Once you go TiVo you can never go back!

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    But just since the update? Main unit updated at the same time?
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited January 2019
    I have a Bolt VOX now. Once I reset it to allow the Mini to jack into it, the option of updating the Mini to the new menu system came up on the Mini.
    I did
    Now oftentimes (but not always) when I am streaming Netflix or YouTube on the Mini it locks up on me.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163

Sadly, I think Tivo box units are going to be going obsolete over the coming years except for OTA reception. Some of the cable companies are moving their channels to IPTV instead of QAM. Over time, this will slowly eat away at Tivo's usefulness. I'm still using a Roamio from around 2015. Still working fine...knock on wood. If it dies, I'll probably just dump cable and go to only streaming services. I would NOT pay Comcast for their boxes and additional outlets, etc.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • msg
    Same here with COX.
    I still love the TiVo. Gonna be a sad day if/when the ability to use it goes away with our provider.
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    I've had two different Premiers, a Roamio and currently a Bolt. I've had them on Comcast, RCN and now Verizon FiOS (all at the same address) Stay tuned, because TiVo is adapting!
  • honestaquarian
    I now have a TiVo Edge for cable and a Mini 4K. I am VERY happy!!
    Funny thing is I sold my Bolt to my landlord and helped him set it up in the apartment across the hall and the remote (which was set up for RF mode) was controlling my Edge from across the hall!! Once I unplugged the Edge then it would control the Bolt. I had to call TiVo to find out how to unpair it so that it was only doing IR mode. Then I had to call RCN to get them to add the cable card to his account (which someone neglected to do when he picked it up) Once that happened everything worked famously.
    Both the Edge and the Mini 4K are faster than the older models. ESPECIALLY the Mini 4K. Ever since I installed the next gen user interface on the old Mini, it would eventually freeze up on me when I tried to stream YouTube or Netflix. Not a problem with the new Mini!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2020
    Looking at the Tivo Stream 4K to replace my older Roku boxes. I wish they would have given streaming ability for their DVRs in the new streamer, but I realize that it is a dead format. I'm still using Tivo Premier and Premier 4 with cable cards until they have no usability left. I've been a Tivo user since '04.

https://techhive.com/article/3543959/tivo-stream-4k-review.html
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • honestaquarian
    @anonymouse Which TiVo box do you have?
    Comcast on demand used to be in the menu where all of the apps showed up in the old TiVo menu system. I'm not sure where it would be now with the new one.
    Have you contacted TiVo? (Comcast would likely not be of much help in my experience)
    I had Comcast when I got my first TiVo, but I haven't had it in years. I remember when they first began rolling the on Demand with TiVo capability out area by area a long time ago.
  • honestaquarian
    @anonymouse Have you contacted either TiVo or Comcast to ask about it?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Seems like TiVo might go Dodo
  • honestaquarian
    I really don't understand why people keep saying that.
    TiVo is doing just fine. One issue with one cable provider and suddenly they're going belly up???
    Makes no sense.
  • honestaquarian
    I've had the opportunity to use the Motorola boxes that some of the cable providers rent out to their customers.
    Two words
    HATED IIIT !!!
    I'm tech savy and I couldn't figure out how to use those bloody things. I have no idea how someone who isn't tech savy can use them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have Comcast cable and TiVo Bolt (I think). Works okay for the little TV I watch. What is Comcast On Demand?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have Comcast cable and TiVo Bolt (I think). Works okay for the little TV I watch. What is Comcast On Demand?

Seriously Bud??
    For an IT type of guy I find this amazing.
    It's shows, movies you can download to watch. Some cost some don't.

On demand is something every cable provider has now a days so you can binge watch a whole season if you wish.

Have you never toggled around in the menus?
  • BlueFox
    No. I don't watch much TV, or play with the cable or TiVo.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    He is too busy buying metal music😉😝
  • BlueFox
    Not really. I buy 2-3 albums most every Friday, and only listen to music on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday night. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Bud, consider signing up for a Tidal subscription. I'd bet that through your Lumin, Tidal would sound better than local files.
  • joecoulson
    I don’t agree
  • BlueFox
    Yes, I seriously doubt a streaming file sounds better than a high-res download from HDTracks, or even a ripped CD.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    I really don't understand why people keep saying that.
    TiVo is doing just fine. One issue with one cable provider and suddenly they're going belly up???
    Makes no sense.

TiVo still has a niche because of OTA cord cutters.

But as the sports and content we have network tv for starts to dwindle, so will their revenue.
    They stopped supporting Hulu, new apps like Disney + are not added, its a matter of time.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes, I seriously doubt a streaming file sounds better than a high-res download from HDTracks, or even a ripped CD.

Well you won't know until you try it.
  • honestaquarian
    edited July 2020
    Tidal HIFI tier streams full CD resolution at 1.4MBPS AND MQA so it WILL sound as good as an HDtracks download or a CD.
    How do I know?
    Because I get Tidal HIFI for free with my Sprint subscription.
    I just wish that Tidal was one of the available apps in my TiVo!
  • msg
    edited July 2020
    I still love my TiVo for TV content, and use Roku Ultras for my streaming needs. I don't mind switching sources. With a universal and macros, or even without, it's not a big deal to hit a button or few.

I'll have my TiVo running until they tell me I can't use it anymore. And after that I'll probably dump cable altogether and still have the TiVo it hooked up because I have a ton of content I haven't even watched yet. It's all movies and TV shows.

I'm not a sports dude, but I can see where DVRs are handy for you guys when whatever game season is on. Maybe the provider boxes have gotten better, but when I got my first TiVo, COX's UI was a maddeningly slow POC. TiVo was way faster, well thought out, and has some neat features.

TiVo may be dwindling, I wouldn't know. If they are it's only because service providers upped their UI game or people haven't had the TiVo experience to know any better.

TiVo fo' life, yo.
    k9twl7u8u2fg.pngv26yt1d48lav.png
    45nmm30s2afm.png

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Tidal HIFI tier streams full CD resolution at 1.4MBPS AND MQA so it WILL sound as good as an HDtracks download or a CD.
    How do I know?
    Because I get Tidal HIFI for free with my Sprint subscription.
    C'mon C - you know you can't say that 'til you've tried both. And it has to be on Bud's system, else you have to say "on my system" :p Bud might be able to tell the difference on his setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    Maybe he can or maybe he cannot.
    Since he hasn't even tried it, how would he or anyone else know for sure??????
    I'm with you on using TiVo unitl I can't anymore.
    ESPECIALLY when you compare the ease of use of a TiVo to what the Cable, Fiber and even Satellite providers are offering.
  • BlueFox
    Full CD resolution is still only 44/16. Now a well recorded CD can sound better than a poorly recorded high res download, just from a technical perspective 44/16 will not sound as good as a 44/24, 48/24, 96/24, 128/24, etc file.

Three 20 amp circuits.