Would this choke the amp?

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
My main goals for this is Protection (Florida lightning strikes) and secondly to help lower the noise floor. I get a low hum/buzz from the speakers (possible ground loop) when no music playing. You have to be up pretty close to hear it. But it still bothers me

Most of my system runs off a Belkin PurAV PF60 power station. The only items not on it due to thier location in the room are the Parasound 2250v2, NAD 906, Yaquin CD3 buffer and the TV.

I was wanting to buy a Furman PST-8 for those items. They are all at the front of the room.

The amps are only ever on one at a time. One or the other.

Anyone think this would choke the Parasound? It states max of 15 amps. I think the breaker that plug is on is also 15 amp.

Thanks

http://www.furmanpower.com/product/15a-8-outlet-surge-suppressor-wsmp-lift-evs-and-2-filtered-banks-PST-8 DIG

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    A slight hiss from the tweeters when a foot or less away is common. If that's what you are hearing a surge protector isn't going to remove it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    Ok thanks F1. That is exactly what it is.

So what about another issue I'm having. My subwoofer amp is in the back of the room and plugged into a Panamax MD2. Now that I think of it the TV is also on one. Both of these two plugs are the regular house wire. The Belkin for my other equipment is on a dedicated 10awg line with it's own breaker.

Sorry, I ran on a bit there. Anyways the subwoofers get what sounds to be about 50hz hum when the microwave (that is on other side of the house) is turned on. Even though it's on the Panamax.

Is this just feedback? Really does not bother me to much since the microwave is not always being used.

I wish I knew enough to build a sub panel on this 10awg line with an isolation transformer.
    yy3oztu4w4ue.jpg
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I had a similar (continuous*) problem I traced to the DirecTV dish. Got the hum** down to near-silent** by routing the coax through my APC H15.
    * appliances didn’t affect the level; late night “quiet” viewing was tough.
    ** ear against speaker can bearly hear it.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CH46E
    Yes, I had the same issue with the ground loop from DirecTV equipment.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ok, a surge protector has one job, to help prevent damage from a power surge. It is not and therefore will not perform as a power conditioner. A good conditioner would likely stop the issue with the microwave noise. FYI, most power conditioners are also surge protectors and good ones aren't cheap.

Of course, if you can run a dedicated line to the sub and TV or one to the microwave you won't have the noise issue.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    I have been thinking about running two more outlets off of the 10 awg line. The one under the TV would be a real PITA.

As F1 mentioned I'm pretty sure this little Panamax is only surge protection and not conditioning like my Belkin.

Would be nice if I could just get an isolation transformer on the 10 awg line before the outlet.

Thanks again.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    To answer the original question, yes, it would choke the amp.

You want a power conditioner that is not current limiting. Ps audio products fit that Bill and may take care of some of that noise too. The quintet or Dectet are fairly cheap and we'll worth it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @CH46E this guy don't like isolation transformers https://youtu.be/D4uwR5UMn_s
  • CH46E
    Wow, that AC regenerater is huge. Went to PA Audio sight. The price tag is equally huge. Nice stuff but far out of my budget. Thanks for the info though. Maybe I should just leave the lines alone and work on cable management and ground options.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited December 2018
    @CH46E I don't think my gear is worthy of that regenerator lol. I do have some of their wall thingys, they were half price!
  • CH46E
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @CH46E I don't think my gear is worthy of that regenerator lol.

That's a better way of putting it! Same here buddy!