Mary Poppins Returns

We decided to go see thks movie while on vacation. It was very, very good! I enjoyed it greatly, as did the rest of my family. It also has a great sound track, which I've listened to 3 times since last week (saying a lot, because I've gotten to listen to music 5 times.)

I was not expecting much at all, but I had a really good time. I do recommend that if you go to see it, make sure you are in a theater that has good sound.

Anyone else seen this movie and have any thoughts on it?
Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk

Comments

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,396
    Saw the trailer, but have not gone to movie yet.
    My biggest worry is that it looked like a lot of CGI. Is there an unusual amount, and is it rendered somewhat realistically?

I know most modern movies use some, but just wanted to find out first.
    Several movies are ruined for me, with loads of CGI, that often is very obvious.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,632
    There is CGI in some scenes, but only where things actually shouldn't look real and are better that way. It is all done well when it is needed. :)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The original, it will be remembered, blended live action and cartoon characters in some scenes. CGI isn't so outrageous in that context, I'd opine.

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

Great point...!!
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,326
    edited January 12
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Wait...you mean those weren't LIVE ACTION cartoon characters?!?!

Nope.....And I also learned a long time ago that an umbrella is incapable of flight.

You have no idea how disappointed my parents were that I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

You needed a longer take off
    lol
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,325
    The original, it will be remembered, blended live action and cartoon characters in some scenes. CGI isn't so outrageous in that context, I'd opine.

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

And that is also why it took so long for there to be a sequel. Pamela Tavers was horrified by what old Walt did to her characters in that movie, and the cartoons were the last straw.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,993
    edited January 12

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

And that is also why it took so long for there to be a sequel. Pamela Tavers was horrified by what old Walt did to her characters in that movie, and the cartoons were the last straw.
    ain't it the truth?!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-did-pl-travers-the-prickly-author-of-mary-poppins-really-fare-against-walt-disney-180949052/
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,696
    I don't know where I'm most disappointed:
    That the deer and butterflies weren't real (I still think they were) or that Ms. Travers was a cranky lady.

I'm just going to have to go watch my Star Wars documentaries,
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,633
    How bout something "new" instead of my generations burnouts that lack originality?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    How bout something "new" instead of my generations burnouts that lack originality?

I get truly sick of the onslaught of "Superhero" action movie series.
    I know they make a lot of money, but they tend to play mostly to a select type of person.
    Where are the "Great" movies, that were just movies?
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,326
    Hollywood doesn't have anyone with original ideas. Those ideas cost money to come to fruition and cookie cutter for simpletons is where its at.
    Hollywood is just marking time unless China takes over the movie industry completely.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Shifting to Plan B+
    Hollywood is just marking time unless China takes over the movie industry completely.

unless or until?
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,004
    The "PC" culture has stifled original thinking and the creative process; that's why we get nothing but remakes of a remake of a remake. How many batmans now? What are we on, Star Wars part 47?
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,794
    Saw the first 30-40 minutes of this movie over Christmas break. At about the 30 minute mark, the sound system started to fail in the theater (Horribly loud static & crackling from the side surround speakers, then from the rear speakers, and then from the front). After about 10 minutes of random static, a theater employee (out of breath) comes into the theater and informs us that they were having problems. I asked her if the amplifiers were failing, and somewhat surprised, she said yes. Then we smelled the burnt ozone odor... definitely a sound system failure!

What we saw was very good. Instead of waiting another hour for the next showing in another theater, we opted to see Welcome to Marwen instead (starting in just 5 minutes), so we still have yet to see the whole movie.

Regarding the trend in movies lately, both my daughters are so fed up with the remakes and reboots. To quote them, they constantly ask where are the original ideas anymore?
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,251
    scubalab wrote: »
    Regarding the trend in movies lately, both my daughters are so fed up with the remakes and reboots. To quote them, they constantly ask where are the original ideas anymore?
    Hopefully you scolded them for their poor grammar.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,405
    She was in Star Wars as well just played by Carrie Fisher.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
    As best I can understand it, Asia (primarily China) is where the real money is to be made in the entertainment business currently, so China's taste in Western (American) movies is fundamentally determining the industry's product.

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,882
    As best I can understand it, Asia (primarily China) is where the real money is to be made in the entertainment business currently, so China's taste in Western (American) movies is fundamentally determining the industry's product.

Yes there was a good piece on npr the other day that discussed how even Crazy Rich Asians didn’t fair well in Asia because, well, they have their own dramodies that are very successful. And drama and comedy and plot and dialogue driven movies in general as very culturally specific. Whereas huge CGI fests like transformations and aqua man are based more in the action and special effects and those so VERY well aboard. And since there is way more money to be made in Asia, studios are catering to that audience...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch

unless or until?

Oooops ! I meant "Until". B)

MrBigBlueLight
    Shifting to Plan B+