U2 Joshua Tree - 30th Anniversary Vinyl

Bought this a few months ago but just listened to it for the first time last night.

There are two LP's with this edition so assumed one LP was the original album and the other was bonus material of some sort. I was only interested in the original album. Come to find the original album is spread over two records here. Was so disappointed. Each side was only 10-15 minutes long. Totally wrecked the the momentum of the original album.

Why would it have been done this way? Have never seen anything like it.

The quality of this pressing is amazing mind you, but will be seeking out a non-deluxe original of it.
Parasound P5 Pre
Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
Outlaw 7500 Amp
Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
Rega Planar 2 TT
Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
Oppo BDP-103

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Not sure why they did it on 2. Mine is the same way.
    On a side note, ever notice bullet the blue sky sounds a lot like stranglehold?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    ha ha - never noticed the similarity of Bullet the Blue Sky to Stranglehold. Will listen for that next time.
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Inner groove distortion - a marketing ploy to inflate the price.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2018
    The Joshua Tree album was a bit longer than their previous ones. A hair over 50 minutes vs around 42 for earlier albums, and probably they focused primarily on the CD release when it came out in 1987. Both of my original pressings, US and European, fit on a single LP though.

Only having ten minutes of music before having to get up would be annoying. But, the next three re-released albums on vinyl are spread over two LPs too.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Yeah, I hate when they do that, too. Great description - wrecks the momentum.

When I first started getting records again, I didn't mind it so much, because it was fun being involved, messing with everything, but now, yeah, I just want to play the album and just change sides once. There are some albums that will have their experience more greatly affected than others with this interruption. DSOTM is one that comes to mind.

There are a few albums I've picked up as reissues with this double record thing, but I've ended up going back to find the original issues, which were on a single record.

At least you find this version of TJT to be a nice press. That's another thing that's hit or miss - recording and press quality.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    msg wrote: »

There are a few albums I've picked up as reissues with this double record thing, but I've ended up going back to find the original issues, which were on a single record.

Joshua Tree is the first double-record thing I've come across since getting back into vinyl two years ago. Didn't know this was done until now. It's a deal breaker for me. Now at least I know what to look for.
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Oppo BDP-103
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Who would want this and what were they thinking (besides charging more for a double album)? It would be annoying enough on a CD where all you have to do is hit next on the remote. On vinyl forget it....................
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2019
    Speaking of which, just left there this morning. In real life it’s in color. And the grain is a lot tighter.

cnd5tux57lvu.jpeg

p29wjxoz21rd.jpeg

n3lejrrkrq7r.jpeg

7j5ew2922x8g.jpeg

s1iqcpjsj162.jpeg

k87b3dbgmy6d.jpeg

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Wow. Some amazon pics!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Thanks, Ernie. Difficult to make a bad photo there, honestly. Like fishing in a stocked pond.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto