True Detective

Any of you been keeping up with Season 3 so far? It is SOOOOO good! I recently rewatched season 1 (skipped 2) and as great as it is the acting in season 3 blows my mind.

Let me know your thoughts, I have been itching to discuss the case so far.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    hmmm, may be time for me to try Hulu for free. Saw the 1st 2 seasons and the 3rd has good reviews like the first did.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Sometimes Hulu let's you get a free trial of HBO, sometimes not BUT I will say that this show is worth the price of admission. I'm paying just to watch it then will do the same when Game of Thrones comes out. Not sure if it may be better to wait until the Season finishes then sign up to binge. I'm spoiled by Netflix and HATE waiting a week per episode but the suspense is fantastic.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    I am liking season 3 as well. Light-years better than season 2. Yet to see if it can live up to season 1 however. It does have the creepy, mistical vibe like season 1 had though.
  • codycatalist
    reverb wrote: »
    I am liking season 3 as well. Light-years better than season 2. Yet to see if it can live up to season 1 however. It does have the creepy, mistical vibe like season 1 had though.

Indeed it does, after watching season 1 again this past weekend I can see the pacing in season 3 not being as good but I feel the lead actor is light years ahead of McConaughey

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ok so really, season 1 was incredible, I mean beyond any tv show ever for all facets of a crime drama. Season 2 was the exact opposite. So when I saw 3 coming out I was like meh.
    I stopped subscribing to H*O after Game of thrones ended and planned on doing it again mid way through the last season. But you are saying 3 is actually worth a flip?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Maybe I'll give S3 a try buy S2 was the pitts
  • codycatalist
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ok so really, season 1 was incredible, I mean beyond any tv show ever for all facets of a crime drama. Season 2 was the exact opposite. So when I saw 3 coming out I was like meh.
    I stopped subscribing to H*O after Game of thrones ended and planned on doing it again mid way through the last season. But you are saying 3 is actually worth a flip?

Yes BUT if you are going to start up again with GoT it might be better to wait until that comes out so you are double dipping.

S1 - Fantastic
    S2 - Nothing but carp
    S3 - Best acting thus far

The thing with S3 that is a major difference from Season 1 is the characters. Rust was a Genius these guys in S3 are just regular folk (albeit some mental disabilities for the main character).

Would I take the $15 hit once the show is over and I can watch all Episodes on HBO Now or Go...Yes 6 days a week and twice on Sundays. I am back to being fully invested in True Detective, a redemption from Nic Pizzolatto for sure.

• joecoulson
    Fair enough. Will get back on the train in April (I think for GoT?)
    Thank you sir
  • reverb
    I'm not sure what type of award this would be up for but the dude playing Wayne Hays (Mahershala Ali) deserves one.

He is in virtually every second of the series and is turning in a powerhouse acting performance. Can't wait to see how it all ends but so far, good stuff here.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Really enjoying it so far! I'm not quite as impressed at the acting as others, but it is good. I do respect the difficulty of playing up to three characters (1980, 1990, and 2015 versions of themselves). I'm more impressed at the makeup - you truly believe you're watching a 30-something, 40-something, and 70-ish character.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I enjoyed Season 1 a lot, read enough bad things about Season 2 so that I skipped it, and am enjoying Season 3. As others commented, the acting is excellent, as is the makeup.
  • joecoulson
    One episode in
    So far so good
  • reverb
    I'm thinking that there is a connection between season 1 and season 3 - the dolls, pedophiles rings, prominent people protected on high ect.

Guess we are about to find out!

• joecoulson
    I was think that too.
  • Just finished the season. Thoroughly enjoyed it all.

• reverb
    reverb wrote: »
    I'm thinking that there is a connection between season 1 and season 3 - the dolls, pedophiles rings, prominent people protected on high ect.

Guess we are about to find out!

Well, the connection to season 1 was a Red Herring but season 3 was very, very good. Look forward to season 4.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Based on everyone’s input, I tuned in to this tonight …
    Caught the first 3 episodes of S1, and it definitely got my interest
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    Season one was fantastic. Season two got lousy reviews so I skipped it. Currently watching Season three - seems promising.