Iec 6DJ8 vs? Is this a Mullard?

erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,288
edited January 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
2zmhnd97d37f.jpg
Is this a Mullard? Great Britain made.

Anyone know how this tube is against a sylvania 6922 ?
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• erniejade
    s6ae27sqlvhc.jpg

6922 pic
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Also is this realistic the same as the IEC 6dj8? Looks the same to me. 75atya1px5wj.jpg
  • erniejade
    Here is the story. I have a grant fidelity tube dac 11. It has a nice sylvania 6922 in it but. I have a few 6DJ8 tubes in my small stash to roll. Are the IEC and the Realistic the same tube and are they actually Mullard? If they are the same, before i install the tube dac 11, witch tube would you prefer and why?

Yes i know i can just keep going between them but, once it's in place, it's not that easy getting it back out to swap so, i would like some opinions please.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I don't know a lot about 6DJ8's and their construction since I don't have gear that uses them.

IEC were mostly rebranded Mullards in the 12Axx family, but really they could be anything. Do you know for sure Mullard even made their own 6DJ8/6922? And just didn't relabel someone else's.

I don't recall w/o doing some research if this was the case.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • erniejade
    I need to google it. When I got them a while ago. I was told they were Mullard but i do not know for sure so i thought i would ask.
  • heiney9
    Mullards should typically have etched codes too.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    It appears they did, here are some photo's and you can see part of the codes.

http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/v/6DJ8/?g2_page=6

I also had a look at Tubeworld and he lists Mullards as well.

H9
  • heiney9
    Top line of etched code is GAx with x being the change number.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    erniejade wrote: »
    Yes i know i can just keep going between them but, once it's in place, it's not that easy getting it back out to swap so, i would like some opinions please.

Ship them to me and I'll let you know how they sound versus Amperex 7308's! B)

Probably picking up AXPONA tickets this weekend. It will be here before you know it. Hope to see you and your wife again!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • erniejade
    I already got a 3 day pass for me. Brig wants to go but shes not positive if its her Saturday to work. If it is, she can join us for dinner since we work 7 minutes away.
  • erniejade
    It seems like both are mullard from the ,60's from what i can tell. I think i will try the realistic gold pin version first in the tube dac.