RDO-198 Crossover Components - Inductor wire size vs resistance .. Help a Dummy

Happy New Year Everyone

I am building a cross over as per the attached schematic and the parts purchased are as follows

parts listed Parts bought
Cap 12 uf (Mylar) ClarityCap Capacitor 12uF 630Vdc CSA Series
Cap 27 uf Jantzen Audio 27uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor
Cap 8 uf Dayton Audio PMPC-8.2 8.2uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor
Resistor 2.7 Ohm Mundorf Resistor 2R7 Ohm 10W MR10 Serie
Inductor 0.22 #22awg Dayton Audio 0.22mH 18 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor
Inductor 1.75 mH #18awg Jantzen Audio 1.75mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor

The new 18 awg will have less resistance for the 0.22 inductor while the 20awg will have more for the 1.75 inductor .

Does anyone know what kind of negative impact this will have on the build ?
M4 - Series 2 - Xover Upgrade - Portable Rig - TP3116 - LiPO4 @ 24V
M7 - Upgraded to RD0-198 Clarity Caps - NAD 7155 one channel per driver @4 ohm
RT55i - Cherry NAD D3020
RT35i - TP-3316

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It would be better to have less resistance for the LP, so having more could have a negative impact.

Why are you using 3 different brands of capacitors, each which their own sound signature? Makes no sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    F1nut wrote: »

Why are you using 3 different brands of capacitors, each which their own sound signature? Makes no sense.

Pfft, they all sound the same. Just like amps and cables.... B)

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The wire gauge affects many things. It's chosen for a reason. Your best bet, is to special order Jantzens from HiFi Collective: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/inductors/jantzen-air-core-wire-coils.html
    Parts Express used to special order from Jantzen, but no longer.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sure did. Ended up getting a 1.8 from Solen here in Canada. Pretty close & wire thikness as specified. SpeAkers really sound amazing ..thank you for everything westmasguy . If I could do it over again I would not hesitate to have you do the x overs. Would have been chepaer and less stressful. Ended up with an entire upgraded rto 194 network with two new tweeters. And a x network that would not fit in the speakers . As you said ..good luck
    At the end I am really happy with these ...hearing music for hours
    I'm no audiophile. However..... I did not know anything at the beginning of this journey..now.. I know... I know nothing.

Cheers!

RT55i - Cherry NAD D3020
    RT35i - TP-3316
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    wasagatony wrote: »
    Sure did. Ended up getting a 1.8 from Solen here in Canada. Pretty close & wire thikness as specified. SpeAkers really sound amazing ..thank you for everything westmasguy . If I could do it over again I would not hesitate to have you do the x overs. Would have been chepaer and less stressful. Ended up with an entire upgraded rto 194 network with two new tweeters. And a x network that would not fit in the speakers . As you said ..good luck
    At the end I am really happy with these ...hearing music for hours
    I'm no audiophile. However..... I did not know anything at the beginning of this journey..now.. I know... I know nothing.

Cheers!

Can you elaborate a little on the bold print above? Did you use the RD-0198 ? Since your speakers according to the PDF you provided came with the SL2500 that would of been correct.

• The original x-overs that came with the speakers were for an SL-2000 and I upgraded to RT0-194 with new caps but was not happy with them.
    So i bought the parts listed above and two new RTO-198's . I did not want to butcher the original cross over any more than what I had done for the 194 upgrade, so I removed them from the speaker and covered the binding post basket hole ensuring no leaks and wired the new RDO-198 tweeter and MW-6502 driver with individual wires to a cross over box (Just a cheap box. call it the trial x-over box ) I ran my 2 channel Nad 316bee amp to the x-over box and then 4 wires to each of the speakers . I did it this way just in case I had to tweak things . as it turned out I'm glad I did . Once I changed the jantzen inductor for the right value Solen .Voila ! . I like them so much that I just want to enjoy them for now. Maybe Ill put the x-overs inside one day and I might even do the veneer. But its winter and my garage is cold .. Right now just looking to see if I can get my hands on two new MW-6502 drivers but as I mentioned on another post .. no longer available through polk

So now I have 2 sl2000 tweeters, two rdo-194 tweeters and two cross overs with binding post baskets new caps and resistors left over.... this Polk Monitor obsession can get a dummy like me looking for another pair of M7's..

Hope that answers
    RT55i - Cherry NAD D3020
    RT35i - TP-3316