A simple, stupid question re: single-end shielded, unbalanced 'interconnects'

OK, OK, OK :) I finally finally soldered up a new pair of wires interconnects using some nice Mogami shielded two-conductor cable and REAN Neutrik "RCA" plugs.

This is a beta test -- if I like these (spoiler alert -- so far, I do), I will make up a bunch more so that maybe all y'all won't make as much fun of my dime store cables.

Since the cable is shielded, I decided to go all high-end and solder one end of the shield to the outer connector of one RCA plug, and let the other end float.

So, now I have a pair of directional cables.

Trouble is, I don't know which end to put where!

I figured a quick Googlin' would answer the question -- but the links I found are split. Some say shield connected to the amplifier, some say shield connected to the source.

There seemed to be slightly more that said to connect the shield end to the amplifier, and so I have.

Running 'em now and they're working great (they were actually a pretty pleasant build -- feeling sheepish for having put it off for months!).

Help me out here, please! :)
Thanks!

PS I will share the type designation of the Mogami cable if anyone wants to know -- I just have to go back downstairs and look at the tag! :p

Comments

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    The idea of a shield is that you're draining any noise to a ground. So if you are inducing that noise to ride down that conductor, do you prefer to take it to a point that's firmly held low impedance like an output? Or would you rather drain it to a point along side a high impedance point that's open to receiving something?

Oops....I think I gave away the answer.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Classical electrical current theory suggests that the shield be placed where it currently (poorly placed pun) sits.

I see this is in contrast to the above post...

Doc, I believe you have some 'sperimentin to do... :*
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    jeepers, you guys.

;)

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Well, it *is* a testable hypothesis in either case, isn't it?
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Classical electrical current theory suggests that the shield be placed where it currently (poorly placed pun) sits.

I see this is in contrast to the above post...

Doc, I believe you have some 'sperimentin to do... :*

Splain please? If there is another idea around, I'd like to hear it.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    I fear electricity. I have some nice silver solder if you need it @mhardy6647.
    Just shoot me a PM
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2019
    Try it both directions and see which you like best. FYI I run diy unshielded (venhaus finesilver original recipe) everywhere.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • mhardy6647
    I spent a little quality time seriously listening last night, with the shield at the amplifier (ahem, receiver) end. The overall sound was really and truly excellent (this after I "improved" the positioning of the little ELACs I've been experimenting with).

Maybe a placebo effect, but so what? :)

I ordered more cable and more of the plugs this morning :)

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Do you intend to make more only for your use or for selling to other Polkies? If the latter, I’m interested. Otherwise, would like to know the Mogami type designation and perhaps your source. Thanks.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    No reason to sell 'em; I am just trying to replace the embarrassing hodgepodge of cheap and found wires in my hifi -- it's like a response to a peer pressure thing :)

I used a phenomenally rational and scientific approach to choose the cable: I looked at PartsExpress website and bought the cheapest one. It is a two-conductor mic cable with a shield. Again, it's not an audiophile approved configuration, but is fit for purpose (IMO and now IME). I think I actually sourced the RCA plugs from Markertek, but PE has those too. No big secrets; I just didn't want the folks here who spend more on a power cord than I have invested in my amplifier to snicker*.

https://www.parts-express.com/mogami-w2552-superflexible-microphone-signal-cable-1-ft--103-1016
    https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-rean-nys373-2-rca-plug-connector-black-with-red-indicator--092-113
    https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-rean-nys373-9-rca-plug-connector-black-with-white-indicator--092-115

I am deeply amused that the price of the two plugs is different. :*

I would be a little more careful with choice of cable for a demanding application (e.g., for phonograph cables).

At any rate, after a semi-serious listening last night, I am happy enough with these to have just invested in another run of cable and a bunch more plugs. Bought some other junk,too, while I was at it.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I murdered a couple of those making cable for my 800va dreadnought. They are actually pretty tight in the Pin socket and a nice RCA plug.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited January 2019
    Nice job, Doc!
    Fun and rewarding, huh?
    I'm anti-snickering at you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I be making my own cables last night also...well...I found some that were longer than I liked and stole connectors from one set, cut another set in half and used the stolen ones to finish up. Mogami 2534 used as the cable and Cardas (G?M0 and GRNO) No cost, just some fun soldering.

I terminate the shield on one end only and mark it with either a sharpy or a small sliver of heat shrink. That end goes to the pre. There is absolutely no science involved here ( or not deliberate science involved). In this manner all shields are grounded at the same component.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I terminate the shield on one end only and mark it with either a sharpy or a small sliver of heat shrink. That end goes to the pre. There is absolutely no science involved here ( or not deliberate science involved). In this manner all shields are grounded at the same component.

That seems both rational and rememberable :)