Fishing wire

Ordered a s30 to go with the s15 I have been talking about in a new soeaker thread. New s15's are being kept and now going to be wallmounted. Looking for any tips on fishing the cable from about 8 feet high down wall and into basement. I have fish tape and am trying to have smallest hole possible for wire to speaker. I can fish from basement up but wasn't sure if anyone had any tips on how to get the fish line curved into 1/2in hole in wall or if I could grab the fish line with something. Or if it would be easier to put the fish line through the hole in the wall and then try to fish around through the basement floor with a magnet or something just looking for some ideas.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Easier to go behind wall and pull tape out.

Drill about 1/4 inch hole, allow room to easily feed wire. Best to get second person to listen to see if your in correct spot, even after measuring.

Cut a hole in sheetrock, about the size of a quarter. I usually use one of those pick up tools with the four prongs at one end to grab the fish tape, and work it slowly up/down with a pair of needle nose pliers until I can pull it out of the hole.

Attach wire to fish tape and pull it back out very carefully.

The larger the hole, the easier it is. I use this technique when I relocate a thermostat. No sheetrock repair involved. Never really had any luck with the magnetic tool. I also cut that curly end off the fish tape and overlap the wire about 6 inches over the fishtape. I use electric tape, and go about 2 inches past the overlapped fishtape and wire.

Maybe somebody will have a better method, but this usually works for me. Can get frustrating at times.
  • Ok I was thinking it would be easier to go from top wall hole to basement. Will see how others have had luck and maybe end up trying both ways
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2019
    I’ve had the best luck with fish rods. I’ve used fish tapes many times but with the flexibility with the tape it can be difficult.

Check out Home Depot for the rods.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jameson-3-16-in-x-10-1-2-ft-Fiberglass-Glow-Fish-Rod-Kit-7S-718T/303890134
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Ok I will see if I can find one I can rent or borrow if I can’t get it with the tape
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    May not be as easy as you think. Is it an outside wall or inside wall ? Difference being the outside wall will have insulation between the boards to work through. Also, you can run into cross braces between the boards on an inside wall....and outside wall too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Both inside walls. One is I assume loadbearing it's the main wall of living room. Second is a half wall 8 or 9 feet tall with a large shelf or platform above it.
  • I'm kind of stuck atm not sure if I want to mount them flat on wall with keyhole mount on speaker or use the brackets I bought which would require me to screw into the speaker itself. If left mounted keyhole I can mount maximum 3 feet on each side of center so about 7 feet between the two this puts the left speaker directly in front of left side of couch pointed at me. then I have a hallway and I was going to mount on the other side of the hallway. This would put the left and right about 12 feet apart and viewing is 11 feet away from tv. This way speakers could be toe'd in and be on the left and right of couch vs pointing straight towards center of couch.
  • tonyb
    A load bearing wall will definitely have cross bracing in it.

Maybe post a pic of what you have to work with in that room, and what you hope to accomplish.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • e1edwng75mgq.jpg
    h848kr5567t0.jpg
    l6epxeuyvw2v.jpg center of couch
    0b70wfilpe1i.jpg
    m2lmv7d1x2jf.jpg
    4x3isl9mmg3l.jpg

On the left of tv speaker can go on wall next to tv or on the left wall where the ref light and net are hanging.

On the right anywhere on that wall. I have a piece of blue tape way on the right next to octopus that is equal distance if left is mounted on net wall
  • There are a lot of ifs here , but it just might work..

You might want to try 30 or 40 lb fishing line and a 1 oz bank sinker. Drill a hole big enough for the sinker to fit in and drop it down behind the wall. That should tell you if you have a straight shot down. If you do have a straight shot and a relatively narrow cavity you are working in you might be able to drill a hole in the basement large enough for a reduced sized shop-vac hose to fit in. Then tie a plastic grocery bag to a length of fishing line, stuff it in the top hole, fire up the shop vac and suck the bag into it, then tape the speaker wire to the fishing line and slowly pull it through.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • That's a good idea. I have always done foshline with washer and a magnet on a chop stick to catch it. Always a pain in the butt. I will try this once I have placement figured out.

Anyone have thoughts if I should just mount them 3 feet left and right off center speaker or way left and right 6 feet off center. If I don't use brackets I won't be able to tilt down and inwards.
  • tonyb
    I'm confused.....why does the speaker wire have to go to the basement when your gear is right there ?

Personally, I'd just put them on stands and not even bother with the wall brackets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Wife doesn't want cords. And would prefer them mounted up high pointed down if possible
  • tdmoon
    tdmoon Posts: 4
    A long flex bit would be easiest. Install a cut in box, drill down behind the wall and let the bit hang partway down. Attach cable to bit then go down in the basement and pull it through. That's how we run cabling.