Totem Rainmaker (the guts)

Options
joecoulson
joecoulson Posts: 4,943
I’ve had these speakers probably almost 15 years now, they are fantastic I just don’t have them set up currently. I might get them set up so that folks can listen to them at our upcoming get together
I was in the mood for messing with things, I decided to open these up and have a look around. Here are some shots of the construction and drivers and crossover of this fantastic bookshelf speaker fw3wucjza2kq.jpeg
l0fbuwdme96w.jpeg
0pra33g2cdnm.jpeg
5e423rl6k2d5.jpeg
h7h3597jjn46.jpeg
7hzdk9k12d1r.jpeg
mlh5ok3ylf8s.jpeg

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Cool Joe. Interesting (looks like a seal?) on the backside of the tweeters.

Are the MW cages diecast metal? Or plastic?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Had Rainmakers here for a while. Sweet bookies for sure. Never opened em up, but was impressed with the build quality and of course, their sound.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Impressive engineering and build quality.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2019
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Cool Joe. Interesting (looks like a seal?) on the backside of the tweeters.
    It's basically a mini enclosure. The pole piece in the magnet structure behind the dome is vented to the rear and is damped by the little piece of foam you can see sticking out. Having the rear wave of the tweeter dome venting into this extra air space lowers it's natural resonant frequency. This aids in the design of the crossover.
    Also the little plastic cup isolates the tweeters dome from the strong pressure produced in the enclosure by the rear wave of the woofer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    The basket is polymer.

That crossover is really nice.

The imaging that these things produces rivals speakers triple or more in cost.

Wish I had room to set them up. Would love to try a Primaluna with them.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Totem and RBH, the ONLY two manufacturers the wife gave nearly instant approval to buy; she said nothing else sounded like a big enough improvement over what we already have. Cool to see them inside, thanks for the share!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Options
    Nice nudes. Thanks for sharing
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I heard from a Pawn shop guy who had a 5.1 set for sale that the RBH set was AMAZING. But I couldn't audition it and it was like 200.00 then...at a Pawn shop!.

Years later I get a RBH little dual 8" sub and man...the little thing kicks butt and hits hard and is very musical.

I haven't heard the speakers yet. :# But I've only read and heard that they are very nice!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    We listened to these little guys at the GA Meet at Joe's house, and they were quite impressive! Of course I can't help but start singing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iZlw6MllM
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon