Dug out the SX-780...

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2019
    verb wrote: »
    OMG! Professor does have an 8-track player! Don’t get me started, again! :smile:

but of course!
    Why, do you need some eight tracks, too?
    Careful what you wish for...

B)

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2019
    I'd say 99% of the 8tracks have been in the landfills for 30 years now. :s

When I used to see them at yard sales or Goodwill, they were ragged out. I think the glue they used to paste the labels on ate the paper over time.

I'm going to check eBay for them now.
    LOL...There's a bunch on the Bay for sure. Pretty cheap too. :D
    25.00 for all this... ;) some good albums in here too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ross-8-Track-Player-Model-6076-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-WORKS-GREAT/113513022893?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=3b1e2c8e40cb486db19e8030578db580&pid=100008&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=292907054339&itm=113513022893&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219
    1bf276ty16a1.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I had an SX-780 for awhile in the late 80's. Not a vintage receiver guy, it never really impressed me all that much. It did its job, hooked up to a pair of 5B's and a Kenwood turntable and Nakamichi tape deck.

Glad some of you guys can reminisce, I just don't have the same feelings for vintage gear (and it's sound) beyond the remembrances of the times I was in when I owned them as some of you guys.

Rock on

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    man, we've (I've) seriously hijacked the SX-780 thread! :(

Tell you what, gonna start an eight-track thread anon.
    Gimme a bit...

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I should have photographed my Pioneer 8-track player, MINT. Might do that tonight.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tony M
    edited January 2019
    Weren't 8-track decks in vogue during that SX-780s time? It would be cool to reminisce with that era system again. I remember well my 8 track years. Mostly auto related experiences. I couldn't afford the SX-780 or any other Pioneer home receiver for that matter.

But other friends' parents had them and I did have one friend who had the top of the line everything and 400 LPs also. He was a true spoiled brat who got everything he wanted and he still lived at home and I think he was past 25 years old. I was 17. But he WAS an ok dude for the most part. I moved away 6 months after meeting him...so I wonder what ever happened to him and his music and stereo passions. I wonder if he and a girl I introduced him to stayed together? Maybe... :D
  • I MUCH PREFER my cassette tapes played on a Nakamichi.
    8-track had such potential and it was just ruined.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2019
    The SX-780 was 1978-1980, 8 tracks were pretty much fizzling out in favor of Cassette decks, and of course everyone had a turntable as well. At the time I had the 780 I was running Pioneer HPM-40 speakers, Pioneer CT-F500 cassette deck, and a Pioneer PL-512 turntable.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz wrote: »
    The SX-780 was 1978-1980, 8 tracks were pretty much fizzling out in favor of Cassette decks, and of course everyone had a turntable as well. At the time I had the 780 I was running Pioneer HPM-40 speakers, Pioneer CT-F500 cassette deck, and a Pioneer PL-512 turntable.

True dat
    Plus 8-track didn't have any noise reduction (I KNOW those are potentially blasphemous words to some purists, but then again those same purists would cringe :# at the mention of 8-track tape! )
  • Tony M
    My 8 track days were around from 75 to 77 I guess. :) I too was getting into cassettes a year or two later.

Then the Columbia house album / cassette club helped me get a nice collection going on. That was fun.

I still have all my purchases too. :p I just looked at an old Kansas record the other night I got from them. Still shiny and pristine cond.

I had my nice new Fischer system then. I wish it was a Pioneer but I bought it through the company I worked for on credit.
  • mhardy6647
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I should have photographed my Pioneer 8-track player, MINT. Might do that tonight.

Yeah, but then I'd start goin' on about -- I dunno -- Elcasets or somethin'. ;)

Seriously, though --- by all means, share a photo or two or three of it. Pioneer made some very respectable 8-track decks (even some of the ones branded "Centrex", their 'component hifi' brand name).
  • steveinaz
    I think mine is the Pioneer HR100...I'll have to dig it out tonight. It still has the protective plastic on the tape door. I don't think it's ever been used.
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    Weren't 8-track decks in vogue during that SX-780s time? It would be cool to reminisce with that era system again. I remember well my 8 track years. Mostly auto related experiences. I couldn't afford the SX-780 or any other Pioneer home receiver for that matter.

But other friends' parents had them and I did have one friend who had the top of the line everything and 400 LPs also. He was a true spoiled brat who got everything he wanted and he still lived at home and I think he was past 25 years old. I was 17. But he WAS an ok dude for the most part. I moved away 6 months after meeting him...so I wonder what ever happened to him and his music and stereo passions. I wonder if he and a girl I introduced him to stayed together? Maybe... :D

8-tracks were more early 1970s. Quad (not the electrostatic loudspeaker folks -- quadraphonic hifi!) and 8-tracks went hand in hand. Quad 8-track tape players were (as I recall) the first discrete 4-ch format marketed (strictly) for home use, ca. 1972.

11566563734_a6fc199af2_b.jpgscan0002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I don't know about you, but I always enjoy a track change in the middle of a song.
    ker-chunk

:)
  • steveinaz
    Tony M wrote: »
    I had my nice new Fischer system then. I wish it was a Pioneer but I bought it through the company I worked for on credit.

My first "toes in the water" of audio came from the purchase of a Fischer combo unit (turntable/am/fm tuner) with nice Fischer speakers. A neighbor sold it to me for $50. It was pretty old when I got it way back in the early 70's. Sounded great though.

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    KSHE-95
    Real Rock Radio
    [
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2019
    Hell yeah. Oldest rock and roll radio station in the U.S. Began Feb of 1961.
    https://www.kshe95.com/
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    I spent my childhood listening from across the river. Friday nights at 11:45p Boz Scaggs "Lone Me a Dime" would start. I knew I had 15 mins to get home to beat curfew.
    [
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    I had and SX-780 and an SX-880, man I could stay hours looking at the Vu meters of the 880... although I think the 780 sounded better.

Then got went over a few Marantz the 2270 and 1060, may not be the last word as far as high fidelity but they sound really sweet... there's something nice to it.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Had an SX-680 and a Pioneer turntable in my very first stereo back in '79. Love the look. Brings back memories. Wish I would have kept it.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Oh wait I see it on the meters in the close up pic. 50 wpc

For some reason was thinking it was actually rated at 45W/Channel, we own one of those, but could be wrong.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    K_M wrote: »
    Oh wait I see it on the meters in the close up pic. 50 wpc

For some reason was thinking it was actually rated at 45W/Channel, we own one of those, but could be wrong.

You are correct, in terms of the nominal power output (per "FTC '74" and Pioneer's specification), as mentioned earlier in the thread.

The difference between 45 and 50 watts is negligible; a fraction of a decibel.
    (0.5 dB, if I did the arithmetic correctly)

sogbpt59kisl.png
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Nice looking unit. Don;t know what it is about those balance pots. I have the 880 and it took several attempts to get the static out of it. Good luck on the freshen-up!