Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Tempting for sure.
    I'm still looking at the LSiM705s/706 for sale. He is down to $1500 or best offer.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    JayMX wrote: »
    Oh this is killing me, just up the road... but I do not need...
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54903266
    They are pin blade and not quite as wide as my SRS2’s. Soooo tempting.
    wsodg97ficpk.jpeg

The seller just offered these to me again, apparently they didn’t get the $800 they thought they would get... super tempted. If I don’t pull the trigger, @daddyjt or @dolbyd I can make arrangements for you if’n you’re interested. Are there any other Utah Polkaholics on here?? I’m having a hard time justifying another pair haha!

Getting them for $600 would be a sweet deal
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Tony M wrote: »
    Prices keep getting better and better the more people go streaming and wireless

Great score on the CRS' by the way!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayMX wrote: »
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Tempting for sure.
    I'm still looking at the LSiM705s/706 for sale. He is down to $1500 or best offer.
    I saw those. Beautiful! 👍🏻👍🏻 But I ain’t got that kind of ca$h.

And now I have less ca$h... 😂 I couldn’t pass them up. I have no self control! And then there’s all of the enablers here... But I got a KILLER deal. I kinda hesitate to say what I paid. I talked them down a bit from the original listing... I will say it was way less than $600 @audioluvr. No interconnect cable, missing stock jumpers, and someone removed the tweeter waveguide flap thingies... They need a little cosmetic love but boy am I stoked! Might have a near perfect pair of 1986 SRS2's for sale soon! Will be fun to A/B them and decide!
    ppfh7g08v7o2.jpeg
    6a52botu9s61.jpeg
    woi6t2z0h6gs.jpeg
    e14iqtxw95fd.jpeg
    meweqv0wlwmb.jpeg

Congratulations on your purchase. I little elbow grease from you will make for a rewarding project.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2019
    Congrats! I would've had to go look at them in person if they were near me also. ;)
    Again...First me, now you...A pin/blade model. Nice! B):p

I also have SRS2's and haven't heard the preference from anybody I don't think as to which is better doing what when and where.

I'll be waiting for your comparison and review results later on for sure.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    And now I have less ca$h... 😂 I couldn’t pass them up. I have no self control! And then there’s all of the enablers here... But I got a KILLER deal. I kinda hesitate to say what I paid. I talked them down a bit from the original listing... I will say it was way less than $600 @audioluvr. No interconnect cable, missing stock jumpers, and someone removed the tweeter waveguide flap thingies... They need a little cosmetic love but boy am I stoked! Might have a near perfect pair of 1986 SRS2's for sale soon! Will be fun to A/B them and decide!

Sweet! Stock interconnect is a POS anyways! Speakon's and Dreadnought baby! Looks like an awesome project! If you can't find anyone local to fab you a copy of the waveguide, send me the one and I'll do it for you.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    tested them out last night and both SL3000's are blown. measure open across the terminals. no continuity.... :( threw in some 2000's to test and the crossovers are working, so i guess a pair of 198's are in my future... :)
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Tony M
    Sorry to hear those tweeters are bad. Looks like the upgrade to 198's will dig deeper into those pockets now or later.

I guess the review will be a little longer in waiting. No problem though. I know the cash is tight right now.

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    Sorry to hear those tweeters are bad. Looks like the upgrade to 198's will dig deeper into those pockets now or later.

I guess the review will be a little longer in waiting. No problem though. I know the cash is tight right now.

