Denon 1650AR how would it stack up?

Options
Hi Still **** around with players How would a Denon 1650ar stack up against newer players such as Marantz SA 8005, NAD 565 and so on sound wise? Before anyone says it (technology, most overused word other then community) I know DAs are different/better?? and so on but because it is newer does not make it sound better.
I had a 1650 ar from 2001 to 2009 and then sold it I brought a bunch of players in including the CA 840 and several of us thought the Denon was better. More harmonically rich not to mention built like a tank. Ended up with a Sony XA 777ES then a Rega Apollo for awhile In hind site not sure they were really more musically satisfying. I suspect the 8005 is the closest thing Thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Let's be honest here, you have ran through a TON of nice gear here and seem to be on a continual unsatisfied journey. If you have already had this player and sold it then you should know how it would stack up against those players.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Gee wanted ask the question here instead of Agon and I get semi lit up? That was 8 years ago and the system /speakers/cables are different or different versions I do not throw cheese wiz at the wall. I have always had things right next to each other to compare so there is no guessing . Did the same thing when I worked in the audio bizz Wanted to know for sure and not guess. Problem is always under pressure money wise to get comparisons done quickly and move on.
    Did settle on the Parasound Halo integrated with AP oval 9 single runs to Mirage OM5s and Technics 5350 TT I am getting there at least for now I should point out the more I listen to the 8005 the more I like it.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Gee wanted ask the question here instead of Agon and I get semi lit up? That was 8 years ago and the system /speakers/cables are different or different versions I do not throw cheese wiz at the wall. I have always had things right next to each other to compare so there is no guessing . Did the same thing when I worked in the audio bizz Wanted to know for sure and not guess. Problem is always under pressure money wise to get comparisons done quickly and move on.
    Did settle on the Parasound Halo integrated with AP oval 9 single runs to Mirage OM5s and Technics 5350 TT I am getting there at least for now I should point out the more I listen to the 8005 the more I like it.

Off topic but what do you think of the Parasound, did you get the HINT6?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Options
    I have the 2.1 I got a demo and tried it but thought the gear I had at the time had a taller stage and also panicked over the money even thought it was at cost. I got it back i couple of months agu and realized that it had more depth and is very neutral you has some meat on the bones and is musical plus it does everything even though i know little about streaming and using internal DAVS for that. This thing probably has more reviews out there then any integrated in while Check them out.

On the subject of disc players threw my old Sony CDP 9ES 5 disc unit in the system and it more open then the Marantz and sounds smoother which is weird.