Mary Poppins Returns

We decided to go see thks movie while on vacation. It was very, very good! I enjoyed it greatly, as did the rest of my family. It also has a great sound track, which I've listened to 3 times since last week (saying a lot, because I've gotten to listen to music 5 times.)

I was not expecting much at all, but I had a really good time. I do recommend that if you go to see it, make sure you are in a theater that has good sound.

Anyone else seen this movie and have any thoughts on it?

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Saw the trailer, but have not gone to movie yet.
    My biggest worry is that it looked like a lot of CGI. Is there an unusual amount, and is it rendered somewhat realistically?

I know most modern movies use some, but just wanted to find out first.
    Several movies are ruined for me, with loads of CGI, that often is very obvious.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    There is CGI in some scenes, but only where things actually shouldn't look real and are better that way. It is all done well when it is needed. :)
  • K_M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The original, it will be remembered, blended live action and cartoon characters in some scenes. CGI isn't so outrageous in that context, I'd opine.

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

Great point...!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2019
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Wait...you mean those weren't LIVE ACTION cartoon characters?!?!

Nope.....And I also learned a long time ago that an umbrella is incapable of flight.

You have no idea how disappointed my parents were that I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

You needed a longer take off
    lol
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The original, it will be remembered, blended live action and cartoon characters in some scenes. CGI isn't so outrageous in that context, I'd opine.

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

And that is also why it took so long for there to be a sequel. Pamela Tavers was horrified by what old Walt did to her characters in that movie, and the cartoons were the last straw.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2019

t9pu97eyfiv2.png

And that is also why it took so long for there to be a sequel. Pamela Tavers was horrified by what old Walt did to her characters in that movie, and the cartoons were the last straw.
    ain't it the truth?!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-did-pl-travers-the-prickly-author-of-mary-poppins-really-fare-against-walt-disney-180949052/
  • I don't know where I'm most disappointed:
    That the deer and butterflies weren't real (I still think they were) or that Ms. Travers was a cranky lady.

I'm just going to have to go watch my Star Wars documentaries,
    Sal Palooza
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    How bout something "new" instead of my generations burnouts that lack originality?
  • K_M
    afterburnt wrote: »
    How bout something "new" instead of my generations burnouts that lack originality?

I get truly sick of the onslaught of "Superhero" action movie series.
    I know they make a lot of money, but they tend to play mostly to a select type of person.
    Where are the "Great" movies, that were just movies?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Hollywood doesn't have anyone with original ideas. Those ideas cost money to come to fruition and cookie cutter for simpletons is where its at.
  • Hollywood is just marking time unless China takes over the movie industry completely.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Hollywood is just marking time unless China takes over the movie industry completely.

unless or until?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The "PC" culture has stifled original thinking and the creative process; that's why we get nothing but remakes of a remake of a remake. How many batmans now? What are we on, Star Wars part 47?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Saw the first 30-40 minutes of this movie over Christmas break. At about the 30 minute mark, the sound system started to fail in the theater (Horribly loud static & crackling from the side surround speakers, then from the rear speakers, and then from the front). After about 10 minutes of random static, a theater employee (out of breath) comes into the theater and informs us that they were having problems. I asked her if the amplifiers were failing, and somewhat surprised, she said yes. Then we smelled the burnt ozone odor... definitely a sound system failure!

What we saw was very good. Instead of waiting another hour for the next showing in another theater, we opted to see Welcome to Marwen instead (starting in just 5 minutes), so we still have yet to see the whole movie.

Regarding the trend in movies lately, both my daughters are so fed up with the remakes and reboots. To quote them, they constantly ask where are the original ideas anymore?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    scubalab wrote: »
    Regarding the trend in movies lately, both my daughters are so fed up with the remakes and reboots. To quote them, they constantly ask where are the original ideas anymore?
    Hopefully you scolded them for their poor grammar.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    She was in Star Wars as well just played by Carrie Fisher.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    As best I can understand it, Asia (primarily China) is where the real money is to be made in the entertainment business currently, so China's taste in Western (American) movies is fundamentally determining the industry's product.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    As best I can understand it, Asia (primarily China) is where the real money is to be made in the entertainment business currently, so China's taste in Western (American) movies is fundamentally determining the industry's product.

Yes there was a good piece on npr the other day that discussed how even Crazy Rich Asians didn’t fair well in Asia because, well, they have their own dramodies that are very successful. And drama and comedy and plot and dialogue driven movies in general as very culturally specific. Whereas huge CGI fests like transformations and aqua man are based more in the action and special effects and those so VERY well aboard. And since there is way more money to be made in Asia, studios are catering to that audience...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Hollywood is just marking time unless China takes over the movie industry completely.

unless or until?

Oooops ! I meant "Until". B)

Sal Palooza