issue.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2019
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Adorama Deals: Single-handedly destroying LSiM resale value, one fire sale at a time.
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    The only question is if Polk is somehow feeding Adorama some B stock with less than ideal manufacturing. I can't say I have noticed any issues with mine but I didn't exactly tear them down to look either.

Only when statements like this are made.

I agree with those posts.
    Its a true statement and valid concern.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited February 2019
    Buying anything Polk Audio and concerning yourself with the resale value in the future is just (lack of better word) stupid.. I wouldn't even put them in the world of Toyota talk, more like buying a Chevy... That's not putting the brand down, it's not like all Chevy's are bad but you don't buy one for what you will sell it for in 10 years..

Had these never went on sale I still would not have them in my house, I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on them, and it seems I am not alone as these sell very well now, and since Polk is still building them they obviously priced these too high and was taking advantage of the consumer.. JMHO..

Had I just waited a little longer I would have saved more money..
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2019
    Anything Polk Audio, really? You can’t tell me 20 and 30 year old SDAs, and RTAs didn’t hold their value well.

And we’re talking about a line that has only been offered 6-8 year, I think.

The LSiM series are selling new at a third of where they started, That’s not typical and those that paid a much higher price lost money big time.

The RTi RTiA and LSi lines were discounted at times but never like this.

When I purchased my RTi12s new at 800 a pair during close out it was a great deal and the lowest Id seen them sold online. I have never seen A9s under 1350 a pair, at least for 10 years after they were released.

LSiM towers are now selling cheaper than the RTi ever did new online.

The LSiM were said to be a great bargain, by many established members here, at $3000 a pair. These kinds of markdowns are unprecedented.

And don’t get me wrong I also took advantage of the sales, but I am smart enough to see why some would be frustrated over it.

Come on man, you want to debate the Toyota analogy, you’ve missed the point entirely. Anyone who makes any purchase of non disposable goods should consider its resale value, not doing so is just, well stupid, (for lack of a better term).
  • Glashub
    Glashub Posts: 43
    edited February 2019
    When a new product is brought to market, the manufacturer has huge upfront costs (R&D, marketing, assembly set-up, etc) that it needs to clear from the books asap. Once that is done, we get the real cost of simply making a speaker. Everything is in place. Proof of concept delivered. When you buy a 1st gen car you pay more for less than you do when the car is in it's 4th gen (inflation aside). Or it could be that Polk has licensed its name to Adorama and Adorama is having the speakers built. Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein do this with TJ Maxx. Certain quality benchmarks have to be maintained but TJ Maxx hires their own factories to make the stuff to hit their price point. It's a Lauren BUT.... Just my .02.
    Post edited by Glashub on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe because they can buy them brand new with a warranty for 6 bones.

Yeah, I'm aware of the current sale price.

I listed them back when they were still being sold for $750 each on Adorama.

I've since lowered the price to $500 for the pair and still no interest. Do I have to lower to $400? Give them away as Karma?

In with 67.... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2019
    Glashub wrote: »
    When a new product is brought to market, the manufacturer has huge upfront costs (R&D, marketing, assembly set-up, etc) that it needs to clear from the books asap. Once that is done, we get the real cost of simply making a speaker. Everything is in place. Proof of concept delivered. When you buy a 1st gen car you pay more for less than you do when the car is in it's 4th gen (inflation aside). Or it could be that Polk has licensed its name to Adorama and Adorama is having the speakers built. Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein do this with TJ Maxx. Certain quality benchmarks have to be maintained but TJ Maxx hires their own factories to make the stuff to hit their price point. It's a Lauren BUT.... Just my .02.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but those expenses are separate from the costs of goods sold. They impact profit overall, but are not applied to one product line in a typical cost accounting scenario.

Although it’s considered when determining msrp, to meet ROI or return on investment goals. The main driver of price is supply and demand, and cost of input/raw materials.

I feel like the cost of inputs and or manufacturing, packaging, etc. “COGS” have decreased, or perhaps quality of inputs also (quality drivers, cabinets, finishes) has lowered COGS. Or, these are being liquidated, as is, to a third party to remove the inventory and associated expenses (warehousing) from the books. It’s kind of hard to say, but it’s very unusual for all major online retailers (except one) to drop a line from a major Brand in their product catalog.

That said this provides a rare opportunity to acquire loudspeakers with this level of sound quality at this price point, new with a warranty.
  • I learned early on -- don't get enthused about HT and expect to make money. It is a buy high, sell low hobby if ever there was one.
  • Buy physical gold if you want to preserve value. And make money at some point.

I bought 50,000 worth of gold in 2003 and sold in 2010. Sold to early but still got almost 4x what I paid.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    Although it’s considered when determining msrp, to meet ROI or return on investment goals. The main driver of price is supply and demand, and cost of input/raw materials.

I feel like the cost of inputs and or manufacturing, packaging, etc. “COGS” have decreased, or perhaps quality of inputs also (quality drivers, cabinets, finishes) has lowered COGS.

I agree with supply and demand being the core determiner of price, and that's not an incorrect interpretation of COGS. But, COGS and all the costing differing methodologies (e.g., absorption vs variable, etc) serve the goal of accuracy in financial reporting for the investors, tax purposes etc. Of course decision making is another purpose.

But, since we're talking pricing, then the focus is on breakeven analysis, the computation of which entails fixed + variable costs . So, while pricing is predominantly influenced by market variables such as demand, those involved in revenue projection have carte blanche, so to speak, over what defines relevant costs when arriving at the feasibility of a product or service.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • joecoulson
    Everyone is wrong on this thread. I am right.