Best speakers.......for the room

2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Measuring a REW is fine, but I believe your issue won’t be solved unless you can change your listening location or add bass traps.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Or if you have a sub that room corrects.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2019
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Measuring a REW is fine, but I believe your issue won’t be solved unless you can change your listening location or add bass traps.

Repositioning the speakers has already benefited the sound quality. Using a mic a REW will provide me with the data I need to contact GIK and apply some room treatments.

I will also try the sub on the other side and see what happens.

Changing my seating position isn’t possible.

Thanks for your input Joey, I do appreciate it.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2019
    If your main issue is bass, you will need to correct the forward and rear walls to diminish the effect of modes. That would mean significant absorption infront and inrear walls.

Especially in a setting where you can’t move seats.

I believe the best spot to place a speaker and a seat is approx 1/5 of the room from the front and back wall for either spots. This handles modes more ideally and you can tweak from there.

If you’re butt up against the rear wall, it will never be corrected no matter where u move the speakers (within reason) unless you start employing sufficient bass absorption.
  • halo
    Joey_V wrote: »
    If your main issue is bass, you will need to correct the forward and rear walls to diminish the effect of modes. That would mean significant absorption infront and inrear walls.

Especially in a setting where you can’t move seats.

I believe the best spot to place a speaker and a seat is approx 1/5 of the room from the front and back wall for either spots. This handles modes more ideally and you can tweak from there.

If you’re butt up against the rear wall, it will never be corrected no matter where u move the speakers (within reason) unless you start employing sufficient bass absorption.

Thanks Joey.

No, I’m not up against the rear wall. More of a near field(ish) listening position.

The floor plan in our apartment is open with a wall that separates the bedroom from the living room but the wall is not complete. There is open space between the top of the “wall” and the loft ceiling. Also, on both sides of the wall are pass through areas, like a doorway, but they have no doors and the opening goes all the way up to the ceiling.

So, placing traps on the rear walls means they will be in the bedroom. Not sure there is space for that in the bedroom but I’ll try to use some online software to do a birds eye view of the floor plan. Probably a good idea to do this and submit it to GIK for consultation as well.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2019
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You can also corner load the speakers themselves

You know -- when I was a hifi kid, I'd have recoiled at that idea (Klipsch was out in the mid/late 1970s in the hifi mainstream). Nowadays, I am - at least in this one little arena - a bit more open minded. :p

Sorry! I realize that adds virtually nothing to the discussion, but I felt moved to say it!

I guess the take-home lesson; ya cannot beat empiricism when it comes to loudspeaker placement :) I just have a tendency to be too darned lazy for some of the more aggressive repositioning experiments :|

And I do realize that for @halo, lugging loudspeakers around probably isn't the cakewalk that it is for some/many of us :(

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    halo wrote: »
    I don't think that either of our wives would be ok with that :#

After all these years, we have a great relationship. I place it, she claims it. :D

6of69vz7uyq8.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2019
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    I don't think that either of our wives would be ok with that :#

After all these years, we have a great relationship. I place it, she claims it. :D

6of69vz7uyq8.jpg

ahh, the no unoccupied horizontal surface ploy. We get that at my house, too.
    In fact, sometimes I'll take a condiment or something out of the fridge to use it in the kitchen, and when I go to put it back in the fridge, the spot it occupied has something else occupying it.
    :|

Sort of like the Simon & Garfunkel song Cecilia. Sort of.

EDIT: PS The ceramic frog just pulls it all together. :)

• halo
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

You know -- when I was a hifi kid, I'd have recoiled at that idea (Klipsch was out in the mid/late 1970s in the hifi mainstream). Nowadays, I am - at least in this one little arena - a bit more open minded. :p

Sorry! I realize that adds virtually nothing to the discussion, but I felt moved to say it!

I guess the take-home lesson; ya cannot beat empiricism when it comes to loudspeaker placement :) I just have a tendency to be too darned lazy for some of the more aggressive repositioning experiments :|

And I do realize that for @halo, lugging loudspeakers around probably isn't the cakewalk that it is for some/many of us :(

lol! Yes, indeed, not a cakewalk but entirely doable with the bookshelf speakers compared to the floorstanding speakers (re: Ushers).

So, I moved the left speaker to the left and moved the sub to the right of the left speaker. Now the sub is "in between" the main L & R speakers. I swapped out the KEF speakers last night for the Polk Signature S15's and last night they sounded a little harsh and less realistic than the KEF speakers. After moving the sub this morning/early afternoon, the Polk speakers don't seem to be as harsh as they did last night. Also, I moved the bookshelf speakers closer to the front wall, about an inch or two at a time until the bass response from just the speakers improved. Then I turned on the sub and now everything sounds more balanced than it did before.

My listening position is exactly at the equilateral triangle suggested by most speaker manufacturers. I also have the speakers toed in and the center image is really focused but the sound extends well beyond the boxes of the speakers (wide soundstage/wall of sound). Lastly, I grabbed some of my wife's yoga blocks and placed them under the speaker stands in order to elevate them. The stands, by themselves, are 32" high. My ears are 49.5" from the ground while seated in my wheelchair so two 4" yoga blocks under the stands + the 12" high speakers puts them at ~ 50" which is the first time I've had the tweeters/high frequency emitting panels level with my ears since I owned the InnerSound Eros.

Basically, it all comes together to be a much better sounding setup to me but there is still room for improvement. The improvement needed/wanted is now to a lesser degree than it was before so I'll call that progress :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Isnt it amazing and frustrating what that small difference on placement does!?? It can be so frustrating to get them in the spot where they like in the room
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That's why I have adjustable chairs in my listening room. Even a 1/2" can make a difference

Wish you much success on zero'ing in
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That's why I have adjustable chairs in my listening room. Even a 1/2" can make a difference

Wish you much success on zero'ing in

Also Halen has the Usher RWS-729 adjustable speaker stands for his CP777,s, which I think is an ideal concept for audiophiles who flip bookies

https://www.google.com/search?q=usher+rws-729+speaker+stands&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu2r2Vnv3fAhUBZawKHVdOAtEQ_AUoAnoECBMQAg&biw=1024&bih=657&dpr=2
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Even a 1/2" can make a difference

Quoting your Proctologist again ? :)

Ya know, maybe the proper question is, what's the right room for the speakers ? Just thinking outside the box.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Love the concept of the Usher RWS-729 stands. Now i have something else to look for!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.