Home theater crossover setup and level

Sony receiver str-dh590, Polk T50, T30, T15, and subwoofer Sony wa-2500...room size 13’ X 11’ ...thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    You're welcome
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is there a question somewhere in that ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I assume the OP is asking what crossover frequency to use.
    Again as willow said 80hz usually works great.

At times we have tried 100 and even 120 hz, and depending on location of sub, it can draw attention to itself, but if centered or like we do, 2 separate subs, can be a huge aid in reducing the load on a lower powered AVR and help clarity of smaller Left and right speakers, by removing the bass burden even more.

Levels are usually set by the AVRs set up program, but can be fine tuned manually.
  • 80 hz ill use and the level(db) dont have a spl meter ill go ahead do manually ..what about the sub 120 hz or full max 200 hz ..
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    jellyrolly wrote: »
    what about the sub 120 hz or full max 200 hz ..
    I think you are referring to the knob on the back of the sub, correct?

This is assuming you are using the LFE connection with a sub cable (there are different ways to connect a sub and you didn't mention how yours is connected). Disable the crossover on your sub. If your sub does not have a dedicated switch to disable the crossover, turn the setting all the way up (NOT the volume knob). Receiver's crossover to 80 Hz (that's not set in stone, but good starting point, mine is set to 80 and I like it). Set speakers to small in receiver's settings and LFE set to "SUB" only. Setting speakers to small will alleviate some stress on your AVR's amp. Different brand subs recommend setting the sub's volume knob to different positions (9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, etc.), so read the owner's manual for your sub before using your avr's set up program.