Are these B&W speakers and receiver worth 500?

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited January 2019 in The Clubhouse
I have a chance to aquire these. Anybody hear how they sound. I haven't researched them yet. I have to find the model out first.
v3ez5nh5hjdw.png
gtb2sbac8c7l.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
Post edited by Tony M on

Comments

• Tony M
    edited January 2019
    Well, I found out their model and I found a review of them. Great review too. Now to decide!!!
    They're the DM603 series 3 version.

This link says 805bw but it is for the DM603 series3 speakers I'm looking to buy.
    https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/805bw/index.html

Here's the center on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilkins-B-W-LCR600-S3-Center-Speaker-150W-NICE/192764967850?hash=item2ce1affbaa:g:Uq0AAOSw8PJcG7Nv:rk:18:pf:0

And the towers. Canuck audio. lasted one day...sold. 640.00 CAD.
    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649206987-bampw-bowers-and-wilkins-dm-603-s3-speakers-sorrento/
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    Well I found a ton of reviews ( there's a 100+ on the web ) and they're all super positive. B);) ..BUT...these speakers are going on close to being 20 years old.

One reviewer said they were 1K a pair. Stereophile.

Another said they were 2K a speaker...I don't think so! :s

I might ask for a big discount. :#
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I really love my 20 year old DM604’s (one mid, two woofers). Those are much prettier than mine though!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Are you buying them?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Tony M
    Not yet.

I was doing email tag with the guy. He takes a day to answer. He emailed me pictures tonight. It was way too late for me to do research and get back to him. I had planned on calling him in the morning since I've seen the speakers and receiver from his pictures now. He wouldn't tell me the model. I did enough research to feel I'm interested but it's up to him to see if he'll discount the price for me. I didn't know they were almost 20 years old. Heck, I didn't know WHAT they were for 36 hours. :D

Why do you ask?
  • Tony M
    edited January 2019
    Going to bed now. good night. zzzzzzzZZZZZ
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Why is 20 year old speakers an issue for you ? SDA'S are older, and command a good buck still. My LEGACY 20/20's were that old, and they still sell for a good buck.

It's not necessarily age, but how well a speaker is taken care of, quality, and of course sound, that would dictate a decent price.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Regardless what others say, I really like my 703s. It took a while to get to know them in terms of placement. They are about 8 ft apart and about 18" away from the back wall and 36" from side walls. I've had to really understand Audyssey and mic placements. Anyway all this to say I find mine to be the best speakers I have heard in a very long time.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    No idea on the price. Pics look good.

FWIW, I have a 30+ year old set of DM4's, are not really comparable to those but occasionally I'll pull them out, put them on an old SX780 and they sound really good.

Then again I'm a vintage guy who's easily impressed... :D
  • Tony M
    Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Haven't I read on here that you're supposed to recap speakers that are 20 years old?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You don't have to do anything, but electronics that have 20yr old caps could probably use a refurb. There's better quality caps now days.

The question would actually be, "do you like the sound enough to spend the time and money"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2019
    Tony M wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Haven't I read on here that you're supposed to recap speakers that are 20 years old?

Depends on the capacitors used originally.
    If they were oil-filled (e.g., the early AR acoustic suspension loudspeakers), they're typically good forever (to a good approximation) and, in most cases, sonically superb.

If they are 20 year old NP nonpolarized electrolytics (that were junky even when new, and used primarily to control costs), then the loudspeakers'll almost certainly benefit from refreshing -- even with modern NP electrolytics! :)

That said, above all else, always remember:

all generalizations are false, including this one.

B)
  • Tony M
    Well, he gave me a 100 discount and will deliver the system to me.

I told him I will think about it today and maybe tomorrow too.

It would be 400.00 now if I say yes. :p

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I picked up a pair of DM601 S3 (basically the bookshelf version of these) for my daughter a couple years ago. Paired with a nice Kenwood TT and a Carver receiver, they sound very good. Are these worth $400? That is subjective. I think I paid under $100 for the 601s and felt it was a very good deal for the sound. These are the bigger model, include a center, and a fairly beefy AVR and CD changer. Easily $100+ in extras. So, I'd think its a good price. Go for it!

Based on this sold eBay auction, I'd say $400 is a great deal...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-BOWERS-AND-WILKINS-DM603-S3-FLOORSTANDING-SPEAKERS/163328329643?hash=item26072087ab:g:93AAAOSwds9b0KPa
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I also had a pair of the DM601S3s and loved them.
    I left them with an ex since I had built a wall unit for the TV and the speaker openings were based on those dimensions.

Sorry for the stupid Photobucket watermarks...

otd9m1mvgd2q.jpg
    aamdgj0n8bsd.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    If it’s b&w and they’re affordable I’d jump on any model floor standing speaker of theirs! Nice speakers he’s got there too, very pretty
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Willow wrote: »
    Regardless what others say, I really like my 703s. It took a while to get to know them in terms of placement. They are about 8 ft apart and about 18" away from the back wall and 36" from side walls. I've had to really understand Audyssey and mic placements. Anyway all this to say I find mine to be the best speakers I have heard in a very long time.

Do u have the original 703 or the new ones?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I think they look real nice, look like they where taken care of and I have heard them plenty of times to speak on how they perform.
    I enjoy them for 2 channel and I also enjoy them in a 5.1 system with a pair of Leasure Monitors as surround speakers. I have done that exact system but with a Rotel Receiver. The Onkyo model of them where thin sounding so you may not like the way B&W and Onkyo go together. The Onkyo can make the 600 series sound a bit thin. but with a good quality receiver like a Rotel or a Pioneer Elite the DM's will shine and impress.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I have a pair of the 601's that I use for things like testing a receiver or amp, something I don't care about damaging. The DM line was a lower level line that was introduced to big box stores. They have a very "hot" treble range.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Joey_V wrote: »

Do u have the original 703 or the new ones?

The original ones.
  • Tony M
    Thanks guys. ;)
  • Tony M
    I've held on to my 400.00. :|

I just have a 50/50 want for these now. I certainly don't need another Onkyo receiver and CD changer. But I would've taken it if he'd have just come down some more. I bet they sound great though.