connecting parasound preamp to amp

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited December 2018 in Electronics
I have not used my Parasound HCA 1500A amp in some time and am setting it up again today to my Parasound P/LD 1500 preamp but am not sure to which set of outputs on the back of the preamp the amp gets connected to. The preamp has 3 options for output: Balanced output jacks (3 prong non RCA) and two options for Unbalanced output (RCA jacks): Direct Polarity fixed and normal
polarity switchable. Should I connect the amp to the preamp’s direct polarity fixed or to the normal polarity switchable jack? What is the difference. I only have a RCA cable, and the amp has a RCA input so I will be using a RCA cable. Thanks.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    You should find your answer looking at the owners manual here; ;)

Sorry.
    I thought I had your manual but it was for the P/SD1500.

I see it's a hard manual to find.

I found a link but you need to log in and I can't at the moment.

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    You should find your answer looking at the owners manual here; ;)
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/120366/Parasound-P-Sp-1500.html
    Thanks, Tony, but I have the P/LD 1500 preamp and not the P/SP 1500. i have not found an owner’s manual online for the P/LD 1500. It is a pretty rare preamp. However, from looking at the Parasound P/LD 1100 and P/LD 2000 preamp manuals, the P/LD 1500 has similar output jacks as those models. The problem is that the P/LD 1100 and P/LD 2000 owner’s manuals just state that the preamp has 2 different unbalanced output connections (direct polarity fixed and normal polarity switchable) but does not explain the difference between the two.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    It's strange that Parasound doesn't feel the need to explain in their manuals which does what.

I feel they expect us or the owner to KNOW which does what. I know polarity but do you have another switch to manually change the polarity on the back also to go along with that manual switchable switch? :s

I'm still trying to learn the 3 or 4 types of speaker connection types and how to wire them. A friend told me there are 3 and 4 wire speak-on connectors :s .. I just haven't studied them near enough yet. But I hope too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    It's strange that Parasound doesn't feel the need to explain in their manuals which does what.

I feel they expect us or the owner to KNOW which does what. I know polarity but do you have another switch to manually change the polarity on the back also to go along with that manual switchable switch? :s

I'm still trying to learn the 3 or 4 types of speaker connection types and how to wire them. A friend told me there are 3 and 4 wire speak-on connectors :s .. I just haven't studied them near enough yet. But I hope too.

• pglbook
    the 2 unbalanced outputs are: direct polarity fixed and normal (not manual) polarity switchable. It is strange Parasound does not explain the difference between the two in their owner’s manuals.
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018
    the Parasound owner’s manual for the P/LD 2000 preamp just says there are 2 types of unbalanced outputs: one pair is direct with fixed polarity output and the other is normal with polarity switchable by a precision relay. But it does not explain the difference between the two. My P/LD 1500 preamp has the same outputs as the P/LD 2000. Does it make a difference which output I connect my amp to?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The JC2 is set up a little differently. It has a set of outputs that invert polarity all the time, and a set that function normally but can be inverted or direct from a button on the remote. The way I understand the old style higher-end Parasound two channel preamps is they offered a direct output from one set and also offered a set that function normally but can be switched between inverted or direct from a button on the remote.

A normal setup with the P/LD 1500 or 2000 should use the "normal" outputs that offer the opportunity to switch polarity. Some people like to experiment and invert polarity with recordings they know to have been recorded in an unusual way. Those preamps offered the option of switching easily. I also think they were designed in the early 1990s when potential owners of the preamps would have been likely to have wanted the option to invert polarity to match the amps they already had. No lost sales that way, but the option was in no way a sales gimmick.

On the other hand, Parasound amps do not invert polarity so the direct outputs are also a sound choice. They just don't offer the ability to switch polarity or play around with different recordings. It may be of benefit to try both sets to see if there is an audible difference. The direct outputs may indeed offer a more direct signal path and sound better because of it. Chances are there is no difference though since those older preamps were very well designed.
  • pglbook
    Thanks, emlyn. That makes sense as the preamp has a polarity inverted switch on its front so maybe the switchable polarity output on the back works in combination with that. I connected the amp and preamp (using the fixed polarity output jack) about 2 hours ago but now the problem is that there is no sound. i checked all connections and I think they are all fine. Both power amp and preamp turn on fine but no sound comes out of speakers. How can I tell if the problem is the preamp or power amp? I had them both sitting idle for some time. Could that cause a problem?
  • pglbook
    edited December 2018
    I'll start another thread on the issue of no sound
  • 2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    duplicate
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• pglbook
    Thanks motorhead. I had also seen that but unfortunately it won’t let you access the owner’s manual.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    That's weird, I click on my link and it opens right up. Go to hifiengine and sign up, it is free. But may be you already have?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

• pglbook
    That's weird, I click on my link and it opens right up. Go to hifiengine and sign up, it is free. But may be you already have?
    I clicked and saw you had to sign up
    but did not so because I was not familiar with the site. i’ll sign up tomorrow (on my way out now) since it is free. Thanks.