Need Heating Advice

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
We’re down to Studs in the home theater and bar and I removed two old baseboard electric heaters. I don’t want to reinstall baseboards as they take up too much wall space. I purchased a Cadet 240v wall heater and programmable thermostat, got it installed last night and tried it out.

The good - it’s very small, low profile, and does a good job heating the space.

The bad - it’s loud. Too loud. Think hotel room heater/AC unit constantantly turning on and off. I hate it. Absolutely horrible for a theater room.

We’ve considered replacing our split system AC unit with a heat pump, but it’s expensive (like $4-$5k for a good one with two indoor units). Don’t want to go back to baseboard. Don’t have the room for something that sticks out from the wall more than an inch or two. I’m not finding much... would like something 240v, permanently installed and controlled by the separate wall thermostat. I’m thinking convection is the only thing that would be quiet enough. We do have propane available (near one wall), but most of what I’m finding is 8-10” deep (out from the wall).

Open to ideas. lxjca0h0fsbk.jpeg
ec90lodw4ph5.jpeg
fl6mq4lfe761.jpeg

Comments

• scubalab
    The electrical work is temporary - I know I’m going to get criticized for some of the wiring in the pics. :s The gang box with the two switches is temporary and will be replaced properly.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    We'll, since you don't want to do a heat pump, I suggest trash can fires. Cuts down on your waste to the local landfills and gives your house the sweet aroma of burnt styrofoam.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • scubalab
    I do have some styrofoam from the walls for a fuel source!
  • scubalab
    And, not opposed to the split system heat pump. Just can’t swing that right now. We may have to go temporary (portable heater) for a year or two and then save for the heat pump.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Not much to an electric heater. Basically heating elements, fan, safety switches, and sequencer. The only thing that makes noise is the fan motor, blades, and sheet metal.

I would suggest looking at fan blades, should be directly behind that sheet cover, and see if they’re vibrating. Could simply be a piece of tape on one of the blades.
    If still noisy, with cover removed, and blades appear to be balanced, then look for something different.

Depending on where you live and type of heating/cooling you use, I may have an idea or 3, but would try to figure out if noise is something that can be addressed or just a bad product design.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Radiant Electric Floor Heating?
    Don't know the costs, but it's apparently quite energy efficient. Will just drive your electric bill up...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Looking at that picture again, I would start by adding some bracing to the bottom of that heater and see if that cuts down on the noise.
  • scubalab
    edited February 2019
    The noise is just the air flow noise. Nothing wrong with the fan. I guess considering it’s forced air built into the unit, there’s not much that can be done. It was described to us (before purchasing) as comparable to a running refrigerator.

Radiant floor heat is definitely intriguing! Will have to research pricing. We could postpone carpet installation another couple weeks if we have to!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited February 2019
    What he said...

Not sure if just doing the bar and walkway would be enough heat because I know you’d want carpet on the risers ...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    We’re abandoning the risers (two rows of seating) and going with a big sectional. The theater area will be new carpet over the concrete slab (padding too). The bar will be tile. The theater is 10’ x 20’. The bar is 8.5’ x 10’. The bar sits off too the right (as you look at the screen) all the way in the back of the room (L shaped).
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Al,
    Have you looked at or considered the ceiling mount options? A neighbor of mine has one and it seems to do a good job but not sure how loud they are. A guy in our neighborhood put this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-FSSWH1502-Fsswh1502-Output-120Volt/dp/B008GG7TX6/ref=asc_df_B008GG7TX6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093463189&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5274679828113163451&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007798&hvtargid=pla-321270384155&psc=1

into an addition and says it does great. Again not sure how loud it is.

Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Nothing to add here, except that I like that you've had the foresight to install a trapdoor in the slab. Wine cellar, root cellar, torture chamber... the possibilities are endless.
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Scott - the possibilities ARE endless! >:)
  • scubalab
    edited February 2019
    So, part of what I’m up against... Makes me wonder what else is hiding behind our walls.

This was discovered when we pulled the old drywall. And yes, it is live.

rjx0ishtc9fp.jpeg
  • msg
    Yikes. I think the guy who had my house before me was a self-proclaimed elektrishan. I've probably got stuff like that, too. Maybe not even taped up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    scubalab wrote: »
    So, part of what I’m up against... Makes me wonder what else is hiding behind our walls.

Great! Another place to install a wall heating unit :wink:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

rjx0ishtc9fp.jpeg

Noooooooo!! :s
  • EndersShadow
    It’s like Russian WALL roulette!!
  • scubalab
    Aaaaaand... he’s back!

Missed ya Jesse!

(I knew fan noise would draw you right in :p )
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Something is very wrong here...
  • msg
    Stepford F1nut
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Or...
    qowchpq7ut16.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    OMG! Who is this guy? :smile:
    goxrgfrg30wc.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    Interesting it’s that loud. I have two, one in our basement HT area, and they I can’t hear them at all.

hu2qenj10eqn.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    msg wrote: »
    Stepford F1nut

Indeed, WTH happened to Mr. short and sweet?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    lightman1 wrote: »

rjx0ishtc9fp.jpeg

Noooooooo!! :s

That's a good example of why I stopped DIYing most home improvement. I don't like surprises.

On the original topic of this thread, and FWIW, I love our Mitsubishi "H2i" heat pump thingy. This thing is claimed to be able to operate efficiently down to -12 F. I can vouch for it down to -10. No auxiliary electric heater in it, since it really doesn't need one. It is quiet, competent and very energy efficient, too. We had this installed last summer. So far, I am thrilled with it. In fact, if I had it to do over again, I might used these for the whole house when we had it built.

We're using it as an auxiliary/backup for our propane boiler (and for some A/C in the summer), since our electricity is essentially free (via net metering).

28569962627_289a775290_h.jpgDSC_1842 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

29585856298_44f0ac5bed_h.jpgDSC_1840 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • scubalab
    edited February 2019
    Interesting it’s that loud. I have two, one in our basement HT area, and they I can’t hear them at all.

hu2qenj10eqn.jpeg

Jeremy, that looks like the same one I got (but mine does not have an on-board thermostat). I have another model that’s going back; I may try connecting that one and seeing if it sounds the same. I’m also wondering if once the drywall goes up if it will quiet down. I’ll not too optimistic as the noise is air flow noise. Right now, sitting about 10-15 feet in front of it, it’s very noticeable. It also doesn’t help that the thermostat turns it on for five minutes, then off for 5-10 minutes, then back on, etc.
  • So I just leave mine set to high all the time, but they are wired to a timer, so they’ll switch off on their own if I forget.

I only flip them on if I’m planning to be in the HT.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I don’t know if the finished wall will help.