I ordered the 198's today. They’re not backoedered like the 194's... Hope to have them fully functional next week. Aesthetics can come later! And the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper... 😂
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Looking forward to watching your rebuild. Any hints about the aesthetics makeover?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited February 2019
    Polk SDA 2.3TLs in Phoenix, AZ, just listed on CL. Great condition and price. Someone on here needs to jump on these asap. If they were anywhere near upstate NY I'd be on my way to get them myself right now. I have been looking for this model for some time. Hope someone on here near Phoenix runs and gets them! No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-SDA-SRS-2-3TL-Vintage-Floor-standing-Speakers-VERY-CLEAN-Incredible/223374652459?hash=item34022ab42b:g:yeoAAOSw6FNcXHia:rk:1:pf:0
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    SDA 1C's in Elgin, Oklahoma, with RD0-194's, sound deadening in the cabinets, spikes and who knows what else. Currently $150 on the bay, but I bet a reserve has not been met. No affiliation, but some one here needs to get these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-1C-USED/283362926525?hash=item41f9bf1fbd:g:nGoAAOSw1T1cVcyl:rk:2:pf:0
  • audioluvr
    "Cow eye tweeters". Gotta get me a pair of them! Sounds like he needs to grow a set and tell the ol' lady how it's going to be! Of course what do I know, I've been divorced 3 times...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Tony M
    pkquat wrote: »
    SDA 1C's in Elgin, Oklahoma, with RD0-194's, sound deadening in the cabinets, spikes and who knows what else. Currently $150 on the bay, but I bet a reserve has not been met. No affiliation, but some one here needs to get these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-SDA-1C-USED/283362926525?hash=item41f9bf1fbd:g:nGoAAOSw1T1cVcyl:rk:2:pf:0

I wonder what "extreme water damage and rotting away" means? I don't see any extreme water damage from the pictures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2019
    pkquat wrote: »

I wonder what "extreme water damage and rotting away" means? I don't see any extreme water damage from the pictures.

IF you re-read, he says the "original boxes"....

" Original boxes came with them when I purchased them. They had extreme water damage. Ended up rotting away over the years. I will NOT ship these."
  • Tony M
    Thank you for clearing that up. ;)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Vintage, but not monitor or SDA:

Check out this HiFi 5.1 Stereo Speakers Polk and Definitive Technologies for $500 on OfferUp https://offerup.co/PUiVad9BaU

No affiliation
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    That's a heck of a deal! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    asktvpi178zn.png
    dbolurvv9rr9.png
    ca5v96xtan83.png
    d39311ovnoco.png
    l8qyfc7u48gr.png
    xqzjl12aina7.png
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Saw these posted for sale in the Valley of the Sun, no affiliation. aqnplwjqy3ew.jpg
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/phoenix-vintage-polk-sda-srs-23tl/6813843593.html
    Sorry, just saw the Ebay posting above.

Price just dropped by $200. Still, a little on the Hi Side.
  • audioluvr
    aqnplwjqy3ew.jpg

Price just dropped by $200. Still, a little on the Hi Side.

Especially with the potted plant stains.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It is a novel idea. Unfortunately I have a feeling they screwed up the sound. You just cant stick the same speakers in box and expect it to sound as good as the system Polk originally engineered.

But this has potential. What is wrong with taking an original monitor series speaker and adding some exterior trim? Might help with the wife acceptance factor.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    delkal wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It is a novel idea. Unfortunately I have a feeling they screwed up the sound. You just cant stick the same speakers in box and expect it to sound as good as the system Polk originally engineered.

But this has potential. What is wrong with taking an original monitor series speaker and adding some exterior trim? Might help with the wife acceptance factor.

agree! The only "Polk" item on that appears to be the passive radiator ….
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited February 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    If speakers are not musical, then what are they good for?

Firewood.

Saw this "F1nut answer" to a question in another thread. It fits!

I wonder if anyone has thought about creating a collection of F1nut FAQ"S. I have laughed many times at some of his answers in older threads. No disrespect to F1 as he is really unique.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Nhpenn
    Nhpenn Posts: 56
    SDA 1, studio?
    Probably no interconnect cable

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63852119
  • Tony M
    NICE! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Starting out cheap huh?. I hope a member from here gets them for a song.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    la2vegas wrote: »
    They're 30 minutes away from me. >:):#

Go get 'em...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson