Manley Labs Factory Tour Video

Dennis Gardner
Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
edited February 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
I found this interesting video from EveAnna taking Michael Fremer on a tour of their Chino, CA. place. An inside look as to why top notch gear demands the investment from buyers. Long video, but worth the time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iunBAzr8GK0
HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Only 10 min in and I love it! Thanks for sharing this.
  • Lots of explanation on how "all things matter" in the world of analog sound reproduction. EveAnna is an old soul and knows how to take things in stride, making the best possible product that we can today, while recognizing that evolution is to be welcomed, not shunned over the lifetime of a product. I like how she supports the servicing of vintage gear by employees on their offtime to strengthen the customer bond that has been built over the years and stand behind that gear!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    I really enjoyed seeing the obviously skilled technicians perfecting their craft on the factory floor.

Would love to be able to purchase this $6k preamp from them someday. Truly a statement piece, in my opinion.

neo3br-f-rc.png?format=1500w

IMG_0221.jpg.db287c0876a62de97e3592fc40883db2.jpg

IMG_4226.JPG.ddb458c2bef53ff085aa2a9bee83a63e.JPG

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    How about this one? A lot less than 6K! "I know a guy..."

omcf7bnhvkzf.jpg

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^You are the guy lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    That one is not as drool worthy :(
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2019
    Hello,

Dennis, thank you for posting that wonderful and informative video. We've wanted to drop by the Manley facility when in the area, but never managed to fit it in our tight schedule.

Two observations, the first is where were the tube amps!?! The second and we hope someone at Polk that matters reads this is the importance of excellent customer service. That means a live person answering the phone who knows the products. The recording stating we're busy now and will call you back IS NOT EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

You'll never lose customers faster than having crappy customer service.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Jesse what’s up with talking in plurals?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That one is not as drool worthy :(

Agreed, but it has the benefit of being in my possession. ;)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    That was a nice tour.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Makes me want a pair of snappers even more. 😍
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Makes me just want to do business with them period.
    - Honesty and transparency about what parts they outsource, plus the why and how of it.
    - Cables matter :) as she discusses having to source exactly the cable they want, even if the original supplier discontinues it.
    - The technician giving priority to a 'parts order' (repair) first, while putting production QC aside temporarily.
    - The time and effort spent on tube matching. When a company puts that much effort into tube matching, it makes you wonder if subsequent tube rolling by the owner/purchaser of a unit does more harm than good.

That's about as far as I got...need to finish watching the rest!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon