Hey Apple... This Is Why The Haters

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
edited January 2019 in The Clubhouse
Been using an aftermarket Lightning Cable (supposedly certified) every night to charge my iPhone for over a year. Then the other day JUST my iPhone decided it doesn’t like the cable anymore.

I have had this happen with older Apple devices long ago, but they would still charge with the unsupported accessory. This time, no dice - my phone will NOT charge anymore with this one cable. :'(

axhgnluw7fad.jpeg

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That's pathetic. Yet another reason why I will never use an Apple product.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2019
    FWIW -- The parallels between Apple's closed architecture "ecosystem" and Henry Ford's "Model T" approach to customers* has always struck me as obvious.

:p

... and not that I such a fan of the "wintel" world, other than its egalitarian, open architecture ethos -- libetarian that I am, stuff like Linux kind of appeals to me more... and I've drifted in and out of the open source world a couple of times (again, FWIW).

So, yeah, I feel your pain.

* Ford said of his products (for a long time) that the customer could have a Model T in "any color you want -- as long as it's black". The Model T had lots of "closed architecture" idiosyncracies (two-wheel brakes, planetary gearbox, solid tires, gravity fuel flow) long after other manufacturers had "modernized" their cars and, truth be told, towards the end of the Model T's run, most mod cons were adopted by Ford :p On the other hand, Ford is still around as an independent company (more or less), more than 90 years after the demise of the Model T :|
  • mhardy6647
    In fairness, though, it may be that your cable (or the connection in the Apple device) may just be worn out. :) I have heard that the Apple world is a little more subject to connector fatigue (so to speak) than the USB connector world.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In fairness, though, it may be that your cable (or the connection in the Apple device) may just be worn out. :) I have heard that the Apple world is a little more subject to connector fatigue (so to speak) than the USB connector world.

I get that message with aftermarket cables as well, after some time, but when I swap it out with a new aftermarket one, no issue. I agree that the cable fatigue phenomena is still annoying.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Well, as a former (no kidding!?!) technology strategist (albeit in biotech, not "high tech"), I would say that the development of hardware that is small, expensive and fragile (glass screens?!?) was a master stroke along the evolutionary pathway of planned obsolesence.

But that would be an awfully cynical thing for me to say,so I shan't. ;)

j6nmtmfrpes8.png
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I get the same pretty frequently with my three adapter connection in my car.

Normally means the connection needs cleaning (the prongs on the adapter) and then it’s solved.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647

Normally means the connection needs cleaning (the prongs on the adapter) and then it’s solved.

how do you clean those itty-bitty connectors? DeOxit?
    (this is meant to be a actual, serious question)
  • verb

Yep, the one's in the car get pretty fatigued. How do you clean em? Do you use a solvent?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    I'd clean the cable end with 91% alcohol. The phone end nothing but a small soft toothbrush. Even my android needs the lint and dust removed. Canned air also works or just blowing it out.

Arf Apple never in my lifetime!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'd clean the cable end with 91% alcohol. The phone end nothing but a small soft toothbrush. Even my android needs the lint and dust removed. Canned air also works or just blowing it out.

Arf Apple never in my lifetime!!

^This

Although honestly in a pinch I’ve just rubbed it between my fingers before or physical scrapped the end with my nail (on the cable, not inside the phone :smile: )
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Apple has been making me more and more furious over the years with their constant changing of ports on their devices, yet NOT including anything with said device for backwards compatibility.

I bought one of the new iPad 12.9" models in Dec. I get it home, go to plug it into my TWO YEAR OLD iMac and what do you know...they only include a USB-C to USB-C cable. Yeah Apple, only Mac's from 2018 (I believe) have USB-C ports. Did they think to include an extra cable or adaptor that probably cost $1 to make in China...oh no. It's OUR privilege to have to go out and spend more money so it will work. I called Apple first to express my anger (which they don't care), then returned it to Best Buy. They looked at me funny when I said the iPad was not compatible with my iMac, then explained. I offered to keep it if they gave me an adaptor for free, which they declined, so i got a full refund.

Apple was crying lately saying their sales were hurt by the trade war. Now Tim Cook has gone on record saying sales in the US, Europe and other countries have simply not been as strong as they hoped. Yeah, you're pricing people out of the ability to upgrade. Not to mention the carriers cutting back on subsidies, which increases the cost to consumers. China is creating their knock-off iPhones which of course...are hurting your sales. It's not hard to figure out Tim!

I seriously hope Apple goes through a big rough stretch for a few years to maybe knock them back to reality. Really, all it would have taken was to put a $1 (their cost) adaptor in the box and I would have kept the iPad.
    No excuses!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Any color, as long as it is a shade of Apple.
  • mhardy6647
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Apple has been making me more and more furious over the years with their constant changing of ports on their devices, yet NOT including anything with said device for backwards compatibility.
    Apple is supremely and irrevocably future focused :p
    I seriously hope Apple goes through a big rough stretch for a few years to maybe knock them back to reality. Really, all it would have taken was to put a $1 (their cost) adaptor in the box and I would have kept the iPad.

me, too (despite the drag that'll be on the economy. Sometimes, gotta lose the battle to win the war).

:|
  • mhardy6647
    So -- we lived in the Silicon Valley for a couple of years when our kids were very young. We lived in a pretty low-rent town by Valley standards -- Milpitas. This was also in the days after Prop 103 (or whatever it was) when the CA schools had been already devastated by a lack of funding. The schools were in bad shape, but the computer "labs" were full of shiny new Apple hardware of various kinds.

Apple was smart, in their fairly early days, focusing on the education market. Indoctrinate today's kids, since they are tomorrow's consumers.

oops, gonna need to post the Andy Rooney JPG again :p
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I only use my iPhone six plus and iPad Pro 12.9. Been that way for the last six years. No issues and awesome performance. I use a Galaxy S7 and toughbook for work and IMHO they both suck spring water. I will admit I am a simpleton that is happy that something’s just work. To each his own. That’s what makes America Great!
    Loves yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I think I may be the typical iPhone owner (model 6) who refuses to upgrade since my current phone is fine and the headache and expense of upgrading is not worth it. Plus, the cost of 5 i phones in one family aint cheap! Perhaps Apple stock is suffering due they built their older phones too well?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Actually since carriers like Verizon or ATT are not giving the deals like $200 to upgrade to the newest and ATT/Verizon eating the difference. I know they have the 20-24mo payment deal but like you with a family of 5 that's an extra $150+mo for the 5 phones. I just upgraded from my 6plus to the X only because Assimilated gave me a heck of a deal.

The phones have practically doubled in cost from the 6's to the latest...that just gets expensive
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kevhed72
    Exactley....double the cost with minimal improvement in phone function. What resolution do you really need for this tiny screen before the human eye cannot really tell the difference.
  • verb
    For years the Mrs and I would get a new identical iPhones for Christmas. A couple of years ago, I decided to only get her one, and now as she upgrades, I get her hand me down. No complaints, and saving some bucks! :smile:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'm not doing a full upgrade till the 5G phones roll out (1st qtr 2019)

Then I'll pass my wife this X
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I think I read somewhere that 70% of Apple sales are iPhones. Amazing if true.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • kevhed72
    edited January 2019
    I still have my iPad 2 which has been dropped on its corner and lost in the seatback of a SW flight...kudos to Southwest on getting it back to me!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I still have my iPad 2 which has been dropped on its corner and lost in the seatback of a SW flight...kudos to Southwest on getting it back to me!

But you don’t get any support or updates on that right? And you are stuck with older apps.

I agree that upgrading every year or even two is pretty silly at this point, especially since Apple is really working hard at supporting older devices now. I’ll keep my 7 plus for at least another year, probably two. It hurts apple sales in the short run, but chances are my whole family will have apple devices for a long time, so repeat business is better imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kevhed72
    I havent had any issues downloading apps and I do receive updates to the ipad, but perhaps not as many as my phone (?)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that 70% of Apple sales are iPhones. Amazing if true.
    Love yours. D

Yes a lot of truth to that the phones saved them from a certian demise several years back.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I havent had any issues downloading apps and I do receive updates to the ipad, but perhaps not as many as my phone (?)

Then it’s an iPad Air 2, not an iPad 2 lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I think I may be the typical iPhone owner (model 6) who refuses to upgrade since my current phone is fine and the headache and expense of upgrading is not worth it. Plus, the cost of 5 i phones in one family aint cheap! Perhaps Apple stock is suffering due they built their older phones too well?

We have a couple of the same model, feel no need to "upgrade"....which means incremental changes and differences, but a lot more money...
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    IPads > Android Tablets
    IPhones < Android Phones

Yes it's that simple.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • kevhed72
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Then it’s an iPad Air 2, not an iPad 2 lol...
    Im pretty sure its not an air. When I download a new app to my phone, it also shows up on my iPad....
  • kevhed72
    edited January 2019
    IPads > Android Tablets
    IPhones < Android Phones

Yes it's that simple.

eh....I went thru several Android phones before settling on an iPhone. All the Android stuff seemed jenky to me. Maybe I should give the Windows phone a try😂