Cutting the cord - Cable TV alternatives

2»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    You still have to get your internet connection from somewhere, so what happens is you will end up paying a higher cost from the start for just that connection and it will STILL go up year after year until you are right back where you are now.

Not necessarily. They need your business and they know u can now get your cable elsewhere. At first I had to pay about $20 more a month for internet, but was still saving more than that on cable. Now i negotiated my cable back down to the introductory rate because I’m a longtime customer and threatened to leave. Now I pay $40 for cable and $40 for YouTube which is half of what I used to pay for cable and internet...

Lucky you, Comcast is the only game in town for me.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Lucky you, Comcast is the only game in town for me.

Same. My options were Uverse (which we moved away from), DirectTV (Uverse Light w a "AWESOME" dish) for TV, using same DSL line as Uverse for internet, or Spectrum.

All are different shades of suck as far as download and upload speed.

The lack of competition has resulted in rates that aren't much different, providers being able to cap/throttle because you dont have much else to choose. And I'm not even in what most people would call a "rural" area.

That just irks me since I know a couple folks rolling with STUPID FAST fiber connections in other states......

It also irks me that when you look at packages they don't advertise both download AND UPLOAD speeds......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    I dropped DirecTV a couple months ago and went with Hulu Live. 43 bucks a month for all their on-demand stuff plus live channels plus all locals. No complaints so far.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    D'prived wrote: »
    I dropped DirecTV a couple months ago and went with Hulu Live. 43 bucks a month for all their on-demand stuff plus live channels plus all locals. No complaints so far.

I liked Hulu but didn’t like paying at extra 15 bucks for the DVR. With youtube it’s included, but you don’t get Hulu’s commercial-less on demand library. I would rather have the DVR.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I wish I could use You Tube along side the antenna for recording - dont think it will do local recording
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191

I liked Hulu but didn’t like paying at extra 15 bucks for the DVR. With youtube it’s included, but you don’t get Hulu’s commercial-less on demand library. I would rather have the DVR.

I don't know how long ago you had Hulu but now a DVR is included with 50 hours of recording time. It's an extra 15 bucks if you want 200 hours with their enhanced DVR. DVR is not that big of a deal to me since I hardly ever use it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

I don't know how long ago you had Hulu but now a DVR is included with 50 hours of recording time. It's an extra 15 bucks if you want 200 hours with their enhanced DVR. DVR is not that big of a deal to me since I hardly ever use it.

It was the same way. Basically all I use is the dvr...different strokes!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer