Bipolar rear 702 F/X vs FXi A6 vs others

Trying to find a good pair of bipolar speakers for a 5 channel setup to match my Polk 705 and 706c. The couch is a foot off the back wall. So looking to either put them on a tall stand or screw on the back wall. It is an open space floor plan so the room is wider than it is deep. Goal is to have sound in a defined pocket of the seating area. The 702's might not get the WAF due to their size. Could not find a similar thread besides ones just discussing FXI models. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Some speakers I've found:

Polk Audio LSiM 702 F/X
Polk Audio FXi A4
Polk Audio FXi A6
MartinLogan Motion FX
Definitive Technology SR-9040

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The FXI A6 sound good, but are pretty large. They stick out about 9 inches from the wall, so I would suggest the smaller FXI A4 with your couch that close, if going with the FXI A series.

Just think this is a case where bigger isn’t necessarily better.
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Just FYI, the 702s are not bipolar, but have only one midrange and tweeter that is angled about 45° from the wall. They will work best slightly behind for 5.1 or slightly ahead of the MLP for 7.1.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    The FXi50's that I have would be too large for you as well, but I just want to mention that going from bookies (RT25i's) to them made a world of difference in the surround effects.

If you can find some bipole speakers that fit your space, you won't be sorry.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Would LS F/X work? bipole/dipole
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    dromunds wrote: »
    Would LS F/X work? bipole/dipole

I know someone that has some for sale!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Mine appear to be spoken for and are pending payment. I was just asking. Lol.
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Thanks all I think I'm leaning towards some Fxi 4's on a pair of speaker stands so I could play with placement. They are cheap enough to experiment with and dump if I don't like them.
  • pawelmwo
    Looks like the planets aligned and I found a pair of used FXI A4’s in White for super cheap. Guess I won’t have buyers remorse if I dont like them :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The FXI A speakers are very good sounding speakers, but a different type of sound from direct firing. Hopefully they’ll work for you.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The FXI A speakers are very good sounding speakers, but a different type of sound from direct firing. Hopefully they’ll work for you.

Agreed! I use two pair of the A6's in my set up. Started with them over bookshelves back in 2011. IMO there is no comparison, for surround, the FXi's are the "only" way to go :wink:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pawelmwo
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

Agreed! I use two pair of the A6's in my set up. Started with them over bookshelves back in 2011. IMO there is no comparison, for surround, the FXi's are the "only" way to go :wink:

Cool are yours mounted or on speaker stands? Curious about placement.
  • Geoff4rfc
    pawelmwo wrote: »

The sides are currently wall mounted and my rears are stand mounted.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pawelmwo
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

The sides are currently wall mounted and my rears are stand mounted.

Can you share what stands you are using? I couldnt find many that are going to be 4 feet or higher.
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited February 2019

Can you share what stands you are using? I couldnt find many that are going to be 4 feet or higher.

Right now I'm using a 34" Sanus from Audio Advisor for my rears. I've custom built my own to go higher.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2019
    Any chance of mounting on the ceiling to the sides of the listener?

rears.jpg

mount.jpgrears2.jpg

qs8_ceilingfront.jpgqs8_ceiling.jpg

Would created a true bipolar 5 ch surround effect. Then your back wall/ceiling is free to go 7 channel if you desire.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    If you ever want to add Atmos speakers in the future, you will want your side and rear surrounds (if any) just above ear level to give separation of the 5.1 or 7.1 bed layer from the height or ceiling Atmos speakers.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Geoff4rfc
    WLDock wrote: »
    Any chance of mounting on the ceiling to the sides of the listener?

rears.jpg

mount.jpgrears2.jpg

qs8_ceilingfront.jpgqs8_ceiling.jpg

Would created a true bipolar 5 ch surround effect. Then your back wall/ceiling is free to go 7 channel if you desire.

Very nice mounting system indeed!!!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I have my FXiA6's on 30 inch Sanus Ultimate stands with 1.5 inch tall spikes. This puts the tweeters at around 42/43 inches, a bit above ear height. I can't imagine why it's suggested to put them 6 feet up resulting in sound way above my head.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2019
    In my case with the rear of the couch is just 2 ft from the wall and one side open to the kitchen so I don't have many options. I don't want the speakers too close to my head. Adding height (Mated with delay) helps with the lack of rear distance. My ears are about 40" from the floor when seated. My rears are about 64" (driver center point) on the 8 ft walls. They are dipole 3KHz up, monopole 3KHz down. I get the best of both worlds. Most surround effects are diffused rear or side sounds that don't seem to originate too high or too close. While not the most optimal setup it works all things considered.

Artison Portrait LSR
    1211art.surr.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Thanks for posting this thread, it helped convince me to pull the trigger on some FXi A6's to go with my LSiM 705/706 front stage. Should get them on Wednesday!
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • pawelmwo
    WLDock wrote: »
    In my case with the rear of the couch is just 2 ft from the wall and one side open to the kitchen so I don't have many options. I don't want the speakers too close to my head. Adding height (Mated with delay) helps with the lack of rear distance. My ears are about 40" from the floor when seated. My rears are about 64" (driver center point) on the 8 ft walls. They are dipole 3KHz up, monopole 3KHz down. I get the best of both worlds. Most surround effects are diffused rear or side sounds that don't seem to originate too high or too close. While not the most optimal setup it works all things considered.

Artison Portrait LSR
    1211art.surr.jpg

Tried to look for those but seem impossible to find nowadays. I ended up finding a used pair of FXI A4's in white for $100. Figured if I don't like em that's not going to be something I'm too sad about. Our walls are grey with white molding all throughout the house should be an okay match despite not much in terms of WAF :)