Logic DM-101 turntable

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
edited January 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
One of Britain's better efforts, the Logic DM-101 turntable:
bg3mdgg5okb4.jpg
The suspended sub-chassis is 8mm thick by my measurements B) I have a Grace 704 tonearm en route...should be an interesting combo.

P.S. I love the industrial look of this...blemishes and all.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    A little bit of love, polish and elbow grease and you have a gem on your hands. Nice piece of kit there mate. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    What’s the difference between the Grace 704 and a Grace 707? PM me if they are similar, and use the same phono cable Don
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I sent you a PM with photos of the custom made phono cable. Don
  • jdjohn
    I want to report that in the US, the best belt replacement for this turntable is the FBM20.0 from turntableneedles.com https://www.turntableneedles.com/Flat-Belt-Medium-200-Inch_p_239.html The specs for the belt show that it has the greatest thickness, and I can report that the speed is spot-on with this belt. I tried two of their other 20in belts, and the speed was off a bit. The FBM20.0 maintained speed better than the others.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @SCompRacer - any insights here?

Nice looking deck John :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2019
    halo wrote: »
    @SCompRacer - any insights here?

Nice looking deck John :smile:

Nice table! Back in the day, it was cheaper than the Linn LP12 and had a heavier plinth.

The Linn suspension springs had to be messed with quite a bit to get it working right. That is, springs have a starting and ending coil. The orientation of that edge of the spring was important. You had to turn the three suspension springs until the arm board was squared in the opening and the suspension worked properly without binding. I learned that from an old post at Pink Fish Media.

Not sure if the DM-101 was as touchy as I've never had one. I have owned a Linn LP12.

The Linn underwent many, many upgrades in its life that changed the presentation and cost. The DM-101 was only available for few years IIRC.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Jody - are you still enjoying the Clear Audio deck?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited June 2019
    The words logic and turntable do not go together*.
    Just sayin'.

B)

But Mark, the inconvenience and high cost make up for it ;)

Thanks for the input, guys. I enjoyed my first one so much that I got a second one :) This second one came with a dustcover and the stock feet instead of spikes like on the first one. Here it is with another new-to-me toy, a Micro Seiki MA-707 tonearm.
    5a597mcx1nnr.jpg
    So far I've only installed the arm and checked the mechanics...haven't hooked it up yet.

On my first one, I took the Grace 704 arm off and installed a Micro Seiki MA-505 arm (mentioned in another thread).

As usual with suspended chassis, tuning the suspension is essential. You can see in my earlier pics that there are metal rings with rubber grommets in them, and springs on each side. There are three of these, and the long screws on the chassis rest in the grommets. A couple of the springs on my first deck were tired, so I found some suitable replacements at the hardware store; I did have to trim them a bit, and TBH is was kind of a pain, but I like to tinker on such things :)

Joe, I do still have the Clearaudio Concept, but as you can see, these vintage decks (and tonearms) currently have my attention :#
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    jdjohn wrote: »
    So this happened today:
    kfcpu0fjk09t.jpg
    Same turntable (except for feet), same cartridge (AT13EX w/0.2x0.7mm nudie)
    Micro Seiki MA-707 arm on the left, MA-505 on the right
    PS Audio Sprout integrated w/phono-stage and headphones

My idea of fun B)
    This is awesome! So few people get to A/B a tone arm. Fun day indeed.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    So this happened today:
    kfcpu0fjk09t.jpg
    Same turntable (except for feet), same cartridge (AT13EX w/0.2x0.7mm nudie)
    Micro Seiki MA-707 arm on the left, MA-505 on the right
    PS Audio Sprout integrated w/phono-stage and headphones

My idea of fun B)

Did ya spin some Beck?

https://youtu.be/EPfmNxKLDG4
  • jdjohn
    Headphones, Mark...not Microphones :D
  • mhardy6647
    Headphones will work as microphones -- and vice versa.

Learned that as a kid (with inexpensive transducers, thankfully).

• jdjohn
    Well done! B)

And as you probably know, step-up-transformers can be used for microphones and moving coil cartridges.
  • joecoulson
    Headphones, Mark...not Microphones :D

h49cp4h7t91r.jpeg
  • jdjohn
    Oh my...this is getting ugly...
  • joecoulson
    Lol.
    After speaking yesterday, since you fabricated the msg plate for the one tonearm, can one be made to work with the other? Therefore eliminating as many differences between the two decks for the best comparison of just the arms.
  • jdjohn
    Not sure what an msg plate is, other than a dish at a Chinese restaurant :D The two arms had different mounting plates (to cover the SME holes), so I decided to try and make them more comparable.

Here's the 505 arm, which I mounted originally with 7/16" MDF board:
    hwr2alo58ib1.jpg
    And the same 505 arm now with a thin piece of laminate:
    mfb9lxpppq4t.jpg
    I can detect a (very) slight difference in sound between the two materials. I used Audacity and an ADC to record WAV samples. Phono pre-amp for this is a Dynavector P75 MkII.
    MDF sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12JRkRIEBghVCLwA9tD3bkwmGq7SubjrJ
    Laminate sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lD0pIi3Oadr3Vlb7r19turDEMoUgYddx
    Maybe not the best song to use, but I already had it spinning. After listening to the opening of the song, there is also a transition starting near the 2:45 mark that is interesting. IMO not a clear 'winner' here. I find the laminate a little crisper and cleaner overall, albeit a little leaner (yet tighter) in the bass. The MDF provides a fuller sound in the bass, yet perhaps a thin layer of cushion in the mid and treble. YMMV

Of course there can be a whole discussion about armboard/plate mounting materials (i.e., exotic woods, co-polymers, aircraft grade plywood, etc.). But now, at least, I have matching materials for these two arms, so can give them another listen.
  • joecoulson
    So interesting that small of a variance can have such a profound effect. Very cool Jody
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    joecoulson wrote: »
    So interesting that small of a variance can have such a profound effect. Very cool Jody

Very interesting. Question @jdjohn - how did you account (if it matters) for the difference in the MDF vs the laminate adapter plates?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jdjohn
    Hi Verb,

Do you mean the difference in thickness? Both of these tonearms have adjustable height (for setting VTA), so it's just a matter of loosening a set screw (or two), sliding the pillar up or down, and then re-setting the screws.

Does that answer your question?
  • verb
    Hi Verb,

Do you mean the difference in thickness? Both of these tonearms have adjustable height (for setting VTA), so it's just a matter of loosening a set screw (or two), sliding the pillar up or down, and then re-setting the screws.

Does that answer your question?

Yep! Thanks! I was thinking there had to be an adjustable height provision, angle of the stylus, ya know, the engineer in me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jdjohn
    Uh-oh...Verb is getting curious about vinyl :o
  • verb
    Uh-oh...Verb is getting curious about vinyl :o

Dude I already have 2 TT's ! Hooked up my Micro-Seiki for a bit, played with it, but not lately! :smile:
  • jdjohn
    Oh, ok...I didn't see any in your sig. I picked-up another one last Friday, so now up to 17, I think. I really need to purge. It's a shame for them to just sit.
  • verb
    Nothing wrong with a collection my man! :smile: