Folks are nuts for not putting in RDO on SDA

Options
Anyone with SDA that has not swapped the tweeters for RDO's you have no idea what your missing. I have had 1.2 and original 2.3 with the donut driver. I sold them when I lost my basement to bedrooms. I never changed the tweeters but man after hearing the difference on the 3.1TL, the difference to my ears is huge.

If i can hear that big of a difference just using a pioneer elite sc27, i can imagine anyone putting better components behind them might even yield a bigger difference. Eventually i am changing to an integrated.

It really feels like i got different speakers. I can't wait to do more to them.

On a different note, i feel it is amazing Polk is still supporting 30+ year old speakers. Be sure to mention you are part of club polk to get a discount and shipping was free.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Well my next upgrade got pushed back due to some knucklehead dangling a 1000va dreadnought if front of my face.
    LOL
    So its going to happen AFTER we get this dreadnought thing done.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I might be doing mine a bit backwards. The tweeters, dreadnought, then maybe rings or crossover. So much to do so little time / funds.

Ivan, i will buy the first drink at Axpona for you! >:)
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I might be doing mine a bit backwards. The tweeters, dreadnought, then maybe rings or crossover. So much to do so little time / funds.

Ivan, i will buy the first drink at Axpona for you! >:)

2 is much easier than 6 my friend, you did good.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Ture but still wish I would have done it when I had the 1.2’s
  • erniejade
    Options
    I am still surprised how good they sound through an ice powered AVR. This one has the b&o ice chips. Still want to upgrade since the darn bug has bitten me once again.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Btw, running in direct mode no dsp but using the crossover for the sub.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Yeah I like them a lot. They recess the soundstage for me which is good as my components are a little forward.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Run them full range just for the halibut and see how they sound. The tweeters were also my first upgrade when I got my 3.1’s out of necessity. The SL-3000’s were making strange noises and had to go!
    Change the crossover settings to run them full range and put a good LP on the 1200 and see what you’re missing ;)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Agree a must have. I made the switch when I had my SDA's and it really made a nice diference!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Just wait till you change out those old caps with some modern film,
    Audio heaven awaits
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• erniejade
    Options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Somebody's got the SDA bug....again. Rock on Brian.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    Crossover first... Unless you already have the rings, I don’t think Larry has a new run of them planned.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am not sure the original tweeters are "that" bad, as some actually like them better and so on. But think that has a lot to do with hearing, as the original ones had a bit of a bump up in the treble.

I prefer the new ones of course, but can see where it is not universal and probably listener dependent.

The other aspect, I have wondered if over time, the original tweeters sound changes or becomes "harsher" sounding or more distortion or something, maybe due to the materials or glues used etc.

With my ears I do not remember the originals being the same as they are now or having any issue with them...so who knows.

anyways, changing to newer caps, made a far bigger difference. Amazing how gradually sound changes, and one is not truly aware till they hear the difference.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Just wait till you change out those old caps with some modern film,
    Audio heaven awaits

In our experience just changing them to the standard dayton audio caps made a very big difference.
  • erniejade
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks all. Crossover it is!

@K_M The original tops on the 3.1 vs the LSI25 I have side by side, the 25's was smoother and to me a bit less in your face. The RDO only have about 20-25 hours on them now but to me they are quite a bit smoother vs the original. Unfortunately, the first time I heard 3.1's is like 30 ? years ago and for the life of me, I do not remember if the top bring as in your face as I heard on these before the change. Although, my hearing has changed as well as my taste. Younger I was searching for the "truth" in sound and now, I just want what sounds good to me or what moves me.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Somebody's got the SDA bug....again. Rock on Brian.
    The 3.1TL sound a bit different vs the 1.2 ( NON TL) and the 2.3 with the donut drivers. BUT again, I had the others in a huge basement. The 3.1TL are in the living room. OR it could be they like the Pioneer sc27 B&O Ice amp and it could be a synergy type thing. I guess until I get an integrated or something a bit beefier, if I want to know LOL.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    I am not sure the original tweeters are "that" bad, as some actually like them better and so on. But think that has a lot to do with hearing, as the original ones had a bit of a bump up in the treble.

I prefer the new ones of course, but can see where it is not universal and probably listener dependent.

The other aspect, I have wondered if over time, the original tweeters sound changes or becomes "harsher" sounding or more distortion or something, maybe due to the materials or glues used etc.

With my ears I do not remember the originals being the same as they are now or having any issue with them...so who knows.

anyways, changing to newer caps, made a far bigger difference. Amazing how gradually sound changes, and one is not truly aware till they hear the difference.

Kelly yes the Sl 2000 dome material (polyamide) does not age well at all. Yes that 12 or 13 khz hump never did them any favors at all. The Sl3000 though a better tweeter than the sl2000 still started life with the same polyamide dome material then had a vapor flash of metals to it.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

I agree with @K_M
    I did notice a difference when I put in the new tweeters. However the bigger difference was all of the upgrades that I did upon the last group buy. Of course I cannot give an objective dissertation about what changed what, as I did EVERYTHING. Including the new crossovers, the black hole 5 and the transformer.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've been itching to take my 194s out of the 11t and put them on my 12b just for poops and giggles. I know they are not the replacements for the oem peerless but why not give them a try.

I myself never had an issue with the oem silver dome in my 11t until I put the 194s in and wow what a improvement all around. Well worth the $$$. Imaging is spooky good.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Got RD0198s in my 3.1TLs and the mail man just brought me more RD0198s for my Monitor 10s2s ... love em.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)