Rti A7 Questions and Concerns

I am looking to get started with a basic but good-sounding 5.1 Home Theater/music listening setup. I recently purchased a Yamaha rx-v385 and have a polk psw110 sub. Since I only wanted a 5.1 setup, I didn't want to spend the extra money on a receiver with more channels but figured the rx-v385 is a decent first crack at an AVR.

This leads me to my next concern, what speakers should I get? I am looking to keep the budget for the pair under $1k, and had my eyes on the Rti A7's now for a while. My main concerns come from what I read on many of these forums:

1) They can be harsh in the high end for music (other than classical, jazz and acoustic) -- I am someone that listens to a lot of rock/alternative.

2) They are "power hungry".

Considering my AVR isn't the most powerful unit and does not have preouts, will these speakers still sound good with out an additional amp? Down the road I can always sell my AVR and upgrade, but for now this is the one I am sticking with.

Also, regarding the harsh highs, would taming down the treble slightly on the AVR's eq help diminish some of these harsh frequencies?

I have always been a fan of Polk and was really hoping to get these speakers, but I would really appreciate some honest feedback -- even if there are recommendations for other models/brand speakers with my current setup.

Thank you

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2019
    Your choice of receiver is where I would start. Yamaha and the RTi series are known to be a very bright pairing. With the power hungry nature of the A7's, you find yourself quickly running on the lean side of their power needs. Pioneer Elite AVR's tend to be a better fit. I would look for one that has pre-outs for the mains so you can add an external amp later on down the road.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • @nooshinjohn appreciate the feedback! I will look into the Pioneer selection and do some more digging.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Look at the Signature series. Good for both HT and music as well as being easy to drive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    If you have a sub, then I don't see the need for towers like the A7 with its dual 7" drivers. It's a tall order for that avr as was mentioned. Why not the A5?

Just out of curiosity, why did you pass on the Signature series? If you listen to lots of rock, then an S50 with that sub are probably a better match for that avr. You can walk into any best buy and listen to how much better they sound than the Klipsch display that sits right next to them.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I've used a Denon and currently a Onkyo with a External amp, with all my RTI A series speakers adding a AVR with preouts and a amp will improve the sound your experiencing. The RTIA's are geared more to home theater, but do a good job with music.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I would personally look into Marantz or Denon AVR, with pre-outs to pair with the A7’s.

I would save and look at a different sub. The A7’s, properly powered, will dig lower than the PSW 110.
  • @sponger thanks for the reply!

I thought about going for the A5s at first, but I was figuring having the mid-range driver would be a nice touch. I guess I should also mention that I am in an apartment, so I don't need extreme volumes by any means.

I had't had a chance to listen to the Signature series in person. Is the Signature series less bright in nature than the rti? The Klipsch sounded great to me, however, I'm not looking for extreme accuracy, which I felt they had -- I would prefer some nice color to the sound.
  • @rpf65 That is another option too, thank you!
  • @nooshinjohn I want to go give these a listen sometime next week. The signature seems like a good option for what I'm working with right now -- and since I plan on primarily listening to rock music but also for Home Theater.

Thank you for all the advice! I am fairly new to this stuff and really appreciate the help.
  • For what you are wanting to accomplish, the Sig series is hard to beat.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • @motorhead43026 Awesome, thank you for the help! I may lean toward the s50 vs. the 55 or 60 due to the limited power of my AVR, but will have to hear it in person first.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I had RTi speakers,now S60 much nicer for my 70's 80's rock
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    TSi series would pair well with that AVR. Not a lot of scratch.
  • Signature Series. Period.
    Sal Palooza
  • Thank you all for the help!

Assuming I lean toward the signature series, is there a tremendous difference in sound, particularly the high ranges, between the s50 and s55? Based on what I've heard about the RTI A7s -- if not properly setup -- they can be a little rough on the high frequencies, especially cymbals and hi-hats in rock music. I'm assuming the signatures are a little more forgiving?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk Dino!

I highly recommend getting the S60s, they handle both music and movies beautifully. There is no harshness from the tweeter at all, just crisp clear sound. Here is the review of my S60s I did back in 2017 when I got them. I hope you find it informative.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers/p1
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    is there a tremendous difference in sound, particularly the high ranges, between the s50 and s55?

No. Digital Trends magazine has a glowing review of the Signature series on youtube and concludes that any of the towers combined with a sub would do just as well as an S60.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775